• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My new system--working great!

Share/Bookmark

My new system--working great!

Many thanks to all members who have posted here about their systems. I\'ve lurked here the last few months prior to putting together my first Gigastudio system. What I learned here was instrumental (no pun intended :-)) to my success. Here\'s what I\'ve got:

Custom built system for $1,100 USD
    PIII 933 mhz
    256M ram
    2 Western Digital drives 20 & 40 G
    Intel chipset 815E/Intel Motherboard
    Window 98SE
    Dedicated machine to Gigastudio 96
    Use protools on a Mac for sequencer
    Egosys WaMi Rack

Sounds great and I get full polyphony (96 voices) with no clicks or pops or problems.
    I\'ve also got file sharing set up between the PC and Mac so I can toss files back and forth.

I\'m having a great time getting to know Gigastudio. It\'s everything I hoped it would be!

Re: My new system--working great!

Do you use it for timing critical applications like drum programming?

I just completed a latency test on all my midi gear. I used Pro Tools with a midi track triggering each module and recording the result back into Pro Tools on an audio track. I use an Opcode Studio 128x for midi ports out of the Pro Tools Mac. Here\'s the results:

Gigastudio: 9 ms
    EMU sampler: 8 ms
    EMU Orbit: 6 ms
    Alesis DMPro: 5 ms
    Kurtzweil: 4 ms
    Roland: 4 ms

While 9 ms is a bit, it\'s only a 5 ms spread from the quickest modules (Roland & Kurtzweil). I can live with it. If something really gets to bugging me, I\'ll just slide the audio or midi back the appropriate amount.

Hope that helps.

Ben,
    I\'ve just started using it so I can\'t quite tell yet. I hung onto some EMU stuff I had so I can cover more timing sensitive stuff if the GS doesn\'t make it. I mainly got it to do orchestral stuff. I\'ll try and do a latency test in the next day or two and I\'ll post the results here--hope I\'m not horrified!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pdevault:
    [B] What I learned here was instrumental (no pun intended :-)) to my success. Here\'s what I\'ve got:

Custom built system for $1,100 USD
    PIII 933 mhz
    256M ram
    2 Western Digital drives 20 & 40 G
    Intel chipset 815E/Intel Motherboard
    Window 98SE
    Dedicated machine to Gigastudio 96
    Use protools on a Mac for sequencer
    Egosys WaMi Rack
    ---------

Thanks for this post. I\'m using a Mac with Pro Tools and also would be using a Gigasampler as \"another module\" in the room. I\'m a Mac guys so buying a PC is unknown territory. What is a USD?? (See what I mean?).

Also, I\'m wondering if your system would support the full 128 voices they advertise. There are so many catches to assembling this system it scares me. Glad to hear yours is working well. Here\'s a couple of questions...

1 Does your PC Card have digital outs? I would want to take the signal into Pro Tools digitally.

2 What midi interface are you using on the PC side of things?

3 Where is the best place (Translate...cheap and still good) to buy the computer? Thanks so much .

Tom,

I understand your concern in going into PC territory. I also run Pro Tools on a Mac and use the PC as a stand-alone sampler set up 20 ft away in another room. I was dreading going into windowsland. But it\'s turned out to be pretty painless and it\'s nice getting some proficiency on both machines.

There\'s lots of others here on this forum with a ton more PC experience than me so, understand, my set-up is just the way I chose to go that seems to be working well.

As to your questions:

1) USD. Sorry, no PC mystery here. I meant to indicate that the price I paid was in US dollars (USD). Just trying to indicate some awareness that there\'s more to the world than the US!

2) As to midi interface, the Egosys WaMi Rack includes it\'s own 4 port I/O midi interface. Some sound card do, some don\'t. My experience on that subject ends here.

3) I got my PC custom built by a company called Microage in Madison, WI (I grew up there). Michael Berry was the guy (he\'s at mberry@mamadison.com). He was great in price, service, speed, and follow-up support. I told him exactly what to do though, he doesn\'t know audio. Of course, you can pay extra and have one of the companies who specialize in computers for audio (like SoundChaser) put it together for you. People seem to be happy with their systems.

I also considered putting together the computer myself but decided that would take too much time (for doing it and studying it intially) and so I ended going with the route of having it built.

Let me know if there\'s other questions I can try to answer!

Tom,

Also, forgot to mention about polyphony in my last post. I\'m using Gigastudio 96. 96 voices. I\'m getting that with no problems. I\'ll be upgrading to GS 160 in the next couple months and we\'ll see how it does then.

[B]Tom,

I
    2) As to midi interface, the Egosys WaMi Rack includes it\'s own 4 port I/O midi interface. Some sound card do, some don\'t. My experience on that subject ends here.

3) I got my PC custom built by a company called Microage in Madison, WI (I grew up there). Michael Berry was the guy (he\'s at mberry@mamadison.com). He was great in price, service, speed, and follow-up support. I told him exactly what to do though, he doesn\'t know audio. Of course, you can pay extra and have one of the companies who specialize in computers for audio (like SoundChaser) put it together for you. People seem to be happy with their systems.

=====

Having Soundchaser do it would certainly work but would cost a fortune. So I would call I guy like the one you used, but I have no idea what to tell him. Hmmm.

Also, I really want a card that has digital outs on it, so I can bring it in digitally to Pro Tools, as I do now with my Roland 5080.

How much do you think the whole system should run, assuming you get someone like you had do the computer? Because the sample disks themselves have to be figured in, so it\'s a small fortune....

Thanks for your help!

Tom,

I guess the flu I\'m fighting off today is affecting the completeness of my answers! I see now that I never answered your question about the digital outs.

The WaMi Rack does have digital outs. SPDIF (both RCA and optical) and word clock in and out. I don\'t use them though; I go 8 analog out into an analog board.

There are probably cheaper options if you don\'t want any analog I/O. People seem to speak highly of the RME cards.

As far as cost, my set-up broke down as follows:

computer $1,100
    WaMi Rack $600
    Giga 96 $300
    Gefen KVM switch & cables $300
    Chicken Systems GigaTranslator $80

Total: around $2,400

These prices are rounded off street prices. The switcher allows me to use the same monitor I use for the Mac for both computers. I didn\'t have to buy Giga sounds immediately \'cause I had tons of Emu samples that the Chicken Systems software converted for me.

More questions? Feel free.

[B]Tom,

As far as cost, my set-up broke down as follows:

computer $1,100
    WaMi Rack $600
    Giga 96 $300
    Gefen KVM switch & cables $300
    Chicken Systems GigaTranslator $80

Total: around $2,400

=====
    I really appreciate the time you\'re giving me (and anyone else reading this thread and gleaning knowledge from it)!

I wonder if there are any cards for the PC with an AES out on them. Probably not...
    But the WAMI thing...which I assume is a card AND PC Midi interface, sounds good. The total price is very good..IF I can get the PC built right. Maybe you could either post, or EMAIL the exact stuff I would need to tell the guy..in fact, I could get in touch with the guy who built it for you even...I want to get this thing going,

All in all, how would you say you feel thus far about the Giga sampler approach, verses dedicated hardware like your EMU? Is it faster setting up performances (that\'s Roland-speak...that maybe presets on the EMU if I remember right)? When you get a new sample CD, do you just copy the whole thing to the hard drive or just the \"patches\" you want? I\'m interested in hearing how you feel about the practical aspects of using Giga. I am real tired of squinting over an LCD screen and creating performances.

Again, thanks for the input. My EMAIL is
    tomhartman@adelphia.net, if you decide to send anything....

Go Back to forum