• Register
  • Help

Topic: War of the Worlds Soundtrack on iTunes

Share/Bookmark

War of the Worlds Soundtrack on iTunes

The War of the Worlds Soundtrack by John Williams is available exclusively as a prerelease on iTunes for those who may be interested. And you get a free 30 second sample of each selection as with all the music.

Re: War of the Worlds Soundtrack on iTunes

I recommend everyone take a listen to this music!

After the mediocre "Episode 3", this music finally is John Williams in his full bloom again: He threw out most of his romantic writing and created something cold, harsh, modern and very, very fascinating!

Until today I only have heard a few samples form Soundtrack.net, but I was immediately intrigued and fascinated by this unusual world of sound he created.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

let me guess...did it sound anything like this:

Ta-Ta-Ta-TUM--TUM--Ta-Ta-Tum...Ta-Ta-Ta-TUM--TUM--Ta-Ta-Tum

Thumbs up Re: War of the Worlds Soundtrack on iTunes

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy! I didn't know John Williams did the sound track! This IS a must hear and see. Thanks for the info.
    Styxx

Actually, you left out a couple of Ta's...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

I've been listening to this score constantly, in the car, on my MP3 player during walks, and I am extremely impressed with the level of detail and over-all structure that Williams achieves with War of the Worlds. The opening track, while Morgan Freeman narrates includes both musical and narrative foreshadowing. For those unaware of the story of WotW I'll refrain from revealing any spoilers, but there is a repetitive rhythmic figure that is scarcely audible but signifies the aliens that Williams develops in a later cue. Very very cool. And the tenor of this score recalls Bartok and Stravinsky. Perhaps WIlliams finally got sick of all the critics lambasting him for his style being evocative of Korngold or Strauss and decided to write a really atonal, dissonant score. this IMO is on par with Goldenthal's seminal ALIEN3 although perhaps not quite as overtly dissonant.

Thumbs way up.

Quote Originally Posted by davecos
    I've been listening to this score constantly, in the car, on my MP3 player during walks, and I am extremely impressed with the level of detail and over-all structure that Williams achieves with War of the Worlds. The opening track, while Morgan Freeman narrates includes both musical and narrative foreshadowing. For those unaware of the story of WotW I'll refrain from revealing any spoilers, but there is a repetitive rhythmic figure that is scarcely audible but signifies the aliens that Williams develops in a later cue. Very very cool. And the tenor of this score recalls Bartok and Stravinsky. Perhaps WIlliams finally got sick of all the critics lambasting him for his style being evocative of Korngold or Strauss and decided to write a really atonal, dissonant score. this IMO is on par with Goldenthal's seminal ALIEN3 although perhaps not quite as overtly dissonant.

Thumbs way up.
    I would hope that John Williams would not make any decisions about his music based on feedback from critics. The truth is that most critics are people who could never attain the artistic mastery of the people that they spend their professions judging. I couldn't care less whether Williams sounds more like Korngold and less like Bartok. He is always interesting to listen to, even if much of his work is derivative. After all, what art isn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    let me guess...did it sound anything like this:

Ta-Ta-Ta-TUM--TUM--Ta-Ta-Tum...Ta-Ta-Ta-TUM--TUM--Ta-Ta-Tum

You may not realize it, but that was not even beginning to be remotely funny... These words made you sound like one of these dreadfully un-musical people that I have been cursed to meet all my life. Thanks to the internet the neccessity of talking to real people has decreased nearly to 0%, so the pain ceased.
    Please don't say these things. They remind me of the people out there, and that is not a good thing...

To remain on topic: I think that John Williams has reached a status in his life, that allows him to compose the music HE deems right for the movie. Together with directors, who respect him and his work (e.g. Spielberg) the result will be very good 99% of the time. When working with people of less intelligence, he will simply do the work but won't put any effort into it (E.g. the lastest Star wars). The remarkable thing about that is, that even on full autopilot he is creating better music than most of nowadays composers could ever create, even if their life depended on it.

Whatever made him create THIS music, however is not important to me: I like it. It is complex, inspiring, exciting and contains many things that are completely new (at least for his style). It is interesting to listen to. That is important for me.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Go Back to forum