• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Advanced Techniques

Share/Bookmark

Advanced Techniques

Hi everybody,

Is there any orchestral sample libraries (strings - woodwinds - brass - perc.) that specialize on advanced orchestral techinques?

I already have Sonic Implants and Garritan but after one - two projects it starts sounding the same. Thanks!

Re: Advanced Techniques

What specifically do you mean by advanced?

I am thinking ProGold
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

I think he means extended techniques. This is where an instrument plays unusual stuff. VSL has recorded some of these things, but they are limited now. They may record more special material in future. AT the moment, they are not revealing much for the future. Of all companies, VSL had provided more advanced information than anyone that I can recall.
    Sonic Implants has imformed me that will NOT record any new material to add to their libraries.

Advanced Techniques = Extended Techinques. I have used VSL as well but was wondering if there is something out there that is completely dedicated to this kind of stuff - it seems that the only 4 libraries that have some (but limited) are SI, VSL, Garritan & EWQLSO Plat.

Gary's GOS is fairly complete for strings, if you also apply the updates. VSL I thought had just about everything? But really, there are so many different ways to get additional sounds with each instrument, it's not only mind boggling, it would fill multiple terrabytes. Think of multiphonics alone. Your best bet is to buy a library for each instrument individually. And there will still be limitations in what they provide you. My Timpani library is over 2 gig alone, and there are still sounds missing!

Would it not be more prudent to spend that extra time and money investing in your composition skills, and also making your libraries work better? Or supplementing your library with soft synth chops?

As the old addive says, "Nothing becomes dated more quickly than a new sound..."

JMO

Many times when I compose I am stuck because I don't have that sample of the jawbone of an ~~~ ready at my fingertips.

The Peter Siedlaczek Advanced Orchestra Brass and Effects volume (volume 4?) offers a lot of avant garde sounds from instruments played in unusual ranges or played in unusual ways. The helicopter contrabassoon is one of my favorites.

It's probably dated given our current sample tastes.

Marko

And don't forget about xsample *lots* of very nice effects in their libs..

The old Prosonus CD from 1862 has some of that.

Like mentioned and I agree, these techniques would be used in the contex of sound design and texture and nothing more. If we're talking about real orchestra and/or different ensembles creating these FX would have not been a problem - compositional skills are indeed needed and there would've been no need for questions - but when dealing with samples the focus is not anymore how to just hear, create and write music. What resources you have (sound libraries) and how to use them (sound libraries) becomes as important as knowing how to write on pen and paper. I'll check out the suggested libraries especially the Prosonus one - since the rest I already have.........

Thanks......

Go Back to forum