• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS3 v3.1x won't start

Share/Bookmark

Arrow GS3 v3.1x won't start

Has this happened to anyone else?

From time to time when I try and launch GS3 v3.1x (latest patch) it hangs, pegs the processor to 100% duty cycle and just sits there, apparently stalled on load.

Drives the CPU & system board temp up -> up -> UP until I'm forced to reset, which causes both the OS (win xp sp2) and GS3 to have fits when re-launching, GS3 always going into diagnostic mode after this.

PC Spec:

AMD Athlon 64 3200 running at 2.1ghz
    RAM: 1 gigabyte
    HD space - 320 gigabytes
    OS - Windows XP Service Pack 2
    Audio interface: M-Audio Audiophile 192 running in 44,000 sampling mode

Video drivers and other are all up to the latest. No TSR's or other pesky start-up apps interfering with the system ( I think ).

Any ideas? I'm going to drop the same in email to Tascam support and see what they say.

Thanks,

Dave

Re: GS3 v3.1x won't start

It's me again...
    I looked back on your earlier questions. What do you have on your OS drive?
    You have a modem and internet connection? You have Nortons? You use Outlook? They could be the problem...
    Search for these and follow advise.
    ( I took the plunge and have one dedicated machine for music. All the usual garbage collected is on an other, much slower computer, NOT connected to my music-machine. Since I did this, I never had any problems. This does not prove anything, but sure indicates that Giga does not like other programs..)

Ted

Re: GS3 v3.1x won't start

Thank you for both of your replies

Yes, it's not a dedicated music machine. I'm planning on building one, and judging by the way GS3 eats up processor cycles when loading instruments with 3d convolution modeling, I'm going to build a dual processor box (at the very least) with 2+GB RAM. Actually thinking about it, if I loaded instrument patches on all the channels of all the banks, maybe a quad processor box would be more in order? Or a box that supports two dual-core processors?

Anyway, thanks, I'll reboot fresh before launching GS3 and make sure I don't have other than the system required TSR's loading at startup (audio control panel and so forth) and use a utility to flush out the RAM.

Until then I'll have to deal with the minor issues - nothing ever gets seriously broken, and I can bypass diagnostic mode and get right in after a lock-up hard shutdown.

Thanks again

Dave

Go Back to forum