• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to Use more than 8 Instruments?

Share/Bookmark

How to Use more than 8 Instruments?

Hey guys, I opened up an orchestral midi and am trying to GPO-tize it.
    I opened the midi into noteworthy composer and I opened GPO studio and 1 instance of the Kontakt player and loaded the first 8 instruments.

The piece has about 15 tracks but kontakt only allows 8 instruments so after I filled up one instance of Kontakt I opened up a second kontakt player and began to fill it up but the 2nd one won't play. How do I put the rest of the instruments after the 8th one into Kontakt and make them play?

Also how do you attach a certain GPO instrument to a certain midi staff? It seems to work in the sense that I just load an instrument into the first slot of Kontakt and that corresponds to the first midi staff at the top, but sometimes I load an instrument into the first slot but when I click play it plays a staff that's 5th or 6th down in order in the midi, how does that work??

Thanks guys

Re: How to Use more than 8 Instruments?

Quote Originally Posted by requiem_aeternam7
    Hey guys, I opened up an orchestral midi and am trying to GPO-tize it.
    I opened the midi into noteworthy composer and I opened GPO studio and 1 instance of the Kontakt player and loaded the first 8 instruments.

The piece has about 15 tracks but kontakt only allows 8 instruments so after I filled up one instance of Kontakt I opened up a second kontakt player and began to fill it up but the 2nd one won't play. How do I put the rest of the instruments after the 8th one into Kontakt and make them play?

Also how do you attach a certain GPO instrument to a certain midi staff? It seems to work in the sense that I just load an instrument into the first slot of Kontakt and that corresponds to the first midi staff at the top, but sometimes I load an instrument into the first slot but when I click play it plays a staff that's 5th or 6th down in order in the midi, how does that work??

Thanks guys
    Im not familiar with noteworthy notation, however what is done in finale might help. Finale sees the corresponding staves in a GPO setup as kontakt player 1 channel 1-8, player two channel 9-16, player 3 channel 17-23 ect. Im not sure about NW composer but it may be similar and you might want to check the midi settings. Sorry I can't help more, it is just a guess and someone who uses noteworthy is probably more worthy(sorry) of suggestions

Doh forget it guys I figured it out, you just have to change the 'midi channels' in each specific track/staff to correspond to which instance of kontakt player and which channel of it.

Doh...is there a delete thread button?

Ok I do have a question I can't figure out though...

is it possible to assign different channels to different parts of the SAME track?

For example say in my first staff/track I have strings playing but then I need them to do pizzicato during the middle of the piece, in my notation software I can just put a new instrument patch starting in the bar where I need them to do pizzicato, but how would I assign different parts of the same track onto different instruments like violin ensemble and pizzicato?

Ok I do have a question I can't figure out though...

is it possible to assign different channels to different parts of the SAME track?

For example say in my first staff/track I have strings playing but then I need them to do pizzicato during the middle of the piece, in my notation software I can just put a new instrument patch starting in the bar where I need them to do pizzicato, but how would I assign different parts of the same track onto different instruments like violin ensemble and pizzicato?
    Requiem,

I usually do that by putting the pizz passages in a separate track, but I seem to remember that in NWC you can change patches in the middle of a track (at least I could when I was using GM on a Soundblaster). I've never tried it with GPO and NWC. When I get home tonight I'll give it a shot and get back to you tomorrow.

Jim
    ;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

I thank you sir!

Yes you're right you can change patches in the middle of the track in NWC and I would have no problem if it was for just something like pizzicato but things can start getting complicated for example:

Say my first track is a violin ensemble and I want them to attack heavily at first with short bows or whatnot, then after a few bars I want them to be the mellow lush violins, then later into the track I'll want them to do pizzicato, then later I want then to tril and tremolo.

Does that mean for every single thing I have to have a separate track which means if I have say 10 different instruments and I want them all to perform 8 different functions throughout the piece such as trilling etc that means I'll have to have 80 different tracks for all of those separate functions? And how would that be possible anyway seeing as how kontakt will only allow 64 instruments at th most as far as I know because 8 instruments per instance and 8 instances max?

That's why I'm wondering if it's possible to just attach different channels to different parts of ONE track....

Say my first track is a violin ensemble and I want them to attack heavily at first with short bows or whatnot, then after a few bars I want them to be the mellow lush violins, then later into the track I'll want them to do pizzicato, then later I want then to tril and tremolo.

Does that mean for every single thing I have to have a separate track which means if I have say 10 different instruments and I want them all to perform 8 different functions throughout the piece such as trilling etc that means I'll have to have 80 different tracks for all of those separate functions? And how would that be possible anyway seeing as how kontakt will only allow 64 instruments at th most as far as I know because 8 instruments per instance and 8 instances max?

That's why I'm wondering if it's possible to just attach different channels to different parts of ONE track....
    I feel your pain...
    I think you have to place the appropriate notes in separate midi tracks so they can be asigned a different midi channel. There are usually ways to work around these things, but I think this is an exception. I use Garritan Orchestral Strings (GOS) in Gigastudio and have ten different midi tracks for first violins.
    I play all the midi tracks and bus all of these 10 midi tracks' audio to a stereo audio track and then I mute those midi tracks.

GPO also has KS (key switched) strings that you can use. This allows your midi track to have a note below the playable notes that acts like a switch to change the sound instantly. Just insert the appropriate (yellow) key switch note at the right time and badda bing badda boom it's done.

Try it you'll like it!

dpDan

lol I actually was thinking of you as I wrote this because I remember you saying once in that Dvorak mockup that you had something like 90 tracks or more.

Dan I was wondering about that KS thing, I couldn't figure out what it was.
    So when you press that key note, it switches but what does it switch to I'm not exactly understanding? The KS strings themselves sound like a tremolo to me, so you're telling me if you press that note they will switch from tremolo to something else? (I'm going to go try it myself in the meantime to see if I can figure it out because that is interesting indeed.)

Also I wanted to ask you, or anyone here for that matter, what are your methods of giving the strings more 'bite', I know that is an oft discussed and lamented inability of GPO but I know I can at least improve it more than what I'm doing right now.
    To give you an example, if you've listened to the confutatis of Mozart's requiem, the strings are just on fire and you can tell the players are just attacking the strings with their bows and there's a real gritty bassy bite to them that sounds like you're sawing through a tree. I know it's impossible to ever fully emulate that type of sound but I am wondering what steps I can take to at least maximize it?
    I was thinking one possibility is messing with the EQ maybe to give them alot of extra bass or on the other hand maybe treble to give it a raw scratchy sound, has anyone here managed to decently emulate any scratchy fiery strings? I'm especially interested in this type of sound as it relates to fast or con brio-esque passages like the aforementioned confutatis by Mozart.

Only thing I'm onto so far as far as that goes is to build a decent ensemble with some short bows mixed in but I need help as far as the whole velocity and knobs thing goes because I'm not really knowledgeable about any of that yet so I'm wondering if anyone can fill me in. Thanks again guys

You can read about KS in the GPO update documentation .

About the string bite: The velocity controller is used to determine the amount of attack - the higher the velocity, the more biting the attack.

Go Back to forum