• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Vibrato in GPO strings

Share/Bookmark

Question Vibrato in GPO strings

Hi to all,

I just purchased the group buy version of GPO which enjoy very much. I have one question for now: I noticed that some of the strings instruments have a significant amount of constant vibrato if the note is sustained. Is there any way to simulate say a violin which starts with a vibrato and then if the note is long enough it stops? In other words, is it possible to manage the vibrato of the instruments the same way as other expression modes? My personal opinion is that constant vibrato in a long note sounds a little mechanical.
    Thanks in advance

Re: Vibrato in GPO strings

There is no way to control the vibrato amount in the solo strings as it is part of the sample. This is a drawback of all sample libraries currently. The only other option is libraries that add LFO for vibrato but in my experience this sounds very fake.

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    There is no way to control the vibrato amount in the solo strings as it is part of the sample. This is a drawback of all sample libraries currently. The only other option is libraries that add LFO for vibrato but in my experience this sounds very fake.
    Thanks Haydn for the clarification. I have some experience with LFO and it takes a lot of tweaking to get it sound realistic but sometimes it works not bad (with all limitations of course). Regards

This won't solve your probelm, but one item I found fascinating is that if you load the solo violin and have it play a G below middle C, there is no vibrato - just as it is on a live violin, as it is an open string. You can't buy that kind of detail - oh wait, yes you can!

Great program.

R. Pearl

One of the solo cellos has vibrato on its low C, however!
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Hadn't checked the vibrato on the low C! I only found the lack of vibrato on the low G/violin when I was writing a piece, and noticed how differently it sounded (in a good way). Perhaps the Cello is re-tuned? Or maybe a subway was passing under your residence when you listened to it

R. Pearl

Maybe in Advanced there will be vibrato to non-vibrato crossfade patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Maybe in Advanced there will be vibrato to non-vibrato crossfade patches.
    What a good idea! I'll try to do crossfade for non-vibrato/vibrato Flute in Kontakt 2 tonight!
    sfiks

Cross-fades don't work with solo instruments as you will hear both instruments during the cross-fade. Cross-fades will work with ensemble instruments such as the string sections.

Well shiver me timbers, Haydn. Some of the tutorials demonstrate vibr to non vibr flute solos at garritan.com. I need a new parrot!

Go Back to forum