• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Monster Blackhole - by Andy Brick

The Monster Blackhole - by Andy Brick

Hi all,

I just finished this up and I thought i would post it and get some feedback. It was quite a ride. I got a call to do this piece in just 3 days from beginning to end including all writing, orchestrating and sequencing. Long long hours..... Its virtually all GOS strings - including the viola harmonics at the end. From GPO I used all sorts of stuff but drew heavily on the harp, timpani, and other stuff. Of course that lovely GPO contrabassoon plays a key role in introducing the fugue in 3 bassoons which accompanies the prelude to the entrance of the monster blackhole. The oddest thing I found was that about 3/4 of the way through I have a very low FF tuba introduce a recapitulation of the theme. I spent quite some time trying to find a tuba in that very low register at that dynamic that was in tune and I just didnt have it. Oddly when I used the one that had the best emotional content the fact that it was way out of tune on some of the notes seemed to add a great deal of realism to it and actually added something. Now that I come to think of it, I remember having troubles with a similar low tuba part on a live date. Anyway, The tricky thing on this was capturing the immense dynamic shifts that occur. Lots of CC1 all over the place.

OK Im open to comments .... Let me have it...

Phone: 917-327-0293
    Email: andy@andybrick.com
    Web: http://www.andybrick.com
    AIM: andybrick

Re: The Monster Blackhole

Well, I lack the training to offer any observations from a composer's point of view, but as a mere mortal just listening to it I found it quite enjoyable. It evokes emotion, which to me is the single most important aspect of any art form.

By the way, if you're going to leave the file up at this particular location, would you like for me to add it to the GPO Podcast?
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer

OK, Andy, I'll let you have it. If you drop by tonight I'll make you the biggest drink of your choice, then get you drunk enough so that you'll tell me how the heck you can write so well.

Let him have it. He's got to be kidding. This man's a genius and he still wants us to let him have it?

Well, I'll tell yah what, Andy, you just raised the bar about a foot and a half for the rest of us. Now won't you write something bad now so we’ll feel better?

Just masterful use of samples and your writing is as usual just awesome. You just got to love the bassoons Did you use the GPO percussion? And what did you use for the brass. They are so brassy, yet warmish. Just amazing I’m rambling on because I'm listening to it for the third time.

Sorry to hog so much space.

Great writing Andy!

That's some long reverb there bubba
    Very Cool!

Andy once again you've raised the bar. So from the bar I raise my glass!
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

West Seneca, NY

Thumbs up Re: The Monster Blackhole

I was able to hear this piece at work this morning. I don't know how to put into words the affect it had on me except to say, BRAVO!
    As for the drum "drone" FX sound, I couldn't hear because of the laptop speakers hardly reproduce low end.
    Regardless, awesome work Maestro!

A very dynamic piece, and a fun listen. Would work well as background (eww, hate that word!) music in a real planetarium...

Well done, Andy
    Steve A. Gallant

Absolutley Fantastic. If you don't mind me asking, are you notating or sequencing? I'm kinda assuming that you are using a sequencer, but i thought I would double check. Once again, absolutely FANTASTIC!!!

For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Hi Andy

Ive listened to it a few times now and it all sounds great to me! I especially love the mysterious bit round about 21 seconds and the stuff you did between 1.34 and 1.43. Fantastic!

Will this piece be recorded with a real orchestra? I realy hope so.

UK- teeming with life....

Re: The Monster Blackhole - by Andy Brick

I was really impressed with this Andy. There was a couple of things in the first few seconds (eg 6-7)which made me think that this was not going to be up to standard. The strings seemed as if played piano like with not enough attention to MIDI detail (I am also aware that you didn't sleep for a few days...so it's certainly excusable!! ....but after this I was just completely knocked out by the composition. Fantastic.

Brilliant effort.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast