• Register
  • Help

Topic: sequencer controls and mod wheel controls

Share/Bookmark

sequencer controls and mod wheel controls

On the options button on the GPO player, there is an option to Use Std CC#7 / CC#10 Volume and Pan, which will allow me to use the Volume and Pan controls in Sonar and have the GPO player respond.... If I do this, do I disable the mod wheel performance control, or does it just allow me to control the volume and panning from Sonar? Just wondering...

Re: sequencer controls and mod wheel controls

Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro
    On the options button on the GPO player, there is an option to Use Std CC#7 / CC#10 Volume and Pan, which will allow me to use the Volume and Pan controls in Sonar and have the GPO player respond.... If I do this, do I disable the mod wheel performance control, or does it just allow me to control the volume and panning from Sonar? Just wondering...

Not Sonar user, but felt that since you didn't get your answer, I would give you a bump.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Hello, (Sonar User here)

If you elect to use CC#7/10 (although not recommended from a performance point-of-view), you will still need to place [at least] a single modwheel event at the start of each track, just to nudge up some volume. (A mid-range value of 64 should be sufficient.) After that, you can use CC#7/10 events (or envelopes) as freely as you like per track.

Hope this helps.
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    Not Sonar user, but felt that since you didn't get your answer, I would give you a bump.

Jerry Wickham

Thanks for the bump Jerry, I appreciate it...

Quote Originally Posted by BermudaFlyer
    Hello, (Sonar User here)

If you elect to use CC#7/10 (although not recommended from a performance point-of-view), you will still need to place [at least] a single modwheel event at the start of each track, just to nudge up some volume. (A mid-range value of 64 should be sufficient.) After that, you can use CC#7/10 events (or envelopes) as freely as you like per track.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks Steve... Basically, while composing the piece, I don't want to be dealing with too many expression controls, so yeah, i would set the mod wheel at a fixed value and use the volume and pan controls as usual... Once I have the piece, I will switch back and use program expression changes, eithe performed or programmed, with the mod wheel, since that seems to improve the effect of natural performance... I appreciate the info...

Quote Originally Posted by BermudaFlyer
    Hello, (Sonar User here)

(A mid-range value of 64 should be sufficient.)
    Just for my personal understanding: You meant CC:1, right?

To get the best results with GPO I would recommend disabling the CC7/CC10 option. Set your volume and pan in the player. Then use CC1 (modulation) for all expression. CC1 does more than just volume, it also has a dynamic filter that varies with the level of CC1. This will cause the timbre to be brighter at higher levels.

I use CC7 as a trim control. If the track is a little to quiet, then I'll raise the level on the player slightly.

I have a template setup with the CC7 levels setup. BTW, most of the levels out of the box are at a pretty good starting point.

Another thing to keep in mind if you use CC7 is that if it is set above 60, you will get distortion with a full orchestration playing. 80 is approximately 0 db. This is another reason why you want to use CC1 for expression as it gives you the full range of 0-127 for control, whereas CC7 will only give you from 0-60. Not even half the range of CC1.

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    To get the best results with GPO I would recommend disabling the CC7/CC10 option. Set your volume and pan in the player. Then use CC1 (modulation) for all expression. CC1 does more than just volume, it also has a dynamic filter that varies with the level of CC1. This will cause the timbre to be brighter at higher levels.

I use CC7 as a trim control. If the track is a little to quiet, then I'll raise the level on the player slightly.

I have a template setup with the CC7 levels setup. BTW, most of the levels out of the box are at a pretty good starting point.

Another thing to keep in mind if you use CC7 is that if it is set above 60, you will get distortion with a full orchestration playing. 80 is approximately 0 db. This is another reason why you want to use CC1 for expression as it gives you the full range of 0-127 for control, whereas CC7 will only give you from 0-60. Not even half the range of CC1.

Hi Haydn, thanks for responding... Although I agree that programming in the cc#1 for expression is a great tool for realism in performance, I find that when you're working in a musical piece and you're composing, it's a lot easier to work it from the sequencer than it is from the kontakt player... Once I've selected the sounds and assigned them to the appropriate channels, I don't want to see the kontakt player cluttering up space, so the CC7/CC10 option is crucial for working on the fly... I'm not crazy about pre-fab pan levels and volume levels... Every piece of music is different...

After the piece is written, I can switch back to CC#1 for volume and go back and check out different parts of th e composition and program in CC#1 effects, or play them again with the mod wheel...

Not long from now we'll have instruments that can employ different midi controllers simultaneously... not just dynamics, but vibrato levels, tonal quality, and other such things... simultaneous and individually controllable.. at last!

Hi Haydn, thanks for responding... Although I agree that programming in the cc#1 for expression is a great tool for realism in performance, I find that when you're working in a musical piece and you're composing, it's a lot easier to work it from the sequencer than it is from the kontakt player... Once I've selected the sounds and assigned them to the appropriate channels, I don't want to see the kontakt player cluttering up space, so the CC7/CC10 option is crucial for working on the fly... I'm not crazy about pre-fab pan levels and volume levels... Every piece of music is different...

This is why I have basic template setups with preset volume levels and pans depending on the size and type of orchestra I'm emulating. Then I don't have to screw around with volume and pan levels. I can just grab my CC1 slider which is programmed inside of using the mod lever. Pan levels shouldn't change in an orchestra piece as the players are seated and don't normally move around.

CC7 volume levels if not set properly will cause nasty clipping which has been a common problem on both this forum and on East West forums with the Quantum Leap libraries. I used to use CC7 quite a bit in the past with GigaStudio but when GPO came out, I had to do a paradigm shift to use CC1. I now program all my other libraries to use CC1 with many of the features of GPO because I like how GPO works and it makes things consistent.

Go Back to forum