• Register
  • Help

Topic: my first attempt with GPO

Share/Bookmark

my first attempt with GPO

http://jorn.lavoll.no/fairytale/

Help me master GPO I know a lot of my trouble is that I haven't really done any... uhmm.. fixing or tinkering of the midi..
    My keyboard is a Roland and it has that useless pitch/mod stick which is no good for GPO. So I've tried using one of the sliders on the keyboard as a controller, which kinda worked, but I've only done that on the strings in a few places.

So I think I should practice playing some kind of dynamic controller as I record the parts

What else? Rip me apart

This is for a animation film. A fairy tale is being narrated, and the narrator changes his mind alot about how the story should go, which frustrates the hero in the story

Re: my first attempt with GPO

I also have to figure out a more optimal workflow for GPO I couldnt get the KS programs to work quickly enough for me (i did have much time to finish this score), so the strings for example got a midi track per playing technique.. like:
    vln 1 lush
    vln 1 trem
    vln 1 pizz
    vln 1 short
    vln 1 trill half
    vln 1 trill whole

and then the same for vln 2.. viola etc.

But the problem then is that the short and pizz programs are so much louder than the lush and tremolo program... almost like the dynamic controller has no effect on them. Are they like that in the KS programs also?

Thumbs up Re: my first attempt with GPO

lavoll,
    my congratulations!!!
    OK, very short pieces, but you make sound GPO really fantastic!!!!
    If you could develop'em better these mini-pieces, you will achieve a very great work!
    My best,
    Roberto

Quote Originally Posted by lavoll
    But the problem then is that the short and pizz programs are so much louder than the lush and tremolo program... almost like the dynamic controller has no effect on them. Are they like that in the KS programs also?
    Short bow and pizz instruments fall under the heading of "Percussive" instruments in both the standalone and keyswitch versions. Percussive instruments are single strike and decay instruments, rather than indefinite sustain. Piano and timpani would be two more examples of Percussive instruments. Unlike the "Expressive" sustain instruments, they do not use mod wheel control for volume/timbre, they use standard velocity. Two ways to approach this:

1. Use lower velocities for the percussive instruments to get the balance you wish.
    2. Since you prefer using separate tracks/MIDI channels for the different articulations, send the short bows and the pizz output to separate audio mixer channels in your sequencer (you can choose the output pair for each instrument slot in the player.) This will give you complete control over relative levels for balancing articulation levels to taste.

Tom

Lovoll:

You GPO sound is great! So many people that have had GPO for a long time have not been able to create an orchestral performance as you have.

With a few more tips and using GPO, everything will be second nature. But, for now, you are doing so well with your orchestral sounds.

John
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

thanks everyone for the replies

I'll come to this forum more often to listen to what other people do with GPO That should be an excellent learning resource

oh, and about the pieces being short... it's for a cartoon.. so If i posted the whole soundtrack there would be music for a while... then a loooooong pause.... then a BLAT with the horns... another looong pause.. and then some sneaking around music etc.

I'll see if I can post a link to the cartoon instead later.

Excellent work. I enjoyed listening to them all.
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Quote Originally Posted by lavoll
    I'll see if I can post a link to the cartoon instead later.
    Nice work! Enjoyed the listen!

Looking forward to viewing the cartoon and hearing your music together.

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Go Back to forum