• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Brass opinions?

Share/Bookmark

Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Brass opinions?

Does anyone have this? Thoughts on the library? What are the pluses and minuses of the library. I have QLSO Gold (but I'm not crazy about the trombones and trumpets to be honest, they sound really thin) and have Gold Pro on the way, so maybe KH Virtuoso Brass isn't really a necessity at this point.

I searched through the forums and surprisingly there's very little to no discussion of this library.

PS. Don't tell me to consider other brass libraries. I'm asking about this in particular.

Thanks in advance,

Re: Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Brass opinions?

I'll be honest. There are more cons than pros - but when it really comes down to it, it's a matter of taste. There are a couple very useful patches in the whole library (tbone staccato, tuba sustain, solo trumpet stuff, some horn sustains), but most of the patches are unusable to me. It's the way it was recorded. The new concert brass sounds considerably better though. But I don't recommend that either because there aren't any demos. Just a few playable patches.

It'd behoove you to consider other alternatives. You REALLY cannot go wrong with Project SAMs stuff, or Sonic Implants Brass (my go-to brass library).

Thanks for the information. I asked because it's on liquidation sale or something for under 150 bucks. Considering other alternatives would be in the $500-1000 range.

I did enjoy your demos on KH VB though.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Sapp
    I'll be honest. There are more cons than pros - but when it really comes down to it, it's a matter of taste. There are a couple very useful patches in the whole library (tbone staccato, tuba sustain, solo trumpet stuff, some horn sustains), but most of the patches are unusable to me. It's the way it was recorded. The new concert brass sounds considerably better though. But I don't recommend that either because there aren't any demos. Just a few playable patches.

It'd behoove you to consider other alternatives. You REALLY cannot go wrong with Project SAMs stuff, or Sonic Implants Brass (my go-to brass library).
    Demos from the Concert Brass are in preparation and will be released shortly. At $299 intro, especially the Kontakt, is very strong with it's repeated notes ability without a tool, single layers to create your own programs, and programmable attack and release folder. The sound is big and equal to if not better than other libraries. Soon, demos to verify my points.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

How long will that introduction pricing last?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the new Concert Brass for ensembles seem to have basic articulations like marc, port, sustain, or sfz? Are there any other articulations like ensemble rips, fx, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by peter269
    Demos from the Concert Brass are in preparation and will be released shortly. At $299 intro, especially the Kontakt, is very strong with it's repeated notes ability without a tool, single layers to create your own programs, and programmable attack and release folder. The sound is big and equal to if not better than other libraries. Soon, demos to verify my points.
    Better than other libraries... I'm gonna let that one fly.

Would be nice to hear some real demos of the strings as well - I hear good things about it all the time, but the current demos clearly don't do it justice.

So, when should we expect demos? Weeks? Months? How about the woodwinds?

Go Back to forum