• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Recording with Finale 2006

Share/Bookmark

Recording with Finale 2006

I'm wondering if recordings in Finale 2006 will be able to use GPO? In the past, even if the piece used GPO, the recording was in Finale's default Softsynth.

Re: Recording with Finale 2006

GPO will automatically load and play from your Finale score. It is my understanding that the integrated NI Kontakt Player will be the default player. I'm not sure however what record to file options will be available, if any, and perhaps we can ask MakeMusic.

Quote Originally Posted by danveach
    I'm wondering if recordings in Finale 2006 will be able to use GPO? In the past, even if the piece used GPO, the recording was in Finale's default Softsynth.

Fantastic! You guys have thought of everything!

Reading the official MakeMusic posts, I have not seen any explicit statement that GPO playback can be saved to MP3.

Having said that, even if this function is not in-built, there are any number of freely available 3rd party options for recording playback and saving as MP3.

Perhaps more information will be made available as the shipping date nears.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

I guess I mistook Gary's comment to mean that we could record GPO to file in Finale. Perhaps Robert could enlighten us?

I was about to ask this same question myself. It would not be of much use to have the sounds if one cannot record with them.

I take it that the context player that comes with the upgrade to the full personal orchestra supports audio and MP3 recording (?).

Good People:

Regardless of what Finale+GPO will or will not do, there are several worthy 3rd-party applications available which will allow users to record absolutely everything a computer can "hear".

I myself have used Cakewalk "Pyro" for awhile, and know it to be a very handy tool.

Fear not: all shall be recorded in due time.

On the subject of recording, how do most users of GPO record? Do they use Steinberg or does Kontext have a audio capture feature like that of Gigastudio?

Quote Originally Posted by Xenakis
    On the subject of recording, how do most users of GPO record? Do they use Steinberg or does Kontext have a audio capture feature like that of Gigastudio?
    If I am using GPO Studio with a notation software (like I do with Finale), I use one of two apps - either the "record" feature in GPO Studio, or I use Ambrosia Software's WireTap, which does the same thing.

If I am using GPO in a sequencer, (Tracktion is IT for me!! ), than I use that sequencer's record function. Since Tracktion hosts GPO as Vst, I don't need GPO studio. (though - I do wish I could change the sample resolution like I can in GPO Studio in other apps. )

Finale 2004 and 2005 has a "save as an audio file" using the soundfont - but I am assuming that the 2006 "save as audio" will auto-detect which you are using, (soundfont or GPO) and use that as your playback sound source. You can readily use any mp3 conversion software to make your mp3 from that. If you don't want to pay, iTunes is free for mac and windows and converts .wav and .aiff files to mp3 quite nicely.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    Finale 2004 and 2005 has a "save as an audio file" using the soundfont - but I am assuming that the 2006 "save as audio" will auto-detect which you are using, (soundfont or GPO) and use that as your playback sound source. You can readily use any mp3 conversion software to make your mp3 from that. If you don't want to pay, iTunes is free for mac and windows and converts .wav and .aiff files to mp3 quite nicely.

Jerry Wickham
    All in time.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Go Back to forum