• Register
  • Help

Topic: Speaker options for the Audiophile 2496

Share/Bookmark

Question Speaker options for the Audiophile 2496

How would I connect a good pair of reference monitors to my Audiophile 2496 to get the best possible reproduction?

I have a dedicated machine for Gigastudio/GPO with the Audiophile 2496 connected to my sequencer machine with a SB Audigy via SPDIF. I've been using my Altec Lansing 4.1 set connected to my sequencer machine for several years now even before I built my Giga machine.

Obviously I need a speaker upgrade. I've been looking at the Truth B2031A reference monitors for example. Like most good quality monitors I imagine, these require XLR or TSR connections. But I would like to be able to connect these directly to the SPDIF out on my 2496 on my Giga machine. I know I probably will need a mixer, but I don't really need anything fancy. I also like to be able to do some simple software audio mixing after I record my tracks and I don't want to have to wear headphones all the time to get a decent sound.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Ben

Re: Speaker options for the Audiophile 2496

Hi, if you are going to invest in decent speakers perhaps you should upgrade the soundcard too? Only a thought, at least a card with balanced outs.

Another option would be to get a D/A converter (Apogee makes a great, small one) and run your S/PDIF out striaght to the D/A box, then onto your speakers.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

I should add, the clocks in 2496's are pretty crap, you could sync to a decent external word-clock or again, simply upgrade the entire card.

I use an RME 9632, balanced outs, great imaging, low-latency, cant recommend it enough.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Thanks for your input. I'm beginning to see why the 2496 was so much cheaper. The RME 9632 is a bit pricey--is that because it has balanced outs and better internal timing? I didn't think about syncing word clocks. I'm a bit a newb here when it comes to digital audio.

Maybe I should have phrased my question as: What's required to get the best sound quality out of my 2496 with a new set of speakers?

Would a D/A converter from the SPDIF out be that much different than just using the RCA outs (which I would believe would not require any D/A conversion?)

Thanks again!

Ben

Go Back to forum