• Register
  • Help

Topic: String Orchestra And Finale Playback

Share/Bookmark

Question String Orchestra And Finale Playback

Can anyone help? I have been trying to work through Danielle Davis' turtorial on String Ensemble Building. I am doing the tutorial using Finale 2002 as my notation software and I am running on a AMD 64 bit 3200+ processor with 1 gig of ram and a MoTu 2408 MKII audio card.

What I can't get is 4 GPO Studio players to play simultaneously all the string parts. I have Finale setup to send out on channels 1-8 to GPO 1, 9-16 to GPO 2, 17-24 to GPO 3, 25-32 to GPO 4 etc. But during playback I only here Violins and violas (not all of them either) If I solo basses, I get basses, if I solo celli, I get Celli, but if I play them all I don't hear them all.

Anyone got ideas?

Thanks,

RichR

Re: String Orchestra And Finale Playback

I assume you are using midichannels 9-16 on GPO 2,4,6,8?

Björn

Oops, I'll give that a try.

Thanks

RichR

Okay, I have tried for a week or better now to get Fianle 2002 and GPO to work together. Everything is fine for the first player up to all 8 channels and players working. But, when I go to the 9th player on the second kontact player, I get no sound from that player. I have tried the tutorial and set up channels for each instrument using finale's expression tool. I have set up channel volume at both 60 and 95 as some suggestions in these threads. I have tried to change the midi channels in the Finale Instrument Window dialogue box. Nothing gets me the 9th player. The setting of channels for each staff gets me absoultely no sound as per the tutorial on the GPO site.

My work around has been to do it silently in Finale, port the midi file to Tracktion 2 and work the mix in the sequencer. Too much back and forth, the instant gratification of seeing the music and hearing it in Finale is not there.

I am working on an AMD64 +3400 w/1 gig of memory 350 Gigs of hard drive space, a MoTU 2408 MKii audio card.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich Rayer

In the Kontake player, in the second instance of GPO, do you have all the instruments set to the appropriate channels?

Just a thought:
    Why are you even bothering with MIDI channels 9-16? I just ignore them since the defaults are all 1-8. You just point all your tracks to studio instance 1 ch. 1-8, instance 2 ch. 1-8 and so on.
    If the tutorial wants you do use ch. 9-16, then use them, but I just think it's much easier to just use ch. 1-8.

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    In the Kontake player, in the second instance of GPO, do you have all the instruments set to the appropriate channels?

Just a thought:
    Why are you even bothering with MIDI channels 9-16? I just ignore them since the defaults are all 1-8. You just point all your tracks to studio instance 1 ch. 1-8, instance 2 ch. 1-8 and so on.
    If the tutorial wants you do use ch. 9-16, then use them, but I just think it's much easier to just use ch. 1-8.

-Chris
    I think I understand. If you set all instruments in Finale (players 1-8 on Kontact player #1) to channel 1 (in Finale's Instrument Window) and Finale's Instrument Window channel 2 to Kontact Player #2 (players 1-8) etc., then I will have all Kontact players (64 of them) available in Finale?

I know that works in Traktion, but Finale confuses me whrn it comes to midi. I know Finale for it's notation work (I can pumb in notation with the Speedy Entry Tool almost as fast as I can write it on paper.

I'll give it a try and let you know! Thanks

Rich Rayer

Go Back to forum