• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A New Cello Concerto - by Thomas Penders

Share/Bookmark

A New Cello Concerto - by Thomas Penders

Thomas Penders, an extrordinary pianist and composer, has written a cello concerto.

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/pender-CelloConcerto.mp3

Thomas wrote this work in in 3 afternoons. The concerto was done entirely in Sibelius. This is the first movement and Thomas has done a 2nd and 3rd movement.

Thomas has an artist page in the Classical archives: http://www.classicalarchives.com/inspire/penders.html
    You can also hear more of Thomas' work at his website: www.thomaspendersclassicalmusic.com (and don't forget to sign his guest book).

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thomas, thanks for sharing the gift of your extraordinary music with us!

Gary Garritan

Re: A New Cello Concerto - by Thomas Penders

Awesome, Gary. Thanks for osting this. I'll check it out as soon as I can.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Thomas,
    What an amazing amount of work, and in only three afternoons... holy cow!
    You are quite talented to come up with all that.
    GPO is an amazing set of tools, and it sounds like you are having a lot of fun using it.

I would like to suggest using a considerable amount of mod wheel data for expression, especially in the places where the strings enter and exit. I also realize that this may have been created with a notation program, and it's possible that you don't have a keyboard with a mod wheel. Regardless, you did alot of work, and I look forward to hearing the other movements when they are done.

dpDan

Great work Thomas, and doing it in just 3 afternoons is pretty amazing...

3 afternoons???!!!!!?!??!?!!

I'm jealous!

I wish I could do that.

One comment, though.
    That one motif with the cello going really fast from B to C# to B to D# to B to E to B to F# to B etc.... would be EXTREMELY difficult (coming from a third-year cellist). Let me explain: That would leave the cellist with two options for the passage keeping in mind that there is really only one way to play B, which is 3 on the G string in 1st position. The first option would be to run up the scale returning to the B staying in 1st position or somewhere near 1st position. This would require a jumping over two strings to get back down to the B. The other option would be to do the entire scale on the D string returning every half a beat to 2nd position to hit that B again and going back up to the other position.

Both methods are pretty much impossible for me. I'm NOWHERE near pro, so I don't know if a pro could do it. My suggestion to save the cellist a lot of misery would be to transpose the entire peice to G major, then have the scale going D, E, D, F#, D, G, D, A, D, B, D, etc... This would leave the open D as the bottom note making the whole run 8000000 times easier. That way the scale could go up the A string while the bass note of D coudl just be played open.
    Or you could do the same basic thing taking it down to C major. That way the open G would be easy to get to, but IMO G is the easiest key to play in on cello.

Other than that, I REALLY enjoyed the peice! It was absolutely FANTASTIC!!!!!

Reguards,
    -Chris

What!? C'mon I ain't never heard of somebody completing an entire concerto in 3 days! Give me a break!

...well then again......uh......wait, WHAT!? 3 days!?

Smile Re: A New Cello Concerto - by Thomas Penders

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Thomas,
    What an amazing amount of work, and in only three afternoons... holy cow!
    You are quite talented to come up with all that.
    GPO is an amazing set of tools, and it sounds like you are having a lot of fun using it.

I would like to suggest using a considerable amount of mod wheel data for expression, especially in the places where the strings enter and exit. I also realize that this may have been created with a notation program, and it's possible that you don't have a keyboard with a mod wheel. Regardless, you did alot of work, and I look forward to hearing the other movements when they are done.

dpDan
    (quote= thomaspenders)
    Thank you for your kind words.
    I really experimented with the crescendo and decrescendo options in sibelius.
    However, by using decrescendos the instruments would not react to a
    midi ~C1,... message any more. The instruments would not get louder any more and i had to remove the crescendos and decrescendos and put in place the midi commands every where.( that kind of sucks because the play back is less real...)
    I can not work with a module wheel In a notation program .
    So is there any body who can give me the written midi message for crescendo
    and decrescendo. ( the one where i have to write down the entire reducing numbers of midi numbers...)

I appreciate it,
    thomas

Thumbs up Re: A New Cello Concerto - by Thomas Penders

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    3 afternoons???!!!!!?!??!?!!

I'm jealous!

I wish I could do that.

One comment, though.
    That one motif with the cello going really fast from B to C# to B to D# to B to E to B to F# to B etc.... would be EXTREMELY difficult (coming from a third-year cellist). Let me explain: That would leave the cellist with two options for the passage keeping in mind that there is really only one way to play B, which is 3 on the G string in 1st position. The first option would be to run up the scale returning to the B staying in 1st position or somewhere near 1st position. This would require a jumping over two strings to get back down to the B. The other option would be to do the entire scale on the D string returning every half a beat to 2nd position to hit that B again and going back up to the other position.

Both methods are pretty much impossible for me. I'm NOWHERE near pro, so I don't know if a pro could do it. My suggestion to save the cellist a lot of misery would be to transpose the entire peice to G major, then have the scale going D, E, D, F#, D, G, D, A, D, B, D, etc... This would leave the open D as the bottom note making the whole run 8000000 times easier. That way the scale could go up the A string while the bass note of D coudl just be played open.
    Or you could do the same basic thing taking it down to C major. That way the open G would be easy to get to, but IMO G is the easiest key to play in on cello.

Other than that, I REALLY enjoyed the peice! It was absolutely FANTASTIC!!!!!

Reguards,
    -Chris
    (Quote=thomas)
    Dear Chris,
    I never thought of it in that way. Thank you so much for that advise.
    While writing music i forget sometimes the difficulty of the soloist playing it.
    What is the use for a concert if it is not playable? Perhaps as a digitally concert but not for a real soloist.
    To transpose the music to G will take me only one button to press on.
    Or I can rewrite the cello part on some places. Because some of the other instruments might run out of range by transposing the entire piece.
    Last option for me is to read up on books for cello players. Will teach me more to think as a cello man.
    Anyway, thank you for the good advise
    greetings
    thomas penders

As for sound nitpicking, the solo cello itself might use a bit more VAR1/VAR2 tweaking on those pedally alternations to break up the regularity of timbre and tuning.

As for the rest, great stuff!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Quote Originally Posted by thomaspenders
    Dear Chris,
    I never thought of it in that way. Thank you so much for that advise.
    While writing music i forget sometimes the difficulty of the soloist playing it.
    What is the use for a concert if it is not playable? Perhaps as a digitally concert but not for a real soloist.
    To transpose the music to G will take me only one button to press on.
    Or I can rewrite the cello part on some places. Because some of the other instruments might run out of range by transposing the entire piece.
    Last option for me is to read up on books for cello players. Will teach me more to think as a cello man.
    Anyway, thank you for the good advise
    greetings
    thomas penders
    I'm glad I could be of some help.

Just curious, what instruments would run out of range and how bad would the range run out? The transpositions are only 3 semitones, then again, it's an ENTIRE 3 semitones!

Well, the peice would sound much different in a new key, even if the ranges wouldn't run out. It would probably sound brighter, but hopefully not too much brighter. I really like the current feel of the peice.

I would really hate for you to rewrite some parts for the cello--it all sounds so beautiful! Maybe it would be better if you just rewrote the parts of the insturments that would run out of range?

-Chris

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast