• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Topic: VST GPO

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    VST GPO

    Hi, I use Sonar as a sequencer and based on recommendations from some of the forum members, I proceeded to rename the VST .dll file so that by using the VST adapter , to be able to open GPO also as a VST version along with the DXi. However, the VST version freezes when opened in Sonar or right afterwards. (The DXi works OK). Does anyone else have the same experience with this problem?
    Thanks

  2. #2

    Re: VST GPO

    I've never tried this myself, but did you make sure to re-run the Adapter registration utility *after* the rename?

    - m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

  3. #3

    Re: VST GPO

    Quote Originally Posted by Markleford
    I've never tried this myself, but did you make sure to re-run the Adapter registration utility *after* the rename?

    - m

    I didn't have to re-run because I've never used the VST version before so after the rename I ran the VST adapter. Thanks for the response

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    326

    Re: VST GPO

    I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "rename". Did you rename the dxi plug-in file? If so, then that would be your problem. The VST and dxi plug-ins are distinctly different files that are installed when you install GPO - you can choose one or the other, or both.

    There are renaming options after you have installed your VST plug-ins. This allows you to make a copy of the dll file, rename it "VST2". Doing this allows you to use VST Instrument 1 to play instruments where legato is controlled via pedal - and VST Instrument 2 can then be used to play piano, which uses the pedal for sustain and requires a different setting. Maybe this is what you read and misunderstood?

  5. #5
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    2,938

    Re: VST GPO

    Quote Originally Posted by boten
    Hi, I use Sonar as a sequencer and based on recommendations from some of the forum members, I proceeded to rename the VST .dll file so that by using the VST adapter , to be able to open GPO also as a VST version along with the DXi. However, the VST version freezes when opened in Sonar or right afterwards. (The DXi works OK). Does anyone else have the same experience with this problem?
    Thanks

    I miss the point of the renaming. For the situation you described it is quite unnecessary. The DXi has a problem with tempo change if it occurs during a tied note, probably only with Sonar. Thus, VST is a better choice.

    Richard
    Last edited by rwayland; 06-21-2005 at 09:37 PM. Reason: spelling

  6. #6

    Re: VST GPO

    Quote Originally Posted by loogoo
    I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "rename". Did you rename the dxi plug-in file? If so, then that would be your problem. The VST and dxi plug-ins are distinctly different files that are installed when you install GPO - you can choose one or the other, or both.

    There are renaming options after you have installed your VST plug-ins. This allows you to make a copy of the dll file, rename it "VST2". Doing this allows you to use VST Instrument 1 to play instruments where legato is controlled via pedal - and VST Instrument 2 can then be used to play piano, which uses the pedal for sustain and requires a different setting. Maybe this is what you read and misunderstood?

    Sorry for the confusion. I meant I renamed the VST dll file calling it something else to have it available on Sonar Synth rack in addition to the DXi version. The reason I did that was at first to solve the piano sustain vs other instruments pedal use (Then I downloaded the MFX sustain fix plugin and that's not a problem anymore). However, I've been told to use the VST version which is more stable and consumes less CPU power. May be this is not an accurate statement?
    Thanks both for your replies.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    326

    Re: VST GPO

    Okay, I see what you did, but still don't see why. The VST files are separate and distinct from the dxi files and you should be able to have an instance of each open in Sonar without having to change any names. Could you try renaming the dll file back to the old name and see if it still freezes? Other than that I don't know what else to suggest.

  8. #8
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    2,938

    Re: VST GPO

    Quote Originally Posted by boten
    ......................
    However, I've been told to use the VST version which is more stable and consumes less CPU power. May be this is not an accurate statement?
    Thanks both for your replies.
    As an aside in a recent email from Gary, he again told me that the VST is a better choice than the DXI.

    Richard

  9. #9

    Re: VST GPO

    Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    As an aside in a recent email from Gary, he again told me that the VST is a better choice than the DXI.

    Richard
    Definately. VST is the way to go with Sonar.
    Steve A. Gallant

    www.SteveGallant.com

  10. #10

    Re: VST GPO

    Quote Originally Posted by BermudaFlyer
    Definately. VST is the way to go with Sonar.

    OK, then. Problem now solved. I guess it was fault by assuming I had to rename the VST dll version of GPO to have it available on the synth rack in addition to the DXi version. I have restored the original name of the VST dll and everything works great. This may have been a misinterpretation of my part of some information I read about renaming VST plugins to be able to use different instances supporting different pedal settings for piano and strings. I'm still unclear on the original intent of that advice, but now everything works OK.

    Thanks to all who replied for helping.
    Regards

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •