• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: What do you think of the PC I'm about to buy?

Share/Bookmark

What do you think of the PC I'm about to buy?

Hi Folks. Always glad to get opinions on the forums. I am about to buy a high-end rack mount PC for use with Sonar 4 Producer Edition and Gigastudio 3 Orchestra. It will be used intially for live gigging but eventually for studio use. I can't really even think of much else to make it any better.

I already own a brand new Dell 1905FP flat panel monitor that will go into the rack using this keyboard, mouse, LCD articulated shelf system:

http://www.racksolutions.com/rackmount-monitor.shtml

The rack for all this will be custom built by Calzone. It has to have a 26" mountable depth for the monitor shelf, with front and back rails.

The sample drives will be a 3x160Gb RAID 0 configuration run by the mother board. The additional 250Gb SATA drive will be driven by a separate Serial ATA PCI card so that a separate RAID configuration can be built later for audio if needed (also so that a 4th SATA drive can be added later to the sample RAID configuration).

Custom Computer Configuration

Custom DAW
    Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz 650 EMT64
    Intel D925XCVLK
    2GB DDR2-533 4x512MB
    ATI Radeon X300 256MB Dual VGA + DVI
    Plextor 16x Dual Layer DVD /-RW
    120GB EIDE (Primary Drive)
    480GB RAID 0 - 3 x 160GB (Sample Drive)
    250GB SATA on PCI card (Audio Drive)
    Windows XP Home
    Codegen 4U Rackmount Server
    The Silent Treatment 450
    Layla 3G
    Restore CD
    Removable Drive Bay w/ 1 Tray (qty. 1)
    Extra Removable Tray (qty. 1)

Let me know what you all think. Thanks ....... Rob

If anyone wants to look at any specs for this stuff, you can see it at www.pcaudiolabs.com Their support is killer and they'll talk with you for hours helping you design a system. I was going to use VisionDaw systems but I got better response AND better prices from these guys. I'm sold on them.

Re: What do you think of the PC I'm about to buy?

HI,

first buy a dual core intel they are only slightly higher priced than the same speed single core, you would be nuts to not do this for $100.

2) trash the intel board get an Asus or Gigabyte

Scott
    ADK

check this out
    http://www.adkproaudio.com/benchmarks.cfm

But I wanted to go with a 64 bit processor so I'd be positioned when the software catches up.

Also, the ASUS board I looked at only supported DDR2 400 memory. I want DDR2 533 memory. It's faster.

I can't afford dual opteron options. They're just too expensive for me. I can afford dual zeon processors but I'm not convinced I should.

Can you suggest some specific motherboards and chipsets that you think I should look at?

Rob

Asus and Gigabyte certainly make nice motherboards, but I don't know why Jcschild said to trash the Intel board. Intel makes excellent boards, and while they might not squeeze every last bit of performance out of them like Asus does, you really can't do any better as far as stability is concerned. And that's coming from an AMD guy.

If you think you're going to want to use more than 2 gigabytes of RAM in the near future, then you should probably purchase a 64-bit Intel chip rather than a dual-core one. If you want both dual-core and 64-bit capability, buy an AMD X2 series processor (which is faster than Intel's offerings anyway).

I would encourage you to read up on DDR2 before you invest heavily into it. The marketing behind it is more substantial than any performance benefits you might see. The fact of the matter is that in order to boost the speed of DDR2 to current levels, RAM fabricators have had to lower the timings of the RAM, which essentially defeats the purpose. Think about it: Would AMD have decided not to make the jump to DDR2 if it was really better than DDR, particularly when AMD's product is more memory-bandwidth-dependant than Intel's?

But I guess if you go the Intel route, you don't have much of a choice, since they have jumped on the DDR2 bandwagon (anyone remember RAMBUS?). Just make sure you know what kind of performance increase you can expect from DDR2 533 over DDR2 400. It doesn't justify the cost for me, but after all, this is your system and your money.

Quote Originally Posted by goldberg96
    But I wanted to go with a 64 bit processor so I'd be positioned when the software catches up.

Also, the ASUS board I looked at only supported DDR2 400 memory. I want DDR2 533 memory. It's faster.

I can't afford dual opteron options. They're just too expensive for me. I can afford dual zeon processors but I'm not convinced I should.

