• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How many of you are changed to the core...

Share/Bookmark

How many of you are changed to the core...

...from doing what you do?

I have been so blessed to be running my studio full-time for over a year now after leaving my day job in pursuit of "the dream". I anticipated my life being more meaningful being able to pour myself into music and others, but I had no idea that some of the work would actually change my world-view.

I am scoring to film for AIDS awareness in Africa. We all know there's a "problem", but over 55,000 people dying a week?!...my God! And through some other "third world" scoring I have done, seeing what real life is for so much of the world, and sometimes I'm not content with my sample rate limitations!

I'm smaller because of the work I do, and I am so grateful for it. This wasn't mean to be any kind of a pedestal or anything, I can only imagine that you guys go through some of the same stuff. I just wanted to confess, and take a moment to show vulnerability and my appreciation for getting the daily to chance to have my eyes opened in such a great way. An absolute life-changing job...thanks to many of you developers who give me the tools to "be changed".

-Tweed

Re: How many of you are changed to the core...

Tweed,

Well put. It's so easy to forget how much we have, especiallly in comparison to the rest of the world. Scoring some of these same types of films years ago certainly changed me.

I leave Saturday for my sixth trip to Uganda, taking over a ton of medical supplies, etc. For me, at least, just composing music about the problem wasn't enough. You almost have to see with your own eyes, and even then, it seems like bad fiction.

And I'll never, ever complain about bandwidth again... ;-)

JDK, thank you for your kind reply. I was becoming concerned that I might have put myself out there a little too much.

I hope to be at that place one day where I am able to concern myself a little less with my environment, and get out to where the need is. I envy you. I guess I am at that place where I am seeing myself become less of an ear, and more of a voice. One day, I hope to be the hands.

Thanks again for your response, have an awesome trip to Uganda!

-Peace, Tweed

Tweed,

Compelling subject matter. Sometimes through my work I am subjected to the oposite. Rich ~~~~~holes bitching and whining and swinging their "corportae privilege" all over the place. In some ways it's just as dicouraging. I applaud you for the post. Let's hope there's a better future ahead gor those poor souls.

All the very best,

Darren

Post Re: How many of you are changed to the core...

Darren, that's a good reminder about there being two sides to the coin.

I worked with a group of record labels for several years here in Nashville and was continually discouraged and aggravated by the attitudes of those who understood more about their brand of shoe than the music they represented. It meant nothing more than commerce to them, and "art" was a way to keep their Mercedes waxed. Woah, I'm getting to ranting!

Back to where I am now, I much prefer a modest lifestyle and an outlook that looks at the heart, not my bank account. I won't pretend that it wouldn't be nice to have both, but in the meantime, the choice is pretty easy.

Wishing you success beyond those "Rich ~~~~~holes"

-Tweed

Tweed,

I've been on both sides of the box over the years - sometimes doing music with the profound goal of selling air fresheners for ungrateful self-proclaimed hipsters who landed a job at daddy's ad agency, sometimes composing, arranging and producing soul-stirring music which hopefully will actually have an effect on people's lives long after I leave this world.

Sometimes you put bread on the table, sometimes you put bread in the heart. Music is an amazing gift!

Also in Music City,

LHall

Thumbs up Re: How many of you are changed to the core...

Quote Originally Posted by LHall
    Tweed,

Sometimes you put bread on the table, sometimes you put bread in the heart. Music is an amazing gift!

Also in Music City,

LHall
    Well said...

Darren

Thumbs up Re: How many of you are changed to the core...

I'm finding it very hard to put into words how this made me feel deep inside. You and JDK are truly one of a kind!
    Very touching and I am so glad you posted!
    BTW - Here's wishing much prosperity and happiness in your future endeavors! I envy you.
    Styxx

Styxx, man...deep thanks. I am constantly on this board, but rarely ever post as my admiration for many of you keeps me at a reserve. Didn't want to put my dirty fingerprints on some good topics.

All that to say, thanks for letting me share. This place has my full respect.

Sincerest, Tweed

Tweed,

Thanks again for starting this thread - although it may seem "OT" to some, it really does hit at the heart of who we are. Like my dad used to say, "Sometimes a complicated issue comes down to a very simple question - do you want to eat well, or sleep well?". We've all made our choices.

Don't know if anybody would be interested, but you can see some pics I took last year in Uganda. For me, at least, these pics are a small reminder of the world outside our air-conditioned control rooms...

http://jdkmusic.com/uganda/

John

Go Back to forum