• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: EW / QL Choir ... verdict?

Share/Bookmark

EW / QL Choir ... verdict?

I am a big fan of the EWQLSO and it has had a major impact on my orchestral template. I have been waiting with much anticipation for the EW/QL Choir. I went online to listen to the demos.. and I wasn't getting the same feeling I got when I heard the EWQLSO for the first time.

I thought "well.... maybe the demo's don't do it justice (no disrespect to the finely written demos)... maybe I should go listen to it in person at the store."

I went down to my local music store, they had it loaded into a Mac G5... and I started to audition it.

The first patch I loaded was the Church ensemble Ahhs modwheel (sorry about the name... I'm going by memory)... and right away I noticed that the Altos had a different release than the Tenors... the Tenors having a much quicker release. I found that playing block choir chords was difficult because of the way the different Voices sustained/released.

I was a little dismayed by my overall first impression, and I asked the sales guy if this was an old NFR version for demos or if this was the latest version. He said it was the latest.

Was I hearing things??? Is it possible that the presets got messed up?

Am I alone in these observations?

Thanks,

Thonex

Re: EW / QL Choir ... verdict?

Thonex...sorry, just curious, why it seems you posted 27 times on this board but when I do "list all posts by the user" i obtain just one?

Luca

Edit: after good suggestion, I guess that all his posts are on old EWQL forum.
    Last edited by Lux; 06-27-2005 at 08:03 PM.

I wasn't convinced by the demos at all. I felt they were a little too clever in "covering" the sound of the choir, by almost always doubling it and/or layering it with atmospheric instrumental parts. Hmmm, I thought - what are they trying to hide?

I wanna hear it bare. From what I can glean from the demos, there'd be some pretty major holes.

IMHO, it's a revamped VOTA...

The things u mentioned are there, and there are couple of more things like that...the bottom line is that it sounds good, and it can sound great but for that it asks for lots of tweaking in wordbuilder, and I mean lots..

Plus the thing is absolute monster when it comes to recources, to load full 3 layer dymanic SATB setup you need a 3 Gig RAM dedicated machine, If you load 2 way dynamic SATB setup you fill up about 2Gigs...Also the release trails and crosfaded wowels eat poly like mad...
    It would help if the lib was 16bit..

But if you can load it and have horse power for the poly and know how to tweak good in word builder the results are great. It's the best sounding choir lib out there and really the only thing you can compare it with is VOTA...

VOTA has no where near the recording quality of QLSC , nor the dynamic range or realism, but it has that over the top vibrato in ff and it fills up maybe 500Mb in GS3...

Also QLSC doesnt really have legato...why they call it legato I have no clue..
    What you get is normal attack patches, fast attack patches which are cool for fast percussive stuf (they call this one legato), short perccusive patches, and slurred paches which nicely bend in to a note..unfortunatly these go only up, there is no bend down into note..

Towering

And if you are using Tiger and Logic, forget it. There seem to be some newly-discovered issues with it and WordBuilder. Specifically, chords don't work, and people are having problems having it say anything.

They haven't elaborated much on what the technical issue is, other than putting out a quick advisory not to upgrade. Sort of too late for those of us who did.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Eric Doggett
    MoonDog Media
    www.moondogmedia.net

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Doggett
    and people are having problems having it say anything.

People will allways have problems having it say anything, because it's a tool that demands tweaking and good ear, if you are tone deaf have no time and patience and want just to type "I'm a composer" in and make it sing, dont even bother..

Tower

Quote Originally Posted by Lux
    Thonex...sorry, just curious, why it seems you posted 27 times on this board but when I do "list all posts by the user" i obtain just one?

Luca

Edit: after good suggestion, I guess that all his posts are on old EWQL forum.
    No prob Lux,

I also actively contribute to other forums and am suspicious of trolls. And I wanted to make sure that, since it has been a while that I've posted, I didn't offend anyone.

Cheers,

T

Quote Originally Posted by Towering Jerk
    IMHO, it's a revamped VOTA...

The things u mentioned are there, and there are couple of more things like that....
    ....VOTA has no where near the recording quality of QLSC , nor the dynamic range or realism, but it has that over the top vibrato in ff and it fills up maybe 500Mb in GS3...

Towering
    Thanks Towering for the breakdown.

It's funny that you mentioned that "over the top vibrato" in VOTA... because I was trying to find something similar in EWQLC but didn't. I do a fair amount of promo work and you can't use VOTA in promo music so I was hoping this would cover it... but I'm guessing it probably doesn't.So back to my old bag of tricks...

Also, I have to say that I noticed the sibilance on the Boys Choir's "Ss" seemed quite pronounced.... a little distracting. I'm sure they did this so that you can "hear " the "S"s... but has anyone else found this?

And lastly, I agree that anyone thinking that you can type in "I'm a composer" and have it sing the phrase should get a clue. But, with the few oversights I heard with regards to releases/sustains, it made wonder if there was less care in the programming than in (say) EWQLSO. And as a result, I'm wondring how much "cleaning up" I'll have to do in Kontakt to get this to perform the way I would like it to?

Thanks for your help.

T

I don't think what they say is that important. The important thing is that they seem to be saying something. Didn't have VOTA, so I don't know if it was the same thing, but EWQLSC feels like a really impressive tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Towering Jerk
    if you are tone deaf have no time and patience and want just to type "I'm a composer" in and make it sing, dont even bother..

Tower
    Ok, now that made me laugh out loud And it's also sooo true!
    Liam
    "The biggest risk of all , is never taking a risk"

Go Back to forum