• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Finally Got GPO- Won't Install- Help!

Share/Bookmark

New Problem-Sound Libraries Not Loading

Hey guys, GPO finally arrived today but it won't install, a minute into the installation of the first CD I have the following error:

"The file D:\GPO Library\Instruments\Dry\SoloStrings\Solo and Ens. Viola\Violin 1 GagliEns1.nki could not be opened."

The install then ends. I am wondering if anyone can tell me if this is perhaps a defective copy or if there is a fix/patch that I am not aware of.

Also I'd like to say that I wasn't planning on using GPO with this computer anyway because it's a older computer with only 500 mhz, though it does have 600mb ram and enough hard drive space. But next week I am moving where I will have access to a fast computer and I was planning to install GPO there, but I was hoping to at least maybe play with the piano on this computer until then, since I thought most likely this computer wouldn't be able to load the full orchestra.

So I am wondering does anyone know if this problem may be caused by this computer or do you think it is a defective disk?

Gary or anyone out there I'd appreciate your help thank you!

Re: Finally Got GPO- Won't Install- Help!

It 'could' be a problem with the PC, but I'd bank on it being CD related. Gary will take care of you for sure. Considering the number of disks that were duplicated during the Group Buy, it wouldn't surprise me if one of them got messed up.

I had a problem with installing GPO on my WIN98 PC. I was getting cryptic messages regarding instruments that didn't exist during installation, and then it would exit.

The Technical FAQ informed me that the workaround was to move everything OFF CD into a directory on your hard drive and run the install there. This I did, and it worked flawlessly.

Also, you might consider installing the library in the default directory.

Hey thanks, yes this is a win 98 pc with approximately 500mhz, 500 something mb ram, and 2.5 gig available on my hard drive.

newmuzikboy, I would like to try that but how do you 'move' everything off the CD? Also I did install into their default directory.

But like I said I am not sure what you mean by moving it off the cd, how would I go about accomplishing this? Thanks....

Just create a folder on the desktop and copy and paste the contents of the CD into the folder then run the installation/setup application from there.

Yes...copy paste = drag and drop off CD drive all files into HD folder such as:

c:\temp\

requiem_aeternam7,

It is recommended that GPO PC users have Windows XP installed since Native Instruments (and reputedly Microsoft) no longer supports Windows 98/ME. There is a workaround for installing GPO in the Troubleshooting section of our website:

WORKAROUND: Find enough free space on one of your hard drives on your computer for about 2 gigabytes of temporary space - you will also need to make sure you have an additional 2 gigabytes somewhere on your system for where you will actually install GPO. Create a temporary folder called GPOdiscs on your hard drive. Copy the contents of the first GPO cd to this folder. Then copy the contents of the second cd to the folder, then copy the third cd to the folder. If you ever get a message saying Windows will need to overwrite an existing file to complete the copy, just say ok and keep going. Copy the GPOLibrary folder and Readme folder from a good installation to your new GPOdiscs folder. If you get any Windows messages saying Windows will need to overwrite a file or folder to complete a copy, press OK every time. Look in your GPOdiscs folder and verify that your GPOLibrary folder is back again now. Finally, in the GPOdiscs folder, double click "GPO Setup.exe". Follow the installation instructions in the installer.. Eventually the installer will ask for you to insert disc 2 or something like that.. just press OK and don't do anything with cds - the installation should continue just fine. Please note this workround is done at your own risk.

Wow thanks alot guys this suggestion seems to be working so far because after copying the stuff into a folder on my harddrive it has now finished the first disk and asked me to put in the 2nd disk, so this might be it. I'll let you know if/when it finishes, but if it does I owe you guys big time!

BTW, works great for me on either XP and WIN98 OS's, so you will be impressed!

Thanks newmuzikboy, gary, and joseph for the help, it has now installed successfully using that method.

But now I have another question. I know this sounds stupid, but I really don't know how to use it yet: I have loaded the kontakt player, so how do I now begin to working on a MIDI? I have read the instruction manual and what I THINK it says is that you need GPO Studio which is what I'm downloading from the Garritan website right now.

I just want to make sure if this is right because as far as I can tell Kontakt player by itself has no way to load a midi file. So to begin composing and working on my midi's all I need is GPO Studio?

Thanks again guys for helping this poor noob...

Go Back to forum