• Register
  • Help

Topic: getting started with GPO and Finale 2005

Share/Bookmark

getting started with GPO and Finale 2005

I recently purchased the GPO as part of the group purchase. I will be using it with Finale 2005B.
    I have gone through the tutorial by Burford, and my program doesn't have some things that the tutorial does. I called Finale for tech support, and they said I need the fourth disk. I only got 3 with the group purchase.
    My problems are when I click on a player button I have no slots. When I open Finale, GPO is not shown under the Midi Out window.
    I'm not sure if I set up the sound card correctly and I'm not sure it the plug ins went to the correct place.
    I did the normal set up of GPO and I used all the standard locations.
    I have a Dell 8400, 3.2 GHz, 1 GB ram, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS sound card.
    I registered my program at the time of instillation, but when I went to the native instrument web site for help, they said my password was not correct. I also registered the program with GPO, but the pop up keeps saying to register the program. So now I can't go to the web site for tech help.
    I'm really at a dead end right now. Finale tech support said the 2006 will have a better interface with GPO, but I have some projects now to work on.
    Thanks for your time and help.

Re: getting started with GPO and Finale 2005

Confused.

I am running finale + Personal Orchestra Studio option. I do not use the Garritan Personal Orchestra option which launches Kontact. Did you download the 1.2 version update, as well as the Kontakt updates (1.0.4 + 1.8)?

Here is how I work with it:
    Run POS which displays 8 instrument players + ambiance reverb.
    Under preferences, make sure audio is set correctly and audio driver chosen.
    Open up a player from main screen.
    Press options and make sure things are set correctly incl library path, 32 mode disabled, no DFD, no memory lock and press load button.
    Load an instrument to a slot...highlighting each slot one at a time until all are filled with instruments.

Ok, open finale.
    in MIDI setup you should have the ability to select GPO Studio1...n as an option.
    Select your outputs one at a time and set the base channels different: GPO Studio1 = 1,GPO Studio2 = 9, etc...17,25,33,41,49,57...

Now when you open a finale document, go to instruments and set them up to use the ports accordingly, and make sure you use the channel numbers based on the defaults above. For example Kontact instrument 2, channel 1 would map in FINALE GPO Studio2:9.

If this isn't doable, perhaps you need to back out and perform a complete reinstall...and contact NI for your password so you can update your license.

lhenry,

You're trying to run GPO standalone ith Finale. That won't work.

Download GPO Studio v1.2 from the Garritan website. Start it, then start finale. GPO Studio should then show up as one of your midi out options.

Jeff

Also, with GPO Studio v1.2 you'll be able to record to audio your Finale playback. But make sure you open Studio BEFORE opening Finale - otherwise it won't show up in your MIDI setup.

Your three disk GPO should have included the studio, at least I got it...but you will have to update it anyway to 1.2, so go there and get it.

Thanks for all your help. I got all the downloads and I'm up and running. I do a lot of concert band scores. Any thoughts on what to do with the sax voices?
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by lhenry@d15.org
    Thanks for all your help. I got all the downloads and I'm up and running. I do a lot of concert band scores. Any thoughts on what to do with the sax voices?
    Thanks again.

GPO-Advanced is not far off...
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Go Back to forum