• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Track

Share/Bookmark

New Track

Hello friends,

This is the first draft of this track I'm working on, any suggestions will be welcome.

www.homerealtor.us/ActionNeverDies.mp3

Bye

Re: New Track

Bump!!!

Need some suggestions, please.

First off, this is a very challenging piece to sequence for synths. I really like the overall feel and where you're headed, but I have two problems with what I'm hearing:

1. It doesn't sound "full" enough to my ears. You need a lot more instruments playing the parts. For example, when the violin plays a melody, some other instruments should be underneath them. Otherwise they sound thin. Be sure to to skip a few of the notes with these lower octave support instruments, by the way. Gives the lines dynamics.

Trombone lines also need some support, as another example. And I'd put in timpani and concert crashes to accent some of the low brass lines. You could prabably use more reverb, too.

With the beat, I'd add a 'thud" sound on the downbeats every bar (or two bars, depending on how you're counting.) It will make it sound less sequenced.

2. Some of the melodies are very meandering, to my ear, at least. I'd try to focus them and set them up more. I like the idea of them weaving through each other, but some are a liitle long for my tastes.

Vicious enough for you? I don't mean to be. Like I said, I like where you're headed, but this is a very difficult piece to pull off with samples. I'm looking forward to the next pass!

- Mike Greene

I agree with Mike. Nice samples, btw. This is a tough assignment you've given yourself, but Mike is spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Greene
    First off, this is a very challenging piece to sequence for synths. I really like the overall feel and where you're headed, but I have two problems with what I'm hearing:

1. It doesn't sound "full" enough to my ears. You need a lot more instruments playing the parts. For example, when the violin plays a melody, some other instruments should be underneath them. Otherwise they sound thin. Be sure to to skip a few of the notes with these lower octave support instruments, by the way. Gives the lines dynamics.

Trombone lines also need some support, as another example. And I'd put in timpani and concert crashes to accent some of the low brass lines. You could prabably use more reverb, too.

With the beat, I'd add a 'thud" sound on the downbeats every bar (or two bars, depending on how you're counting.) It will make it sound less sequenced.

2. Some of the melodies are very meandering, to my ear, at least. I'd try to focus them and set them up more. I like the idea of them weaving through each other, but some are a liitle long for my tastes.

Vicious enough for you? I don't mean to be. Like I said, I like where you're headed, but this is a very difficult piece to pull off with samples. I'm looking forward to the next pass!

- Mike Greene
    Thanks a lot Mike, it's not vicious[it's best I wanted - something I really wanted to hear], because I was in limbo about this track for a while and didnt know where to head. You are right at spot. My laziness stops me most of the times from working on the basic ideas I layout. I will be working on it to implement your suggestions and hopefully finish this track soon. Thanks metrobot, for listening and commenting...

Go Back to forum