• Register
  • Help

Topic: Less bow change noise in sustained notes

Share/Bookmark

Less bow change noise in sustained notes

Hey folks, I searched for this info for ~20 min with no luck. It's got to be on here somewhere, but I'm not coming up with the right search keyword.

I'm wondering if there is a way to eliminate, reduce or cover the noise of the bow changes on a long sustained note with a single solo violin in GPO. I respect the fact that samples are only so long...and the bow changes make a nice beginning/end to the sample loop....but is there any way to hide it a little better on a really long note?? As far as I can tell, the legato feature doesn't affect this, because it only applies when you change notes.

I'm a violinist -- have played for 18 years...just finished a performance degree in violin from a major music school (Eastman -- Rochester, NY). So I'm sure to be rather picky. But a silent bow change (especially when the note doesn't change with the bow stroke direction) is one of the most sought-after abilities among violinists. So I thought that maybe somebody at Garritan had thought of this and come up with a solution....

If this has been documented and discussed ad-nauseum, I apologize. I searched the forum and read the manual....maybe I just missed it.

The samples sound quite good in general. I don't expect to be made obsolete as a violinist because of them....but they certainly are useful and workable for a lot of things.
    --
    Mike

Re: Less bow change noise in sustained notes

No way to completely cover them. You can use the Gagli solo, which has no bowing direction changes.
    Bill

Re: Less bow change noise in sustained notes

Quote Originally Posted by billp
    No way to completely cover them. You can use the Gagli solo, which has no bowing direction changes.

Actually...that works quite well! I kinda wish the Strad didn't have the changes...as I prefer the Strad sound. My prof has a niiiiice Strad....as do all of my favorite violinists. But...the Gagliano with no changes will work for now. I'll just record it myself later anyway. :-]

Thanks for the tip!!

NOTE TO GARY & company: If you could include a copy of the Strad (and Guarneri?) patches with AND without the bow changes that would be great. I know I'm being picky...but the Gagliano sounds fine without, and not having changes makes the patch much more flexible in some situations. I'm working on a Piano-Violin-Guitar trio track right now. I could send you a clip with each patch (Strad vs. Gagliano) to hear an example of what I mean.

Thanks...I'm enjoying this.
    --
    Mike

Go Back to forum