I just received the GPO that I purchased through the Group Buy. I installed it on my computer which has the following properties:

AMD Athlon 1.09 GHZ (Is this processor too slow?)

512 MB of RAM (I realize that the RAM is very low and am planning on purchasing more ASAP)

SB Audigy 2 ZS sound card

Finale 2005

Cubasis VST 4

The original installation of GPO and Studio and all of the necessary GPO updates was successful. I started experiencing problems when I opened the Studio. First I got an “Audio Test” dialog box and after the test was completed a note stating that all tests had failed.

I then changed the Audio Driver settings in the Studio. The “[MME] Microsoft Sound Mapper – output (out)” was selected and when I chose the ASIO driver (following the GPO guide advice) the Studio crashed. The messages “portaudio error .9997” , “invalid sound driver ASIO (duplex)”, “could not open the sound driver”, appeared, and when I closed them out, Studio closed out and was not able to start.

After several hours of trying to make Studio work, I decided to uninstall GPO and Studio, do a system restore and then reinstall the GPO software and updates. After the second installation, the Studio is working. The audio tests were also successful.

This is the list of sound drivers that are available in my computer:

[MME] Microsoft Sound Mapper – output (out)

[MME] SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [D000] (out)

[MME] Modem # 0 Live Playback (out)

[MME] Modem # 1 Live Playback (out)

[Direct Sound] Primary Sound Driver (out)

[Direct Sound] SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [D000] (out)

[ASIO] ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver (duplex)

[ASIO] ASIO Multimedia Driver (duplex)

[ASIO] Creative ASIO (duplex)

[ASIO] SB Audigy 2 ZS ASIO 24/96 [D…(duplex)

[ASIO] SB Audigy 2 ZS ASIO [D000] (duplex)

Following are the questions that I have that relate to the problems I was experiencing with GPO Studio:

(1) What do “MME”, “ASIO” and “duplex” stand for?

(2) Why did the Studio crash when I chose the [ASIO] Creative ASIO (duplex) as the sound driver?

(3) Is the “duplex” what is causing the ASIO problems in Studio?

(4) How can I configure the ASIO drivers in order to make them work in Studio?

(5) In case Studio crashes again, in which folder/s does it look for when it is accessing the

Sound driver information?

(6) Do you recommend purchasing a faster processor?

My second set of questions relate to Finale Playback.

I setup the MIDI following the instructions in the GPO guide.

My main question is the following:

If I am scoring a full orchestra or ensemble piece, do all instruments of the same family need to be scored in separate staffs with separate MIDI channels? For example, do I need to score the Flute 1 and Flute 2 in two separate tracks with 2 separate MIDI channels even though it is the same instrument sound?

The reason I am asking is because I was able to play a piano score and all voicings and chords were played back with no problem (except for some note repetition, which I am guessing is due to the lack of RAM).

In Finale standard playback, several instruments of the same family can be scored in the same staff with the same MIDI channel and the playback is successful. I was wondering if this can be done in GPO Studio.

Thanks so much for all your help!