• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Pooh sound - Help needed

Pooh sound - Help needed

I'm currently working on a Winnie the Pooh dvd-kids game project. I posted the work in the "demos - midi files section" of the forum. Unfortunately, the work has been completely rejected, because it's not "Winnie enough".

Although they liked it, they said it could be coming from any cartoon but not especially from the hundred acre woods Heck they're right :/
    (I just regret that my contact submitted the work to Disney only when it was complete, if I had had that feedback earlier it would have been easy to re-aim the music correctly). Howeer, when I did Disney's Princesses and the Lion King they approved with almost no modifications required

So, here's an excerpt from Winnie the Pooh:

I don't know how to get that very particular sound, I hear definitely some woodwinds but I don't know how they're layered together (I really suck at woodwinds and need to train my hear more with them). I'm also afraid of hearing a saxophone, which is a sound I don't have at my disposal, maybe I'm wrong there ?

Some insights on how to achieve this very particular sound will be much, much appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Original work mentionned:
    (please note that on the above work I did not intend to replicate the example posted in the present thread)

News & Music here.

Re: Pooh sound - Help needed

Maybe I'm just asking too much
    News & Music here.

I hear woodwinds (bassoon, oboe, clarinet, flute, piccolo), strings and percussion.

I believe the saxophone sound you think you are hearing is actually an oboe (or cor anglais) doubled with something else. Those double-reed instruments can sound raspy (like a saxophone) in their lower registers.

I'd be curious to hear your version, in any event, if you'd care to direct me to the original post.
    Steve A. Gallant

Here it is

(please note that on the above work I did not intend to replicate the example posted in the present thread)

I can't figure out how to layer the woodwinds together and the strings to achieve this very 50'ish sound :/
    News & Music here.

Paris, France

My 2€..
    Listening to your offerings, and to what the client eventually went with, I can only presume that your work was too good for them! (I'm only half-joking there.. your work is excellent, but maybe a little too musically sophisticated for the little ones!.. but I know what I'd prefer to listen to! )
    About the orchestration.. I agree with Steve.. it's probably a cor anglais (doubled by flute at the octave).. that "saxophonish" quality sounds to me to be coming mainly from the distortion in the mp3!.. although soprano sax+ octave flute would certainly sound nicely "chirpy". As for the strings, I think the secret for that early "Holliwoodian" style is to keep the harmony fairly close but rich (and, if using real players, tell them they get paid by how much vibrato they use!), and the movement as linear as possible (very much the way a group of "hula hula girls" would sing together).
    Anyways, those examples you posted are delightful to listen to:-)

Finally had a chance to listen to those samples...

personally, I liked them alot. I thought they were very charming. Perhaps a bit more doubling of the tune with strings would've thickened up your sound.
    Steve A. Gallant

Thanks for the advice
    I'll try that tomorrow !
    News & Music here.

Hello again,

Following a more constructive comment from Disney US, I have slowed down,and softened these two loops, and "un-Mulan-ized" C2. I'm also adding more strings doubling on upcoming ones as you suggested BermudaFlyer
    (what a strange name you have )

I think it's much better. I also think there's a lot to be brought by doublign with strings on the other tracks. I also need to keep the music simple, which isn't that easy

It's late, me beeeeeeeeeeed !
    News & Music here.

I think they're d-d-d-delightful!
    Steve A. Gallant

Thanks, more to come

It's a bit lonely out there don't you think?
    News & Music here.

Go Back to forum