Can you suggest some specific motherboards and chipsets that you think I should look at?

Rob
    the dual Core Intel IS 64bit ready.
    http://www.intel.com/products/proces...um_D/index.htm

both Asus and Gigabyte boards for the DUal Core (955 chipset)
    are DDR2 although no performance gain as already mentioned.

as much as an AMD fan as i am this DC intel is killer for the money and outperforms dual Xeons

Scott
    ADK

Check out: http://www.adkproaudio.com/

They have a dual core 64 bit DAW that has XP 64 Pro.

have no idea what can run in 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by newmewzikboy
    Check out: http://www.adkproaudio.com/

They have a dual core 64 bit DAW that has XP 64 Pro.

have no idea what can run in 64bit
    Not much, unfortunately.

I was running XP64 a couple of months back, but was forced to uninstall because nothing was compatible with it.

Wow. Thats sad.

I'm looking for a new speedy laptop as an option. Still undecided

Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingMan
    Asus and Gigabyte certainly make nice motherboards, but I don't know why Jcschild said to trash the Intel board. Intel makes excellent boards, and while they might not squeeze every last bit of performance out of them like Asus does, you really can't do any better as far as stability is concerned. And that's coming from an AMD guy.

If you think you're going to want to use more than 2 gigabytes of RAM in the near future, then you should probably purchase a 64-bit Intel chip rather than a dual-core one. If you want both dual-core and 64-bit capability, buy an AMD X2 series processor (which is faster than Intel's offerings anyway).

I would encourage you to read up on DDR2 before you invest heavily into it. The marketing behind it is more substantial than any performance benefits you might see. The fact of the matter is that in order to boost the speed of DDR2 to current levels, RAM fabricators have had to lower the timings of the RAM, which essentially defeats the purpose. Think about it: Would AMD have decided not to make the jump to DDR2 if it was really better than DDR, particularly when AMD's product is more memory-bandwidth-dependant than Intel's?

But I guess if you go the Intel route, you don't have much of a choice, since they have jumped on the DDR2 bandwagon (anyone remember RAMBUS?). Just make sure you know what kind of performance increase you can expect from DDR2 533 over DDR2 400. It doesn't justify the cost for me, but after all, this is your system and your money.

well spoken!!!

there are 2 choices at the moment: for single app systems which cant benefit on dualcores there is at the moment one highlight: asus 478 boards with a ct-479 adapter using a pentium-m well overclocked at (at least) 2600,hz

these combinations can give yyou up to 60 seconds in cinebench. (a mac g5 2ghz gives you only 65 seconds)

or: or for multithreated app´s: amd x2, nforce 4 (latest chip rev. a3-a4) well overclocked at 2400mhz can give you nearly 39 sec. in cinebench, bu this goes only for apps which like 2 cpu´s/cores.

to make it short: if you would ask me for the system you mentioned: forget it!!! i would not even buy one part of it.

ddr2 @ 533 mhz is bull~~~~ because its even slower then good 400mhz ddr1.
    pci-e (peg) grakas are often busting the pci bus, which can give you bad crackling. intel cpu´s beyond northwood have bad power consumption which is resulting in very noisy systems or expensive cooling solutions.

to you raid: 3x 160gb??? buy a fast raptor72gb, seagte 400gb, samsung 250gb or maxtor 300gb 16mb (in this direction for speed demands)

raids are nice but not really necessary these days 3x samsung 160gb is
    Digital AudionetworX

This is what I've modified to right now:

AMD Athlon64 X2 4400 Dual Core
    ASUS A8V Deluxe
    2GB DDR400 4 x 512MB
    ATI Radeon 9550 256MB Dual VGA
    Plextor 16x Dual Layer DVD /-RW
    80GB EIDE (Primary Drive)
    480GB RAID 0 - PROMISE SATA RAID (Sample Drive)
    250GB SATA (Audio)
    Floppy Drive
    Windows XP Home
    Codegen 4U Rackmount Server
    Quiet Operation 450
    Audiophile 192
    Restore CD
    Removable Drive Bay w/ 1 Tray (qty. 1)
    Extra Removable Tray (qty. 1)

OK, Throw the opinions at me

Rob

Go Back to forum