• Register
  • Help

Topic: Newbie Piano Piece

Smile Newbie Piano Piece

Hi everyone!

Although I have been actively reading the Garritan forums for roughly two years now I haven't really participated in any discussions yet. This group buy was an excellent opportunity for me to purchase this wonderful tool and now I'm glad to have it finally!

Actually, I did receive my copy a week ago and I probably would have installed it earlier to my computer, but I had the joy to welcome our new born daughter into the world a week ago so I really haven't had any time too fool around the computer Our first child, so we're absolutely overwhelmed with happiness!

But few days before this happy event I managed to finish my first piano piece ever. I don't have any formal training in composing music, but I have been playing piano for 20+ years along with various other instruments when I get my hands on them. So now that I got GPO I just had to try how the piece would sound with the Steinway! If anyone would be interested in listening to the piece it can be found from:

It's a simple piece built upon a phrase in F-dorian scale. The name 'Portaikko' is Finnish and means 'Staircase'. I guess it was the first thing that came to my mind about the theme...

Any comments and criticism is welcome! I'm so happy to join the community here and thank you Gary for this wonderful tool!

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish

Thumbs up Re: Newbie Piano Piece

It should be the natural sequel of your nice work for piano, to add some orchestral accompainement.

Or you have some orchestral work ready to render?

Anyway....W E L C O M E !

Thumbs up Re: Newbie Piano Piece

I like this piece, Juhani.
    It is really inspired.
    Welcome to the forum.
    Hoping to hear more of your music,
    best regards,

Re: Newbie Piano Piece

WOW! For someone with no "formal" training, You sure have a finely crafted piece here!

This is a fantastic example of the GPO Steinway! I feel it is one of the hidden treasures of GPO and alone makes it worth the price of the package.

Congratulations ( and especially) - congrats on the new baby daughter! I too have a baby daughter who is now 1 month old. Fatherhood is wonderful! And now you get to share your talent with her AND with us!
    Welcome to this forum as an official GPO user!

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Wink Re: Newbie Piano Piece

Yes, excuse me, I forgot the baby.
    Really a lot of congratulations!!!!
    Best of luck,

Wine Country, Colorado

Openhands - I really liked this piece. And, as Fabio suggested, it is begging for an orchestra. Perhaps some lush strings. It's your creation but consider expanding it. It has more potential. Good work and congrats on the new family member.
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

I really enjoyed this piece! Thank you for sharing it. Hopefully, someday soon, I will be sharing some GPO work here, too...

Mark McDowell

Quote Originally Posted by mcdoma2000
    Hopefully, someday soon, I will be sharing some GPO work here, too...

Mark McDowell
    It's great that both Juhani and Mark have joined the GPO club.

A happy smile for your new baby girl Juhani,
    and a happy smile for Mark's new GPO baby,
    Isn't GPO a blast!

Enjoyed the listen! Nicely done!

This piece does lend itself for orchestration. . .

Thank you for sharing!

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Thank you all for your kind words!

Jerry W. - Congratulations to a "Fresh Daddy" from me too! Isn't it just amazing to become a father! Now I understand what my friends were raving about when they got their firsts

As most of you also suggested, I'm planning to add orchestration to the piece later on. In fact, at first my idea was to compose a piano concerto or something similar, but than I realized (for once) that perhaps it was a bit out of my league to start with something like that. I mean, I don't really know what a piano concerto is e.g. structurally speaking. Also most of my orchestral composing attempts have been rather short lived for the same reason i.e. starting out with too big intentions. So now that I got something dome, I believe it should be easier to start crafting orchestration into it...maybe.

Well, I'm just waiting to receive a new soundcard/keyboard-combo (ESI NeON actually) because my stage piano doesn't have a mod wheel so I can get into using GPO.

Thanks again for the feedback!

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish

Go Back to forum