• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mute an Instrument in GPO Player?

Share/Bookmark

Mute an Instrument in GPO Player?

Is there a quick way to mute an Instrument in the GPO Player? Not even reducing polyphony to zero works (it will display "0", but still plays one voice), and, strangely enough, here on Mac OS X, clicking on the MIDI icon itself, just to the left of the MIDI channel pop-up menu, looks as though it may be possible to disable it from there (the icon changes, but won't change back on a second click), but of course this has no effect anyways. It would IMHO be very useful to be able to temporarily disable individual instruments, especially when building sections.

Re: Mute an Instrument in GPO Player?

Quote Originally Posted by vic_france
    Is there a quick way to mute an Instrument in the GPO Player? Not even reducing polyphony to zero works (it will display "0", but still plays one voice), and, strangely enough, here on Mac OS X, clicking on the MIDI icon itself, just to the left of the MIDI channel pop-up menu, looks as though it may be possible to disable it from there (the icon changes, but won't change back on a second click), but of course this has no effect anyways. It would IMHO be very useful to be able to temporarily disable individual instruments, especially when building sections.

Any sequencer I have used has a mute function for any track. What sequencer are you using?

Richard

Agree with Richard, but sometimes I need to remove an instrument from a group of instruments/slots that are assigned to a single input midi channel.

To "mute" an instrument, I set its input to channel "16", which I rarely, if ever, use in a single player instance.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billp
    ... sometimes I need to remove an instrument from a group of instruments/slots that are assigned to a single input midi channel.
    Exactly my point . And I wish to quickly mute an individual Instrument in order to assess its contribution to a section I'm building, or indeed hear if there's a problem in what remains after I've muted it.. I might only need to mute the instrument for 4 or 5 seconds, so even selecting ch#16 and then going back to ch#1 is soon a bit fastidious (the vic_france-english dictionary: "fastidious" = "PITA" )

For what it's worth, this is possible in the full version of Kontakt. Not it the GPO Kontakt player, though, at least not as far as I know.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Again, What sequencer are you using?

This is very easily done in DP.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    Again, What sequencer are you using?

This is very easily done in DP.

Karl
    Hi Karl,
    If I'm setting up , say, 6 violins, all to play on ch#1 as a section, I'd be thrilled to learn how I can selectively mute one of them from the host sequencer!
    In fact, if I know that I'm going to be doing some serious programming with the GPO library, then I will of course load it up in Kontakt 1.5.3 (I do have Kontakt 2, but for the time being, I still want to be able to reload my presets in the GPO Player.), but I'm so terribly undisciplined that I often, for convenience, just load up the GPO Player, and after about 20 minutes decide that I wanted to do a bit of tweaking after all! . I would just have thought that muting an instrument is a basic enough function to have been included in the GPO Player, which is otherwise a beautifully well thought out interface for scratching out an arrangement:-)
    But, to actually answer your question, I use Cubase SX3 and DP 4.**( ). If you remember, I posted some extra Harp Glissando MIDI packets, formatted as DP Clippings, as a Cubase SX.cpr, as well as individual drag/droppable MIDi Files. (Btw, I also posted all the necessary for triggering different glissandos in realtime, for Cubase SX... not a single reply on that one yet! )

Hi Vic,

I might have misread your post, but you are right. I think it would be great if the Kontakt player had a mute function for each instrument. I don't have the full version of Kontakt, so I work a little differently. Unless you want to use some kind of filtering, say to put a violin in a box, or you just like fooling around with sounds, I have found Tom's programming outstanding, without the need for change in ordinary orchestral settings. So at this point in my life, I'd rather spend my money on more libraries and my time writing music than buying or fooling around with the full Kontakt.

As you know in DP, midi tracks are cheap, so in the player, I just assign each instrument to a different midi channel, then create a track for each instrument in DP. This allows me to make small changes in timing, attacks, cc#1 and whatever, to help with the realism. Then of course, if you want to mute an instrument, you just mute the track in DP.

You mentioned using 6 violins. I know that was just an example, but just a talk about the strings a bit, I've tried just about all the approaches to creating string section sounds that have been discussed on this forum. It is extremely time consuming to try and create large string sections with individual instruments. I've found the best compromise to get the job done is to use the sections that Tom created, and weave one or two of the solo or "player" instruments subtly throughout the passage, exposing them here and there just a tad to breathe life into the passage.

Well, I know this doesn't help with your problem, but I thought I'd throw the string thing in, since we have so many new members, and they might get a little something from it.

Thanks again for those DP harp clippings.

Best of luck,

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    ... I just assign each instrument to a different midi channel, then create a track for each instrument in DP. This allows me to make small changes in timing, attacks, cc#1 and whatever, to help with the realism. Then of course, if you want to mute an instrument, you just mute the track in DP.
    So, using DP's MultiRecord, and, for example, different settings of the "Humanize" MIDI FX plugin on each track, you can still play/record all the individual players at the same time.. nice one .. I hadn't considered that!
    You mentioned using 6 violins. I know that was just an example, but just a talk about the strings a bit, I've tried just about all the approaches to creating string section sounds that have been discussed on this forum. It is extremely time consuming to try and create large string sections with individual instruments.
    I got there, precisely because I was looking for a small section.. and some of the combinations of the individual players work very nicely together (I read up on not falling into the trap of mixing Solo instruments with "plr" instruments from the same family... no incestuous orchestras for me folks!! ). The main problem with doing that , though, is CPU usage on my system (G4 dual 1 GHz).
    I've found the best compromise to get the job done is to use the sections that Tom created, and weave one or two of the solo or "player" instruments subtly throughout the passage, exposing them here and there just a tad to breathe life into the passage.
    I have to confess that on occasions, when recording budgets are really tight (I do a fair amount of "the real thing" ), samplers have been the main bulk of the string orchestra, with an overdubbed recording session of maybe up to eight players, for exactly that same purpose.

Yes, these are very constructive times indeed...it's a good time to be making music! (I'd been waiting for a chance to use that smiley!)

Go Back to forum