• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Topic: How to Record MP3?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    How to Record MP3?

    Hey guys, I have noteworthy composer, I'm not very good at this:

    so how do I record an mp3?

    What I mean is, I've got my noteworthy composer notation program open, then I have the GPO studio open and the steinway piano loaded.
    I loaded some midi of mine into the noteworthy composer and when I press play it works and the steinway sound plays my notes.

    So how do I know create a .wav or .mp3 file with this? The noteworthy has no 'export' option that I can see, how is it possible for me to 'render' this track?

    If I click 'save as' it only gives me the option to save it as a .nwc noteworthy file or a .mid file, and like I said there is no option for exporting and there is only a record button which is for recording midi input from your keyboard that I know of.

    I tried pressing play on the noteworthy track and then switching back to GPO Studio and pressing record and that seems to work in rendering it to a midi but it does it in real time, so that means it's very choppy and freezes because my computer is barely fast enough to play even 1 instance of the steinway without freezing up and being choppy. Like I said in another post, I don't plan to use GPO on this comp anyway because I have another one waiting for me next week, but for now I am wondering is it possible to RENDER this track without having to play it real time? I was under the impression that that was possible but I don't really see how.

    Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys.

  2. #2
    Senior Member newmewzikboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,700

    Re: How to Record MP3?

    1) You need to make sure you install your product correctly
    2) Once you DO get it installed, register it.
    3) Download and run teh 1.0.4 update from NI
    4) Download and run the 1.1.8 update from NI

    GPO has a recording feature in the new updates.

    Make sure noteworthy has MIDI out capability. It sounds like it does.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    326

    Re: How to Record MP3?

    Make sure you have the latest version of GPO Studio (v1.2) which allows you to record audio. You would start the recorder in Studio, then play back your file in Noteworthy - when it's done go back to Studio and hit STOP. This will give you a wave file. To get an MP3 you'll have to get a separate MP3 encoder to use on your wav file. There are free ones available (can't remember the names right now, though) - if you Google for "free MP3 encoders" you should get a bunch of suggestions.

  4. #4

    Re: How to Record MP3?

    Quote Originally Posted by newmewzikboy
    1) You need to make sure you install your product correctly
    2) Once you DO get it installed, register it.
    3) Download and run teh 1.0.4 update from NI
    4) Download and run the 1.1.8 update from NI

    GPO has a recording feature in the new updates.

    Make sure noteworthy has MIDI out capability. It sounds like it does.

    When I click on options in noteworthy under the midi tab it says "available play devices" and one of the options is "AudioPC MIDI Out"
    when I double click this, the AudioPC MIDI Out goes into the box where it says "Devices Used by Play Back" along with GPO Studio: 1, 2, 3 etc

    The question is, what do I do next?

    As for the GPO record feature, I will try that as well I was just afraid to register the program before I resolve the issues or install it correctly because I wasn't sure if you register after you install it it'll let you install it again in case the installation was bad like mine, I didn't want to be stuck with a registered bad installation that's why I'm about to go try to reinstall it again.

    But as far as the noteworthy thing goes, can someone explain to me how I would go about rendering a midi to a mp3 or wav track?

  5. #5

    Re: How to Record MP3?

    Quote Originally Posted by loogoo
    Make sure you have the latest version of GPO Studio (v1.2) which allows you to record audio. You would start the recorder in Studio, then play back your file in Noteworthy - when it's done go back to Studio and hit STOP. This will give you a wave file. To get an MP3 you'll have to get a separate MP3 encoder to use on your wav file. There are free ones available (can't remember the names right now, though) - if you Google for "free MP3 encoders" you should get a bunch of suggestions.
    Hey thanks, I'm from Brooklyn too by the way.

    What you described I already tried with the version of Studio that I downloaded from their site and it did work. However what I'm asking about is whether it's possible to "Render" the track not in real time.

    You see when I click record in studio and then go to noteworthy and click "play" it plays the piece in real time, and on my crappy comp it is impossible to play it in real time because even just a steinway piano by itself causes intense freezing and choppiness. So I am wondering how, if it is possible can I "render" the track so that instead of playing it in real time and recording it, it will slowly render it so that the finished .wav/.mp3 file is not choppy or slow at all.

    I'm not even sure if this 'rendering' is possible but I could have sworn someone told me that you could do that and wouldn't have to record everything in real time.

    Like I said I will have my hands on a better computer next week where I will use GPO and will also have Sibelius, but for right now I was hoping I could render at least a few piano tracks of my midis.

    Does anyone know if this is somehow possible?

  6. #6
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    2,938

    Re: How to Record MP3?

    Quote Originally Posted by requiem_aeternam7
    Hey thanks, I'm from Brooklyn too by the way.

    What you described I already tried with the version of Studio that I downloaded from their site and it did work. However what I'm asking about is whether it's possible to "Render" the track not in real time.

