• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My new Soundchaser DAW

Share/Bookmark

My new Soundchaser DAW

I just wanted to let everyone know that I just got a DAW from Soundchaser specifically for giga and sample recording. I would definately suggest that if you are in the market for a dedicated PC that you give these guys a call. They did a great job and everything works like a champ! The rack enclosure is very sturdy and houses everything very nicely.

Here are the specs:

Athlon 1.2 ghz
    768 ram
    15 gig IDE boot
    18 gig SCSI 160 recording drive
    60 gig removable IDE backup/gig drive

This thing rocks!

Donnie

PS. And yes I paid full pop for this from them and it\'s worth every penny. I just wanted to post something positive since there hasn\'t been much lately

Re: My new Soundchaser DAW

Hey Donnie,

What kind of IDE drives did you get? Are they Ultra ATA-66 or 100?
    What are the specs on them and what brand?

Thanks for the info.

What did you pay (just curious for my own investment)?

Marty,

They are IBM ATA100\'s. The 60gig is removable also.

For the sound cards I got a Hammerfall 9652 hooked via lightpipe to a ADI8-DS for the AD conversion. It sounds awesome! It makes my Gina card on my other system sound awful.

Donnie

Hi Donnie
    But here is the determining factur of wether or not you have a way cool machine.
    Do you get any pops and clicks ?
    A simple test for this is load a large piano like giga piano ,hold down the sustain pedal and play like a mad man for 5 minutes
    or so .
    If you dont hear any pops and clicks youve achieved something that Ive haven\'t been able to fix on my Pentium 3 450.
    Ill probably need to upgrade soon myself ,If this works for you maybe I will consider a athlon 1.2

Donnie,
    What type of motherboard and Ram are you using?

Hey guys it is a AMD Athlon Thunderbird 266/1.2, ASUS A7V133 Motherboard, 768 megs of PC133 RAM

No pops or clicks at all and getting the full 160 without even breaking a sweat!

The cool thing about having someone like Soundchaser do this is that everything works flawlessly about of the box. Everything is configured to it\'s max. I think my boot drive is only about 700 megs full right now!

Donnie

Hi Donnie
    Did soundchaser recommend the Tbird Athlon over a Pentium 3 or 4 for Giga studio.
    Or was it your choice to go with the Athlon?
    Thanks , Ken

Kenn,

Actually I went on Paul\'s recomendation at Soundchaser. I originally was going to get a P4 but he talked me out of it. To be honest I can\'t remember what the reason was but I can find out or you can call them.

Donnie

Donnie,
    Have you had an opportunity to see how many real time plugins you can run? Peace.

Here\'s what I do. I have two PC\'s now both running GS controlled from my Mac G4. On one PC (the PIII 550) I mostly have the winds and strings and run two reverbs and one EQ. On the second PC (the new Athlon) I have three reverbs and two EQ\'s going with over a gig of sounds loaded. The performance meter is at about 6% when at rest and 10-12% when playback is occuring. It\'s pretty sweet!! Both machines get the full 160 notes of polyphony with no problem so having 320 notes availible is REALLY nice.

A good tip that I\'ve figured out from this is to set the voice stealing to about 20 if you know that you are constantly maxing out your polyphony. I seem to get less glitches this way.

Donnie

[This message has been edited by donnie (edited 05-19-2001).]

Go Back to forum