• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bothersome Startup Screens

Share/Bookmark

Bothersome Startup Screens

Hello, everyone -
    I'm glad to finally get onto this Forum. I've had some problems logging-on for the last couple of weeks. I got the GPO Group Buy a couple of weeks ago. I had difficulty registering with NI, but they said they had server problems that day. I don't know if this is related to that or not.

Every time that I start my computer, I get 6 screens related to GPO that have to be cleared before I have a clear (my normal) Desktop. These screens are, in order of appearance:
    1. A small dialogue box that says "Webpage is not available offline." (I am, of course, not on line during startup).
    2. The GPO greeting letter with ". . . /ReadMe.ht . ." in the URL address box. (I guess you can't have partial URLs in posts).
    3. A 'blank' webpage stating that it cannot be accessed while offline with . . . w.native-instruments.n . . in the URL address box.
    4. The StandAlone GPO.
    5. A small dialogue box that says, "GPO is successfully authorized."
    6. The NI Registration Tool with all of the numbers filled in.

This is rather bothersome and I haven't found a switch or something to turn them off. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanx.

Frank Newman

Re: Bothersome Startup Screens

Quote Originally Posted by frnewman
    Hello, everyone -
    I'm glad to finally get onto this Forum. I've had some problems logging-on for the last couple of weeks. I got the GPO Group Buy a couple of weeks ago. I had difficulty registering with NI, but they said they had server problems that day. I don't know if this is related to that or not.

Every time that I start my computer, I get 6 screens related to GPO that have to be cleared before I have a clear (my normal) Desktop. These screens are, in order of appearance:
    1. A small dialogue box that says "Webpage is not available offline." (I am, of course, not on line during startup).
    2. The GPO greeting letter with ". . . /ReadMe.ht . ." in the URL address box. (I guess you can't have partial URLs in posts).
    3. A 'blank' webpage stating that it cannot be accessed while offline with . . . w.native-instruments.n . . in the URL address box.
    4. The StandAlone GPO.
    5. A small dialogue box that says, "GPO is successfully authorized."
    6. The NI Registration Tool with all of the numbers filled in.

This is rather bothersome and I haven't found a switch or something to turn them off. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanx.

Frank Newman

Surely a strange situation. I have encountered similar things with other programs. I don't remember the solution, but I would start with saving the registration information, the un-install and install again.

Richard

frnewman

I hope that by now you have solved this problem.

If not it sounds to me like some program is trying to access the internet (perhaps your web browser). That would explain the page not available off-line message. Before clicking ok or cancel, check and see what is running. You may see it in the status bar or you may have to call up the taskmanager (control-alt-delete) and look at the lists of running processes and applications.

If this is the case (something is trying to access the internet) after you've saved the registration information (very important) click on the application in the status bar (if it is visible) and find out what web page or script or whatever is running. One thing that can sometimes persuade a recalcitrant browser to behave better is to set the default homepage to blank.

In any case, I trust this information is not needed because you've already solved the problem.

Regards

Chet

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I have not been able to access the Forum except long enough to post this thread. The "Contact" people insist that it is a problem with my computer. I think otherwise.

Richard -
    To uninstall and re-install is the LAST thing that I will attempt. I have had some terrible experiences trying this. I think that I am beyond my 30 installation period, too.

Chet -
    When I registered GPO with NI, they said that they were having computer (or server) problems that day. This could be a source of these screens automatically coming up at startup.

Since I posted this thread, one of the screens does not come up anymore. I think it is the first one that I listed.

Does anyone know of a switch with the GPO Standalone that may cause it to come up on startup? I have looked at the Startup files and I cannot find anything related to GPO. I have the GPO icon on my desktop (along with several other music programs that do not automatically activate upon startup).

Also, why should the GPO Readme letter come up after installation? I seem to remember that I checked the option to display the Readme file at the conclusion of installation, but that has always been a 'one time' deal with other program installations.

Thanx for the replies. I hope that more replies are forthcoming. Maybe I have figured out how to access this Forum.

Frank
    P4 2.6GHz 1.5GB 200+120GB EMU 1820
    Sonar 4PE, 3D speaker array (for AcousModules)
    Cameleon 5000, Vokko, Crystal synth, Orion Platinum

It sounds like PersonalOrchestraRegistrationTool.exe is autostarting when Windows boots. This could happen if it's either listed in "Start Menu | All Programs | Start" or otherwise has a registry key telling Windows to autostart it.

You can check the latter if you download and run a small free application called AutostartViewer from DiamondCS , an austalian based computer security vendor. It lists all autostarting processes, and you can use it to deregister processes, you don't want to autostart.

This might help you solve at least some of the problem.

Something else you should do is check the contents of the Startup folder... if you have icons in there, they will launch whenever you log into your Windows.

EDIT: I just realised the previous post to this one eluded to a similar solution. Sorry about that.
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Thanx for your comments.

I looked at the Startup folders, again. There was a "Startup" subfolder that I did not look in before. Sure enough, the only things in this folder were the screens that I mentioned. I deleted all but the GPO Standalone (to delete it I would have to Uninstall the program).

So, only the GPO Standalone comes up on computer bootup. I can live with that. Without having to Uninstall it, if there is a way to have it only come up when you double-click its icon, I would like to do that.

Frank
    P4 2.6GHz 1.5GB 200+120GB EMU 1820
    Sonar 4PE, 3D speaker array (for AcousModules)
    Cameleon 5000, Vokko, Crystal synth, Orion Platinum

Frank,

you do not have to live with it. You can try this: Navigate to the Startup menu, right-click on GPO and select copy. Then, in Pathfinder or whatever explorer app. you are using, navigate to the folder, where you would like to install GPO, right-click in an empty location (or, if you can't find an empty location, on the folders name in the parent folder) and select paste. If you want a shortcut on the desktop, "right-click | send to | desktop". Finally go back to the Startup menu and delete the original GPO. If you are not confident with workarounds like this, just setup a system restore point before you do anything (this is btw always sound practice, when you tamper with the system). That way you can always go back to a system state, you know works, however squeeky it may work.

I hope this will help you.

Go Back to forum