• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OT: For those with music websites, do you Copyright?

Share/Bookmark

OT: For those with music websites, do you Copyright?

For those who are hobbyists (we had a thread denoucing the "hobbyist" term, but can't recall the preferred alternative) and post music on your website, do you ever bother copyrighting? Anyone (hobbyist or pro) ever had any issues with your comps used without you knowing? Maybe with so much music and compositions floating around these days this is generally a non-issue.

Thanks,
    Joanne

Re: OT: For those with music websites, do you Copyright?

www.copyright.gov it's only 31 dollars to send in a short PA form I recommend doing it for everything you finish
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne Babunovic
    For those who are hobbyists (we had a thread denoucing the "hobbyist" term, but can't recall the preferred alternative) and post music on your website, do you ever bother copyrighting? Anyone (hobbyist or pro) ever had any issues with your comps used without you knowing? Maybe with so much music and compositions floating around these days this is generally a non-issue.

Thanks,
    Joanne
    I register everything that I write with PRS, but all the protection that gives won't help if you don't know that someone has used your music without your consent :>(

In Germany, GEMA is very strong.
    Thats god for every composer and lyric writer, even in america.

But:
    Actually you have to pay for using GEMA-music on a website,
    even if its your own composition.
    Here are the rates:
    http://www.gema.de/engl/customers/in.../index.shtml#1
    The bad thing is, you don´t get the money back,
    because GEMA does not have a proper list of registrations so the money
    goes into the big pot. These pot will be distributed to the chart guys.
    The more you earn by GEMA, the more you get out of the big pot wich is filled
    with money that they can not assign to a composer (from Bars, discos, etc.)

Some other bad thing are coming up:
    More and more film- or showproducers say, they don´t want to pay GEMA.
    So, if you are a GEMA-member, you will not get the job. :-(

Wow is this situation in other countrys?
    (again, except china)

Chris Hein

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne Babunovic

Thanks,
    Joanne
    Hi Joanne,

Every original tune on my Official Website is copyrighted. There are plenty of theives looming in cyber space, so protect yourself just in case you have a #1 hit..

Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hein

Some other bad thing are coming up:
    More and more film- or showproducers say, they don´t want to pay GEMA.
    So, if you are a GEMA-member, you will not get the job. :-(

Wow is this situation in other countrys?
    (again, except china)

Chris Hein
    Very much so, for quite some time in the UK. In fact, it was this very sort of situation that led me to turn away from media composing as a sole source of income. Never sell out cheap. They can write that on my tombstone.

Quote Originally Posted by JonP
    Very much so, for quite some time in the UK. In fact, it was this very sort of situation that led me to turn away from media composing as a sole source of income. Never sell out cheap. They can write that on my tombstone.
    I don't quite understand this. Surely whether you are registered with PRS or not, you will still receive the writers share of the royalties at the very least? I though that this was enshrined in law.

D

I copyright each piece (but there aren't many of 'em).

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Great topic!

I have been wondering this myself.

Anyway, I have a question is GEMA or Copyright.gov international? Can I registered even if I live ine another country?

In my experience, if you've had a piece publicly performed, and you have record of it, that piece is, in effect, copyrighted. As I've been fortunate enough to have all my works done in concerts at some time or another, this has worked well.

There's also the old fashioned "poor man's copyright", which is nothing more than mailing the piece to yourself in a sealed envelope which will then receive a dated government post-mark. I've had suspicions about this... I wonder if it's nothing more than an old wives' tale.

In any case, I think the safest thing to do is to:

1.) Do the 31 dollar thing. If nothing else, it provides a certain peace of mind I should think.

2.) I am also under the impression that organizations like ASCAP and BMI are in place to help protect the composer. I would imagine there are international equivalents...

EDIT: Oy, I just re-read the topic thread. I'd say that the ASCAP/BMI thing might not be something you'd be up for as a non-professional musician, my fault...
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Go Back to forum