• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Removing audio

OT: Removing audio

Hi all,

A question for you: If I have a program like Vegas, say, and I'd like to take a movie clip or a piece of video which already has sound fx, music and speech, is it possible to only remove the music so that I can work on putting my own stuff to it? As far as I knew, these programs like Vegas only seperate the material into Audio and Video, with all the audio condensed onto one track. Is this true?

Is there a way and a program which will do this for me? Any advice is very much appreciated.

Steven J. Kukla

Re: OT: Removing audio

It's impossible.

A good technique is to find a movie which is fairly sparse on music and score a scene which should have had music in it. Perhaps someone can chime in with some examples.
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

If your DVD player has descreet outputs, analog outputs for all six speakers of 5.1, just tkae the center channel and run it into your computer. The center channel is used 90% for voice and sfx only - there is rarely music in the center channel. This won't be perfect mind you - but it will be close to what you're looking for.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Gotcha. Thanks for that.

Yes, any examples from folks would be appreciated... A sparsely scored film or scene that you thought could have used either more music, or a different soundtrack.

If anybody has small video clips lying around....

Steven J. Kukla

Well, while the film is very dated in most aspects, the 1931 Dracula is an early sound film with absolutely NO music whatsoever (except for a brief Tchaikovsky excerpt in the opening credits - which can obviously be muted). It might not be the sort of film you are looking for, but it is ideal for this sort of excercise.

In modern actionmovies there are some parts where the music suddenly stops in scenes where you don´t expect it.
    Normaly this is during fighting scenes or races to bring up the sound efx.
    Some of these scenes are 2-3 min. long and in the end, 50 people are dead.

Choose one of those if you want do to a big dramatic score.

Chris Hein

San Francisco Bay Area

Another idea is to get some really cool friends to add some custom ADR or FX over your picture =)

That's a good point about the ADR + FX... Too bad most of my Berklee friends are guitarists or drummers...

Thanks for the suggestion on the 1930's silent films and such. I was also thinking about looking to see if the TCM contest still had it's videos posted or something like that.

Let me ask this, now: when syncing audio to video, what programs do you all prefer?
    Steven J. Kukla

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_K
    Let me ask this, now: when syncing audio to video, what programs do you all prefer?
    Every major Sequenzer can handle video. Logic, Cubase, etc.

Please keep in mind, that you can use a published filmscenes only for private purpose.
    Even distributing it on a website is ilegal ! (Except when you are in china)

Chris Hein

Go Back to forum