• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Inexpensive library to replace souped up JV1080?

Share/Bookmark

Inexpensive library to replace souped up JV1080?

Hi,

I just sold my old Roland JV1080 + 4 expansion cards (orch, orch 2, world, bass/drums), because I've moved over to laptop DAW setup and want to stay portable and software-based.

I found myself using the roland a lot less lately, because I can get orchestra sounds from my GPO and EWQLSO Gold, drums and percussion from DFH2 and Stormdrum, Piano from PMI Bosenderfer, synths from my various software synthezisers.

But what I miss about the Roland was that it just had TONS of sounds, especially with the expansion cards, so I could get "everything but the kitchen sink." Now if I want some random obscure instrument that's not in my specialty libraries, I have to go scouring the internet for a soundfont which may very well suck.

I'm not looking for a GM library like Virtual Sound Canvas, but I'm also not looking for a HUGE and expensive one like Colossus (although colossus is the right idea, just too big and expensive). I'm talking, $100-150 for a wide variety of bread-and-butter sounds. Or I'd even consider buying a a few $50-75 libraries for specific styles ("world" instruments, to make up for my missing roland card, for example). I'd prefer with libraries with native players, because I can't afford Kontakt or GS3 right now.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    chris.

Re: Inexpensive library to replace souped up JV1080?

I know what you mean - I have kept my 2080 with 4 expansion cards for that reason. I know several composers that still rely mainly on a Roland module for most of their sounds.

You might take a look at the Plugsound stuff. I've found it to be mixed in terms of quality, but it does offer you a lot of sounds for a small price.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    Hi,
    I'm talking, $100-150 for a wide variety of bread-and-butter sounds. Or I'd even consider buying a a few $50-75 libraries for specific styles ("world" instruments, to make up for my missing roland card, for example). I'd prefer with libraries with native players, because I can't afford Kontakt or GS3 right now.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    chris.

Don't buy the Plugsound stuff. I have it and it is mediocre at best. I also have a Roland XP-80 with 4 expansion cards (World, Bass and Drums, ORch 2 and Special FX) and use it less and less as well. BUT... every time i turn it on I smile. It still sounds damn good and, believe me, Plugsound Box will not replace it.

I wish Roland would take all of their old JV80 expansion cards, wrap a VST player around them and sell them for $99 a piece. I'd be all over that like stink on a monkey!

How about it Roland. (oh and while your at it a VST D-50...NOW!!!!!!)

All the very best,

Darren

I'm not sure about the legality, since Eric P. is involved and Roland licensing is therefore different from other keyboards (no dis, just mentioning it), but you could also use Redmatica's Autosampler. That will build you an EXS instrument automatically, which you can then import into another sampler if you're not using Logic.

The programming is simple, so you're not going to lose anything.

www.redmatica.com

Hi Chris,

Amazing I almost posted the exact query yesterday. Even the base 1080 without expansion cards is difficult to replace - when I tried to list the JV-1080 instruments that I'm missing - the void is more around bread and butter percussion and things like Glocken and the right bells - xylophone. I think I'll need to unbox the JV and hook it up. It will be interesting to hear the sounds again and compare to the soft samples.

Ive also been looking. I sold my 2080 and have my 1080 ready to be ebayed. I'd like to keep some of the old sounds. Some of my other compositions used them live. spectrasonics atmosphere uses some JV on their patches.

www.redmatica.com

I too am about to ebay my old trusty JV1080....which hasn't seen much use lately, however, there are still patches I would love to have <<just in case>>
    especially from some of the boards I have.

I have been planning on using the Autosampler for some time now to remedy this, before I ditch the piece.

Anyone use Redmatica's Autosampler yet? What were the results you achieved?

Best,
    DR

how bout we petition roland ot make a sw synth of the 1080, korg did it and I miss "beauty bells" and "strawberry flute"

I use a lot of jv/xp clasicall cards. I´m still using xp 30 and fantom xa to play live. I have tried EWQLSO/ exs 24 and laptop, but it´s very hard to move firewire drives, cables and much more, I need a lot of power and until now, no one powerbook gave me the power and performance as my old xp30 or new fantom xa. It´s much easier to turn on your keyboard and play inmediatly sounds.
    I play classical music livean use a lot of layers 4-8 sounds at time, and even with EWLSO silver/gold it´s very difficult to program full strings/brass/woods sections like in JV or SRX expansion classical cards.

Good luck

I have asked my self the same question so many times...i still have the Jv-1080 hooked up and haven't found something to replace the ease and flexibility it gives. Twist a few knobs, press a few buttons and you have your sound. And it NEVER ever crashes or deletes presets or anything weird like that.

I am thinking of getting a XV-5080 lately. Been thinking about it for years after the dissapointment of not finding anything close in the soft world.
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Go Back to forum