    You see when I click record in studio and then go to noteworthy and click "play" it plays the piece in real time, and on my crappy comp it is impossible to play it in real time because even just a steinway piano by itself causes intense freezing and choppiness. So I am wondering how, if it is possible can I "render" the track so that instead of playing it in real time and recording it, it will slowly render it so that the finished .wav/.mp3 file is not choppy or slow at all.

    I'm not even sure if this 'rendering' is possible but I could have sworn someone told me that you could do that and wouldn't have to record everything in real time.

    Like I said I will have my hands on a better computer next week where I will use GPO and will also have Sibelius, but for right now I was hoping I could render at least a few piano tracks of my midis.

    Does anyone know if this is somehow possible?

    Well, you can do it using GPO Studio 1.2.

    Load Studio, set up instruments.
    Open sequencer, select the file, set up instruments to appropriate GPO studio slots.
    Restore down so you have room for studio on your screen also. Go to studio, select the record function, select options you need -- name, etc. Swat record. return to sequencer, start play. When plays finishes, return to studio, select stop recording function.

    With your new computer, the world of music will be a lot easier (after you learn to use it).


    Richard

  7. #7

    Re: How to Record MP3?

    If your notation app. can export MIDI, you can download the free Synthfont and use it to render to wav or mp3 real-time or no real-time as you like. Although it is a soundfont player it does support VSTi (disclaimer: I never tried using the VSTi, only the VSTfx) and it does have some mixing capabilities. You could say it's a (primitive) sequencer and player host in one app. Maybe you can use this until you get something better.

  8. #8

    Re: How to Record MP3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    If your notation app. can export MIDI, you can download the free Synthfont and use it to render to wav or mp3 real-time or no real-time as you like. Although it is a soundfont player it does support VSTi (disclaimer: I never tried using the VSTi, only the VSTfx) and it does have some mixing capabilities. You could say it's a (primitive) sequencer and player host in one app. Maybe you can use this until you get something better.
    Nickie Fonshauge thank you very much, I am going to try that now.
    I'll let you know how it goes.


    rawland: thanks for your help as well but I DID try that method you described already, sorry I probably wasn't clear but the point I was trying to make is that I need a way to render NOT in real time. The method you described by clicking on 'record' in gpostudio, and then clicking play in the notation software makes the recording in REAL TIME and my system cannot handle it because it becomes very choppy. So until I have the better comp I would like to record somehow that is NOT in real time so that my comp can process the recording and render/export it to a .wav or .mp3 file.
    So far it seems my only options to do this is this synthfont freeware or perhaps getting Sonar. I am wondering if anyone knows if finale or sibelius supports this sort of recording because I may be able to get my hands on one of those?

    Thanks again for all the help everyone.

  9. #9

    Re: How to Record MP3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    If your notation app. can export MIDI, you can download the free Synthfont and use it to render to wav or mp3 real-time or no real-time as you like. Although it is a soundfont player it does support VSTi (disclaimer: I never tried using the VSTi, only the VSTfx) and it does have some mixing capabilities. You could say it's a (primitive) sequencer and player host in one app. Maybe you can use this until you get something better.
    Well I just tried Synthfont and although it works with soundfonts it doesn't seem to accept garritan library sounds with .nki ending. So I was able to render a midi but only with some cheap soundfonts that are included with the program and I was unable to use the garritan sounds.
    I am wondering if you can confirm this?
    By the way what does VSTi stand for?

  10. #10

    Re: How to Record MP3?

    Requiem Aeternam, I'm sorry about the delay. I've been away from home since thursday with no computer and no internet. I can't remember what VSTi stands for except the "i" means "instrument". VST is a Steinberg thing.

    Regarding Synthfont: You're not supposed to use the .nki files directly; you can only use .sf2 files directly. Instead you open a GPO Player as a VST instrument, assign this VSTi to the appropriate tracks and load the patches you need into the player.

    Before you do that you click Setup | VST Instruments tab | VSTi Folders <Add> and specify the path to the GPO VST plugin (it's a .dll file). You can do the same with the Ambience Reverb under VST Effs tab. Once you have set up the correct paths, you choose GPO VSTi by selecting the tracks you need to apply it to, clicking the VSTi <down arrow> button and selecting "Personal Orchestra VST". You get the player to pop up by clicking "Sf2 Preset". Ambience you select by clicking the <Add effects...> button, double click "Garritan Ambience" and click OK. Click on "Garritan Ambience" in "Output VST Effects" pane to show Ambience. If you click the little red pushpin on VSTi's and VSTfx's, that particular VST window will stay on top of the Synthfont window.

    I hope you can use this. I'll be home the next week, so ask if you have more questions. BTW did you ckeck the Synthfont Forum ?

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •