• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tremelo on violin section

Share/Bookmark

Talking Tremelo on violin section

Folks. I'm trying to build a first violin section playing a tremelo Aminor triad. I've got 12 violins (4 of each of the different key-switch solo violins) split between 2 player instances and have divided the triad between the 12 in 3 groups of 4. It doesn't sound half as good as the separate section string tremelo sample. Does anyone know how many strings are in the first violin section string sample? Also, is this the best way to go about this, using 12 key switched violins? I can't think of an easier way. Cheers, CD

Re: Tremelo on violin section

Colin,
    The solo violins are not designed to be combined into sections. If you have more than 1 instance of the same solo violin playing the same note, phasing will occur between the (identical) samples. The "Plr" versions are designed to be combined in the manner you're describing...but they are not keyswitched. Phasing will also occur with the "Plr" voices if you use the same player in both of the 2 vln sections that you have created and then both sections play unison. And you cannot combine the "Plrs" with their own related "Solo" voice either (Guarn Solo with Guarn Plr, for example), for the same reasons.

Use the Vln sections--Sus+Short, Lush, etc--which are of 12 players (Vln I) and 10 players (Vln II). I you want to add a bit of presence to the sound, you can pair a different solo Vln with each section, for example, the Guarn with Vln I and the Strad with Vln II.
    Bill

Talking Re: Tremelo on violin section

Bill. Thanx for your reply. Next question, if, as I originally did, build the section from the player samples, how do I put tremelo on each player - is this something I add via a midi controller, e.g., ccSomeThingorOther? Am I correct in thinking that if you play a triad chord using the 1st violin section string samples I'm actually sounding 36 players instead of 12!!!

Musical inspiration is only 10% of the effort! Onwards and Upwards.

Cheers, CD

Quote Originally Posted by ColinD
    if I build the section from the player samples, how do I put tremelo on each player
    You would have to write the notes out. There is not a pre-programmed/sampled tremolo for the "Plr" samples

Am I correct in thinking that if you play a triad chord using the 1st violin section string samples I'm actually sounding 36 players instead of 12!!!
    I'd think of it as 12 violins playing triple stops--unless it's an impossible triad.
    Bill

Talking Re: Tremelo on violin section

Thanx Bill. I've tried writing out a tremelo for a single and have given up - that degree of precision in the piano roll/score window is impossible!! I'll stick with the section tremelo.

Cheers, CD

Here are some comments on the use and simulation of tremolo effects with violins (and other strings):

There are so many ways of 'deploying' the strings of an actual orchestra, in this case for the tremolo, that what is best sought is the 'effect' of it. What I would like to see is a set of variable tremolo samples (possibly the GOS has such a refinement), because the speed, and actually the articulation or 'choppiness' of the tremolo is quite a big factor.

It is also nice to toy with blends (whether writing for real groups or sample sets) eg. normal arco with tremolo, divisi, or 1sts and 2nds, soft trills with tremolo or standard arco, again divisi or across the sections. And with tremolo it is only really feasible to play 2 notes maximum, because of the geometry of the strings and bridge. And tremolo is almost always played in the upper half of the bow, often at the very tip, so it is not easy to 'catch' more than two strings up there, the bow hair at the tip is stiff and under a lot of tension. If you try to play 3, or 4 notes with a rapid stroke, even in the middle of the bow, you get scrubbing, not tremolo. I know of no scrubbing samples.

Anyway, don't be too preoccupied with how many players are doing what (ultimately for scoring you will have to give specific instructions if its not a straight divisi) but get the effect into the sequence to indicate that 'shimmer' - you should listen to CDs of repertoire, or better, go and see a string section (scoring stages use lots of tremolo if you can get in to the session) in action, that will be a great instruction for your ears and imagination.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers.

Go Back to forum