• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Having terrible problems, need help

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Having terrible problems, need help

Hello,

I'm a new GPO user. Prior to this, I've used Cakewalk and onboard soundfonts to sequence and produce, so the whole VST thing is new to me.

The problem I'm having appears to be with the bundled Cubasis VST 4.0 program; Everytime I wish to record a track, the timings are completely off from what I recorded. I can record with either the MIDI/Audio metronome (or both), yet it doesn't matter. If I "reset all devices", often the next recording will be accurate, but even this is unreliable. This problem occurs with both the GPO VST instruments and onboard soundfonts.

The software quantization settings and such are turned off. External/Internal monitoring doesn't seem to make a difference. Disabling midi-thru (and recording "blind") doesn't seem to make a difference.

I purchased an Audigy 2 (from SB Live!) and the soundcard settings seem fine. I've tried various ASIO latency settings, and my midi setup is rather simple. I've also tried midi-audio offset, no luck and besides I'm not using audio at the moment. My system is P4 3Ghz, 1 Gig Ram, hyperthreading disabled.

Anyone else having this problem, or have an idea to a solution? I love the sounds of GPO, yet am at this time very discouraged with all these problems.

Thank you,
    Jarrek

Re: Having terrible problems, need help

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrek2002
    Hello,

I'm a new GPO user. Prior to this, I've used Cakewalk and onboard soundfonts to sequence and produce, so the whole VST thing is new to me.
    Hi, Jarrek

Have you tried going back to your Cakewalk and trying GPO from there? Just curious to see if you get the same or similar issues.
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Quote Originally Posted by BermudaFlyer
    Hi, Jarrek

Have you tried going back to your Cakewalk and trying GPO from there? Just curious to see if you get the same or similar issues.
    Hi, my Cakewalk program is from 1992, and there seems to be no way I can use GPO with it.

Cubasis VST 4.0 has more features anyway.

Everytime I wish to record a track, the timings are completely off from what I recorded
    It's not clear to me exactly what you mean about the timings being off, Jarrek. Do you mean that the recorded material is not aligned with where you think the measure/beats are?

If so, it's possible that it's a latency issue. Your system has plenty of power 3.0Ghz P4 is great.

What are your latency/buffer settings? I'm suspecting the Audigy, which is notorious for latency issues.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billp
    It's not clear to me exactly what you mean about the timings being off, Jarrek. Do you mean that the recorded material is not aligned with where you think the measure/beats are?

If so, it's possible that it's a latency issue. Your system has plenty of power 3.0Ghz P4 is great.

What are your latency/buffer settings? I'm suspecting the Audigy, which is notorious for latency issues.

Yes, the recorded material is not at all aligned with the measures, and sometimes as much as 500ms offbeat. I've tried latency as low as 5ms, but to get rid of distortions have to keep it around 10ms; practically unnoticable. This is using the dedicated ASIO drivers. The generic multimedia ASIO drivers have huge latency, and I can see a problem using them. I even tried downloading 3rd party ASIO drivers.

The thing is, that when I select "Reset Devices" from the Cubasis "Options" menu, this problem sometimes goes away for a few minutes, but is totally unreliable.

Yes, the recorded material is not at all aligned with the measures, and sometimes as much as 500ms offbeat. I've tried latency as low as 5ms, but to get rid of distortions have to keep it around 10ms; practically unnoticable. This is using the dedicated ASIO drivers. The generic multimedia ASIO drivers have huge latency, and I can see a problem using them. I even tried downloading 3rd party ASIO drivers.

The thing is, that when I select "Reset Devices" from the Cubasis "Options" menu, this problem sometimes goes away for a few minutes, but is totally unreliable.
    This is a well known Cubase/Cubasis problem. What happens is that Cubase gradually drifts out of time the longer it is running - so it will be ok for the first few minutes when you start a session (or after a reset), but gets worse and worse at time goes on. I used to have hours of fun looping while hitting a hi-hat in 4/4 and gradually watch it creeping toward the previous beat in the bar. If you do a search on Google there are several thousand 'hits' with possible solutions to cubase/cubasis timing problems. The one that worked instantly for me (and is mentioned somewhere on the steinberg site's knowledgebase) was to change my PC from an ACPI one to a STANDARD PC. You can tell if you are ACPI if you CTRL+ALT+DEL then you will see TWO graphs for CPU Usage History (for the two pseudo-processors). This solution is a bit drastic as you then lose most of your power management, any advantages you may get from hyperthreading, and you might find you get IRQ clashes (as ACPI manages these). Also depending on how you make the change, then you might end up with problems with graphics and other device drivers that are not fixable (this can occur if you do it the 'cheap' way by changing your PC in control panel) so do be sure this is what you want to do and you wouldn't rather just get another sequencer or test out another non-Creative/non m-audio soundcard.

(PS: this timing problem apparently only occurs on certain combinations of motherboard and soundcard when using ACPI particularly those from Creative and M-Audio, so there are many users who will never experience it)

Here's the link on Steiny's site on the problem and what to do about it:

http://service.steinberg.net/knowled...1?OpenDocument

Excellent, THIS is the information I'm looking for! Thank you for taking the time to get this information to me.

I'm going to give a fresh install a try, since I often reformat my drive anyway. I'll post a reply to let you know how it worked.

In the meantime, are there any other good sequencers out there that you can recommend that don't have this Cubasis/Cubase problem?

In the meantime, are there any other good sequencers out there that you can recommend that don't have this Cubasis/Cubase problem?
    My vote for a PC sequencer would always be Sonar. Since you already used Calkwalk stuff, you should be able to get a decent upgrade price for Sonar 4. Hope the reinstall goes well.
    Tim

I agree. I am a cubase user, and I think Sonar is the way to go

Go Back to forum