• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: EWQLOGold, Mira, K2? What next after GPO?

Share/Bookmark

EWQLOGold, Mira, K2? What next after GPO?

Ok, so after being locked into the Giga world and multiple streaming servers, tons of expensive samples, for a few Rip Van Winkle years, I jumped right in and purchased GPO just for arguments sake (I have GOS btw) and was pleasantly surprised - the result being I am now able to perform a full orchestra on my measly laptop with Finale. No longer strapped and surrounded by cables and a machine room, I can freely range the world..writing my initial sketches and scores in Starbucks, on planes, and in the bathroom if I so desire. And then come back to my lair to use my laptop as another server for final MIDI edits and mixes.

So, as impressed as I am, I still desire a bit more in the sounds. No offense to Gary, but some orchestral timbre is missing. I was thinking of supplementing GPO or even replacing GPO at times with another orchestral package. The requirements being the same as before - laptop ready; able to be used in final production; not $. Never mind my current rig.

So, is EWQLOG my best option? (SoundsOnline is having a sale of EWQLOG through July 6th. $499

What else would you recommend that is in this price path?

Re: EWQLOGold, Mira, K2? What next after GPO?

If you want EWQLSO products and are going for laptop use, you'll probably wanna go with Silver instead of Gold. Either one goes well with GPO ( I have Gold and GPO).
    Tim

TGFoo: Thanks for your feedback and your opinion!

I'm curious why you believe Silver is a better option, or maybe I should say why Gold is not a good option for a laptop?

Hypothetically for GOLD:
    • Would it be possible to use a superfast laptop with 2 gigs of memory and 1 drive?
    • Would I be able to use a really fast laptop w/2 gigs of memory + external Firewire hard drive (samples)?

Silver is a better option for laptops as its intended to all be ran in RAM rather than streamed off disk - laptop drives generally arent that well performing even on high end models. You might do well with an external Firewire/USB2 drive, have to hear from others who have done this though. There is meant to be GPO Advanced upgrade coming out at some point, i'm not sure when though.

Thanks Lumpy! I am suspecting perhaps an external sample drive might be a good plan. Firewire and USB2 both options from me. Hopefully, someone will have feedback on using GOLD this way?

Yeah, there is always the upcoming GPOA.

I said Silver as opposed to Gold because, as lumpyhead mentioned, Silver is needs less resources to run (i.e. less RAM and CPU power) than gold does. Unless you have a beast of a laptop, you'd get better performance out of Silver than you would Gold. And since you're only using it to sketch out ideas till you get back to your main rig, the quality difference between Gold and Silver shouldn't really be a huge issue. Between GPO and Silver, I think you'd have enough there to do some good sketches on the road.

Just for the record, I'd say get both Gold and Silver if you had the money. Keep Gold and home and load up Silver on your laptop.
    Tim

you would be insane to pass up the half price deal on Gold. As for laptops it just matters how fast it is that you are buying/using. And not Silver works better here then Gold. Most laptops now are P4 or P3 with a gig ram etc. Should be able to do electronic music styles and orchestration styles no sweat.
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

WOw. Thanks TG and SCat.

I have a 1.6mz 2gig P4 m for the road, but might upsize if needed

Was thinking perhaps of getting both, since Silver is also on sale. Do you think I can mix the two and not blow out a configuration of one or the other?

Still unresolved is whether external hard drive will work? I could put the silver on an internal drive, and the gold on my external HD and DFD off of it...

I am sure you can mix the two and not have any probs, but I don't own silver I own Gold and GPO(did you miss that GPO Group buy?) GPO is great for Laptops I hear.
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

With a laptop like that, you should be able to run Gold on it. But yeah, an external firewire hard drive would probably be the way to go. I haven't done it myself but I've heard of people doing it and getting good results. Unless of course you have an internal HD on your laptop that's 7200 rpms (which is pretty rare, they're usually 5400 rpm).
    Tim

Go Back to forum