• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Problems with GPO

Share/Bookmark

Problems with GPO

I am having recurring problems with the mod wheel and notes cutting off when using the solo violin (solo violin 1 gagli solo)... At the beginning of the track, I have inserted controller 1 to be at 85 and for controller 64 to be 127.... I am using Sonar 4... This is a very simple melody that can be played in no time at all... Every time I stop the piece in the middle, the mod wheel goes back to 0 and does not come back up, in spite of the fact I have it set for mod wheel at 85 ... While in the middle of playing this piece, which is like 20 measure and can be played by anybody, when sustaining a note, some notes will cut off in the middle of performance... It doesn't happen with every note, but it happens with the same notes in this performance when recording... These are NOT drop outs, the note simply stops playing... I can lean on that same note for a 1/2 hour when I'm not recording and it will not cut off...

Also, in segments of the composition, it will not play legato and switch back to stacatto playing... I am looking at the recorded midi events in event mode in Sonar and there is no controller changes other than at the beginning of the track...

Anyway, a performance that would have been recorded in all of 5 - 10 minutes, basically was not recorded at all, and after 2 hours, I didn't accomplish any work...

I do a lot of my work on the fly, and I can't afford to have a program crap out on me for very simple things like the ones described above... Does anybody know how to stop these problems from happening?? Thanks in advance...

Re: Problems with GPO

Are you using the DXi or VST version of the plugin? I would try using the VST and see if that helps.

Hi Joseph, thanks for reading... I'm using the VST version as was suggested in other posts... I figured this would eliminate programs...

Can you post an example then. It's so hard to diagnose problems based on descriptions of them.

All I can say is that it sounds like Sonar is losing the midi controller information in parts of the track. Cubase has done this to me before. My solution was to reinsert the controller information every few beats/measures.

This only matters if you are using static controllers like it sounds like you are.

The note dropouts could probably be from lost sustain information in the controller (therefor causing polyphony to be higher therefor notes get dropped) or lost modulation data (causing the volume to drop to near 0.)

Well, the only thing I could do is upload a picture of the event view in Sonar... But note values have complete length, so I don't know why it's playing them like a 16th note and stopping...

If the only way that this program is going to work is by me inserting mod wheel update in the track, I'm going to have to send it back, cause that's not the way the rest of the world works...

I also want to state that this is not a complicated piece, and the place where the problems happen, there are only two instruments playing, the solo violin, and lush cellos playing an accompaniment...

So, is putting up a picture of event info going to help/work??

I don't think this forum allows uploading images... At least it won't work for me...

Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro
    I am having recurring problems with the mod wheel and notes cutting off when using the solo violin (solo violin 1 gagli solo)... At the beginning of the track, I have inserted controller 1 to be at 85 and for controller 64 to be 127.... I am using Sonar 4... This is a very simple melody that can be played in no time at all... Every time I stop the piece in the middle, the mod wheel goes back to 0 and does not come back up, in spite of the fact I have it set for mod wheel at 85 ... While in the middle of playing this piece, which is like 20 measure and can be played by anybody, when sustaining a note, some notes will cut off in the middle of performance... It doesn't happen with every note, but it happens with the same notes in this performance when recording... These are NOT drop outs, the note simply stops playing... I can lean on that same note for a 1/2 hour when I'm not recording and it will not cut off...

Also, in segments of the composition, it will not play legato and switch back to stacatto playing... I am looking at the recorded midi events in event mode in Sonar and there is no controller changes other than at the beginning of the track...

Anyway, a performance that would have been recorded in all of 5 - 10 minutes, basically was not recorded at all, and after 2 hours, I didn't accomplish any work...

I do a lot of my work on the fly, and I can't afford to have a program crap out on me for very simple things like the ones described above... Does anybody know how to stop these problems from happening?? Thanks in advance...
    Wild guess: in Sonar, check Options, project, midi out, patch/controller searchback before play starts.

Richard

Wild guess: in Sonar, check Options, project, midi out, patch/controller searchback before play starts.
    I'll check it out tonite Richard, thanks...

This may be related, but what is the Velocity set to for the violin? The stronger the attack, the more articulated/seperate the sounds are - at least to my ears, on my system. In faster passages, I've had the opposite problem: too legato; by increasing the velocity, the notes are attacked more strongly, and thus are more distinct. It probably has to do with the fact that the bow has to leave the string earlier to effect the follow attack (?). Just a guess.

R. Pearl

Hi Rpearl, thanks for responding... Actually, velocity is normal, this is a very lyrical melody, I"m playing it into the sequencer normally, other GPO tracks are playing back fine, they are seeing the initial CC#1 value and remaining there and responding to the CC#64 value too... For whatever reason, this particular track is being problematic...

When I get a chance again, which will probably be tomorrow, I'm going to scrap it and start again and save the parts of the file that work, re-record the track and see what happens.... Basically, since I"m just composing the piece at this point, I'm not too concerned about "expression" or things of that nature.... I just want it to stay at one level so I can hear what I'm doing... So, we'll see what happens tomorrow...

Go Back to forum