• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone for starting a...

Share/Bookmark

Anyone for starting a...

Tweaker's Anonymous club?

And a tweak tweak here and a tweak tweak there. Here a tweak, there a tweak, everywhere a tweak tweak. Heavens, when will it stop? I'm finding myself tweaking in my sleep. Getting up in the night just to tweak the modwheel so I can get another hour's sleep and start tweaking again in the morning. When will it stop? Help!!

Obsessive tweakers, stand up. We need to take control of our tweaking to the point of obsession and learn when it’s time to let go and say "enough."

Is there someone, perhaps a therapist that specializes in detweaking programming? How do we know when to stop? I've been known to tweak something to the point of ruining it.

What is the signal that one feels that says "You've tweaked your last tweak on this piece, now put it to bed."

Maybe there is just no answer. Or maybe I'll learn it if not this week, next tweak.

Karl

Ban this guy from the forum please?

Re: Anyone for starting a...

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett

And a tweak tweak here and a tweak tweak there. Here a tweak, there a tweak, everywhere a tweak tweak. Heavens, when will it stop? I'm finding myself tweaking in my sleep. Getting up in the night just to tweak the modwheel so I can get another hour's sleep and start tweaking again in the morning. When will it stop? Help!!
    I already go to bed wearing boxing gloves!
    Is there someone, perhaps a therapist that specializes in detweaking programming?
    I did once try one, but his therapy consisted of giving me a sampler (this was back in the hardware days!) where the buttons were merely painted on.. the resulting effect was as if he were holding an AA meeting in a distillery!

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    Unfortunately I'm in and I'd love to get out of that club. Who doesn't write for money doesn't have a deadline. That’s why....
    sfiks

sfiks is right. The deadline is the great motivator. You will do your tweaks faster as the bewitching hour approaches, and you will focus on tweaking the most important things, rather than the inaudibles.

Collaboration also works. You may want to keep tweaking, but your buddy will be burning the CDs and uploading MP3s while you're not looking.

How do I know? I recently did a short film score for my son, who wanted to bring the DVD to his classes on a Monday morning. He shot half one weekend, did effects during the week, and shot the remaining scenes the next weekend as I scored. It was a tie between us at the finish line. The editing was done at 1:30 am. The rendering was completed and the discs burned at about 4:30 am.

I'd love to get back in and tweak it, but it's my son's film, and he says it's done!

It's here, if you're interested...

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    It's here, if you're interested...
    Great fun, Jon! .. and excellent track, btw .. with some clever tempo syncing to picture (opening credits of course.. did you tempo to picture, or did your son do the credits to fit the track?.. nice syncing in the fight scene with the screwdriver too!:-)

Thanks vic,

I did all of the cartooning and sync'ing myself. My son edited in Vegas, and would print some parts with a timecode overlay. I imported those segments into Sonar and started composing. away. I used a click track with most everything, and played with the tempo map as needed to fit. I'd then tell my son (Professor Pow) the timecode where a given event needed to occur, and he'd slide it in. (BTW, my favorite sync moment was when the Jenga blocks nearly fall, and then the tempo slows...)

Note that Matt Ellis (Colonel Crush) also gets music credits. He's going to Western Washington University next year and will major in music. (He plays guitar and trombone.) He was my apprentice on Sunday afternoon. I had him play in rhythms and we collaborated on melodies, including the Colonel Crush theme, which he wanted to have an '80s feel. More important than the credits was the experience. He has recorded audio (his band) in Sonar, but had never done anything with MIDI. He got to experience and take part in a few cues from start to finish. It was very cool to pass on what I had to offer.

One lesson that I learned was to work with the dialog as much as possible, but to mute it for the final review. I found that I needed to mute the dialog for the first track or two, so I could really hear the metronome - especially over the gunshots! Then, I'd unmute the dialog and make sure that I kept it quiet on key phrases. But in the rush, I often forgot to do a final review of music only. Listening to the tracks afterwards revealed some rough spots that could have easily been fixed.

Back on topic... if you can fix something quickly and easily with a tweak, do it! Its those endless tweak sessions that we need to avoid.

-JF

Jon,

Western Washington has a fabulous music department. Matt picked a great place. I'm at Western from time to time (it's right across the striats from me) and perhaps our paths will cross. There are some great instructors at Western (one of them is a member of this forum).

Collaboration often creates synergy and is certainly a good way to get a job done.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Western Washington has a fabulous music department. Matt picked a great place. I'm at Western from time to time (it's right across the striats from me) and perhaps our paths will cross. There are some great instructors at Western (one of them is a member of this forum).
    Fantastic! Matt will be very glad to hear this. He was split between Central and Western, and I think he chose Western, since most of his friends are going there. Central has more of a music reputation, and even has a music-major-only dorm. I'll let him know that Western is "fabulous".

Matt has Sonar, and I've recommended GPO and more RAM, so he should be set.

My son will be off to UBC in the fall as a math major. I've let him know that I expect him to get me good seats at the Chan Centre for my visits.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Collaboration often creates synergy and is certainly a good way to get a job done.
    This is so true!

I played some melodies to audition for Colonel Crush's theme, and Matt said, "more eighties". My son came over as we played "dueling melodies". Matt played something that clicked, I turned that into the Crush melody, and both of them yelled, "that's it!". Then Matt picked up the bass and played the background rhythm. I added the chord changes, and the theme was all done, save the orchestration. It may not have been John and Paul, but I can safely say that neither of us would have come up with that theme alone.

The coolest thing was that we all took pride in the theme. There was no second guessing or rewrites. Now, whenever Matt walks into the room, I don't say hello. I just sing four notes.

-JF

John,
    i absolutely loved this clip! I laughed a lot. The music was great and fitting, and the overall quality of the production was nice - I liked the special effects gunshot flares and such.

Thanks for sharing your music and process how this all came together.

Congrats!

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Go Back to forum