• Register
  • Help

Topic: Rendering MIDI into MP3 Question

Share/Bookmark

Rendering MIDI into MP3 Question

Hey guys, I asked this on the support forums but I don't know if they'll be able to help me because this isn't exactly a problem but rather a question so let me see if you guys here can help me out.

I just want to know if it's possible to render a midi track to a .wav or .mp3 file WITHOUT playing that track in real time. I heard from someone that you could do this, but it looks to me like they were wrong.

To try to explain more clearly, I have noteworthy composer notation software, I open that then I open the GPO studio. In order to make a recording I have to open a midi file into Noteworthy and then press "Record" on the GPOStudio and then quickly press "Play" in Noteworthy Composer.

However this plays the midi file with GPO instruments in real time as the file records to a .wav through GPOStudio.

The problem with this is that my computer is too old and slow to handle a real time playing of even a steinway by itself, and it begins to freeze and chop up real badly. So the recorded .wav file is also very choppy and un-listenable.

The question is: Is it possible to somehow RENDER this track NOT in real time, so that somehow my computer can process it into a .wav or .mp3 without playing the midi file in real time with the GPO instruments?

Like I said in my other thread, this isn't a terminal problem because I just wanted to experiment with GPO on this crappy computer before I get my hands on the real fast one I plan to use next week, but until then I wanted to make some mp3's of a few midi's I have, so can anyone answer this for me? For example, perhaps sibelius or finale or any other program has this function, or am I missing something and every notation software including Noteworthy has this, or is this basically impossible and do all of you record through GPO studio using the real time method I described above?

Thanks guys.

Re: Rendering MIDI into MP3 Question

No, not with the software and equipment you have, newbie. You are already maxed out on HD space, are trying to record to your OS disk (maybe), and I have to question if you are in fact swapping memory to disk right now?

The only thing you might try to do increase your minmax cache size in win98, kill anything else you have running in background, and pray. GPO isn't guarantee to run on win98 and certainly not on a maxed out sys like yours. My win98 is utilizing 1 gig of memory on a P4 1.7 mz. I have a swap file size 1.5x my memory size, cache settings at a reasonable rate. And I am smooth all the way with fully loaded GPO.

"No, not with the software and equipment you have, newbie."

No need to lay into the folk just getting into into it.

That said, you can't do what you want with the software you have. I use Cakewalk's Sonar, which can record not in real-time. It can also do reverb and any other effects you want to apply not in in real time. If you combine it with DFD, you should be able to render literally any piece of music with a computer with some minimal amount of RAM, although it may take a very long time. Actually, though, for me, Sonar can render pieces quicker than real-time for pieces that my computer doesn't have the resources to play in real time.

Other sequencers can do this, too, and I don't know what the cheapest solution is. In a sequencer or notation software, it will say something like "Record to Audio," "Bounce to Track," "Freeze Track" or something along those lines for the option to do it.

The bottom line is if you're using a notation program with GPO Studio, you will have to record in real time. A sequencer package such as Sonar or Cubase will have a "bounce track" option that can render much more quickly - although the option to record in real time is also there. As I suggested on your other post, you might want to save yourself the frustration of trying to "play" on a maxed out system and wait for the better one. Then, you can really enjoy your new library.

Ok guys thanks for the replies.

newmuzikboy, it was really tricky but I finally got it to install completely by juggling some massive file sizes, I now have the full playlist with wet, dry, woodwinds etc. How I did it was pretty funny, I copied disk 1 files into a folder on my desktop and installed it, then when it asked to enter disk 2, I deleted disk 1 from my computer which freed up 700mb or so, and then put disk 2 in and copied it to my desktop, then I clicked OK and it installed disk 2, then it asked to enter disk 3 so I deleted the 700mb fize from disk 2 and pasted disk 3 into my folder and then clicked ok and installed disk 3. It was tricky and took a while but now everything is up and running and so I can focus on this question at hand.

Thanks for all the help guys. Now, I am curious if anyone knows any other programs that would be able to do this non-realtime rendering because the comp I will have next week will probably have sibelius or possibly finale, I'm not sure which, so I am wondering if either of those programs or any other ones are capable of doing this?

As for Sonar, I would now consider buying Sonar but can you guys first please answer this question for me.

Is it possible to NOTATE music in my notation program (noteworthy/sibelius etc) then IMPORT that file INTO Sonar and THEN render the whole thing in non-realtime??

Or would I have to construct/notate the whole song from scratch IN Sonar?

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by requiem_aeternam7
    Hey guys, I asked this on the support forums but I don't know if they'll be able to help me because this isn't exactly a problem but rather a question so let me see if you guys here can help me out.

I just want to know if it's possible to render a midi track to a .wav or .mp3 file WITHOUT playing that track in real time. I heard from someone that you could do this, but it looks to me like they were wrong.

To try to explain more clearly, I have noteworthy composer notation software, I open that then I open the GPO studio. In order to make a recording I have to open a midi file into Noteworthy and then press "Record" on the GPOStudio and then quickly press "Play" in Noteworthy Composer.

However this plays the midi file with GPO instruments in real time as the file records to a .wav through GPOStudio.

The problem with this is that my computer is too old and slow to handle a real time playing of even a steinway by itself, and it begins to freeze and chop up real badly. So the recorded .wav file is also very choppy and un-listenable.

The question is: Is it possible to somehow RENDER this track NOT in real time, so that somehow my computer can process it into a .wav or .mp3 without playing the midi file in real time with the GPO instruments?

Like I said in my other thread, this isn't a terminal problem because I just wanted to experiment with GPO on this crappy computer before I get my hands on the real fast one I plan to use next week, but until then I wanted to make some mp3's of a few midi's I have, so can anyone answer this for me? For example, perhaps sibelius or finale or any other program has this function, or am I missing something and every notation software including Noteworthy has this, or is this basically impossible and do all of you record through GPO studio using the real time method I described above?

Thanks guys.
    My suggestion would be to get quite familiar with your new setup, including reading the GPO manual, diddle around a bit, try the included Overture, etc (if it shipped with your version). When you have made a bunch of mistakes and are thoroughly confused and frustrated, then come back and ask all you want. You will be in a better position to understand the answers provided since we will have a common reference point. Until you dive in and muck around a bit, you won't be able to ask the questions you need to ask.

Richard

If your notation software can export midi you can import the midi into Sonar and create audio. I use Sonar and like it a lot. If you do get it make sure that the version you get can generate mp3s. There were some releases that included the mp3 encoder and some that didn't and I can't say at the moment which are which. I don't know if version 4 includes a mp3 encoder or not. You can of course generate wav files.

Chet

Quote Originally Posted by requiem_aeternam7
    Ok guys thanks for the replies.

Is it possible to NOTATE music in my notation program (noteworthy/sibelius etc) then IMPORT that file INTO Sonar and THEN render the whole thing in non-realtime??

Thanks guys.

Yes. I just happened to perform that operation today. But usually, I work the other way.

Richard

If you do export a MIDI file from Sibelius, remember to set your Sibelius playback performance parameters to "no rubato" and "straight" rythmic feel. If you have rubato in you Sibelius file it can give funny results when you import the MIDI file into Sonar.

Since you are resource contrained and are runnning on 98, i would suggest you wait for a new machine before getting a top package. Also, you should really optimize your 98 machine - get rid of old files etc anything you can do to speed it up, incl removing background services and apps.

For recording, you really should get another drive.

If you are looking for a cheap sequencer, something to tie you over until you can get a better machine, try looking Tracktion2 by mackie. you can download a demo.

Go Back to forum