• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Setting giga3 to use spdif

Share/Bookmark

Question Setting giga3 to use spdif

Help! I'm frustrated. I have a Delta Audiophile 2496 audio card. I'm wanting to use the spdif as my output for Giga3. Spdif works great with all the system sounds of the computer. I set it up in the control panel/sounds and it works great.

However, in GIGA3, as I go into "system settings/hardware" the only outputs I can enable are analog 1,2 and analog 3,4. I can't find a place anywhere to select spdif in giga3. Interesting to note that if I run a giga3 diagnostic on my system it lists spdif in the print out, yet I can't find a place to select spdif as my output.

Any suggestions????

Also, I have found that I have to turn off ZoneAlarm in order for giga3 to boot.

Dave

Re: Setting giga3 to use spdif

I can't really help with the s/pidf problem, I've never tried to use it with GS3.. but I do use GS3 with Zone Alarm running all of the time, never had a problem with the two together.

The 2496 only has one stereo analog out (1,2). Ouput 3,4 are the p/dif.

Bill,

Many thanks..... It works fine. The Analog 3,4 through me off. All of the other programs I have used sees the card as an s/pdif output and not as Analog 3,4. Again, thanks for tip.

Dave

Dave,

You should see two output masters in the DSP section. One goes to the Analog Outs (1, 2), and the other to the S/PDIF Outs (3, 4). If not, press F3, and enable the S/PDIF outputs.

The easiest way to send the outputs to the S/PDIF outpus is to go to Input 1 and set it to feed the S/PDIF outputs. Alternatively, you can rout the Inputs to Groups and route the groups to the second master output.

I just went through this for my Audiophile 192, but it didn't work. I see the meters moving in GS3, but not in the AP192 console. Hopefully it works on the AP 2496. I used the May 2005 drivers and GS3.1. It didn't work with previous versions either.

No big deal for me. I use the second outputs for converting to wave, but not for anything else.

-JF

Exclamation Re: Setting giga3 to use spdif

I don't get why this works with the Audiophile 2496 and not with the Audiophile 192 (which is also more expensive).

Does that mean that if I want to use the digital output with Gigastudio, I should return the 192 and get the 2496 instead?

Thanks,
    Hellgi

Here's something that I hadn't previously considered: S/PDIF only works at 16-bits, 44 kHz. If GS3 is set to output 24-bits (as mine is), it's possible that the soundcard isn't smart enough to truncate the LSBs and put out the audio. Set GS3 to 16-bits and give it a try...

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Here's something that I hadn't previously considered: S/PDIF only works at 16-bits, 44 kHz. If GS3 is set to output 24-bits (as mine is), it's possible that the soundcard isn't smart enough to truncate the LSBs and put out the audio. Set GS3 to 16-bits and give it a try...

-JF
    S/PDIF works up to 24 bits @ 192 Khz. If not, it wouldn't be used for connecting high-end DVD-Audio and SACD players...

Hellgi

Quote Originally Posted by Hellgi
    S/PDIF works up to 24 bits @ 192 Khz. If not, it wouldn't be used for connecting high-end DVD-Audio and SACD players...

Hellgi
    I bought a Panasonic DVD/DVD-Audio player a couple of years ago. The manual said that the full 24-bit, 192 kHz quality output was only available from the analog outputs. The S/PDIF output was limited to 16/48.

The S/PDIF spec was written a number of years before SACDs and DVD-As were produced.

From http://www.tech-faq.com/spdif.shtml

SPDIF Audio Data Rate

The SPDIF standard does not specify a data rate. Equipment with SPDIF connectors must determine the data rate from the SPDIF signal.

Common SPDIF data rates include 44.1khz, the data rate used in CD audio, and 48khz, the data rate used by DAT (Digital Audio Tape).

SPDIF Audio Resolution

The SPDIF standard also does not specify a data resolution.

The SPDIF standard supports 20-bit audio. Many SPDIF transmissions are limited to 16-bit audio, the number of bits supported by audio CD's.

Some SPDIF implementations use an extra 4 bits to support 24 bit audio. This is not supported by the SPDIF standard.

---

I think we're both right. Some of the newer, high-end stuff implements 24-bits over S/PDIF, but it might only work between boxes from the same manufacturer.

The real question is if the Audiophile 192 implements 24-bit S/PDIF (or does it automatically drop down to 16-bits) - and if the device that it's connected to is able to receive it. (I ran a loop-back test. The AP192 output fed the AP192 input.)

In any case, a 16-bit test would be a good thing to try.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I bought a Panasonic DVD/DVD-Audio player a couple of years ago. The manual said that the full 24-bit, 192 kHz quality output was only available from the analog outputs. The S/PDIF output was limited to 16/48.
    This is probably one of the many "anti-piracy" steps taken by DVD-player manufacturers (it's the same thing with SACD players).

But anyway, I agree with you and ran the test as soon as you proposed it (it never costs anything to try...). It didn't change anything though.

Hellgi

Go Back to forum