• Register
  • Help

Topic: Building a computer for Giga studio

Share/Bookmark

Building a computer for Giga studio

Hi All
    This thread is for listing new computer configurations that are working with Giga studio.
    It will be a reference for people getting ready to put together or buy a preconfiged computer and to see what does and does not work with Gigastudio.
    I know we have had a few simular threads like this in the past but with computers changing so fast ,what was comsidered to be a optimum computer for giga studio last year may not be now.
    So for anyone considering putting together a computer for giga studio [like my self in the next month or so maybe this will help us save some money,time and aggravation.
    So if you just bought a computer recently and its working well with giga studio please list the configuration .
    CPU
    Memory
    Motherboard
    hardware ,etc
    Please let us know how well it is performing , any pop and clicks or glitches.

/////////////////////////////
    Second post from Donnie

Hey guys it is a AMD Athlon Thunderbird 266/1.2, ASUS A7V133 Motherboard, 768 megs of PC133 RAM
    No pops or clicks at all and getting the full 160 without even breaking a sweat!

The cool thing about having someone like Soundchaser do this is that everything works flawlessly about of the box. Everything is configured to it\'s max. I think my boot drive is only about 700 megs full right now!

Re: Building a computer for Giga studio

I thought I would start this thread with Donnies new machine posted on another thread.

Quote from Donnie

I just wanted to let everyone know that I just got a DAW from Soundchaser specifically for giga and sample recording. I would definately suggest that if you are in the market for a dedicated PC that you give these guys a call. They did a great job and everything works like a champ! The rack enclosure is very sturdy and houses everything very nicely.
    Here are the specs:

Athlon 1.2 ghz
    768 ram
    15 gig IDE boot
    18 gig SCSI 160 recording drive
    60 gig removable IDE backup/gig drive

This thing rocks!

Donnie

PS. And yes I paid full pop for this from them and it\'s worth every penny. I just wanted to post something positive since there hasn\'t been much lately

Quote from Donnie

Hey guys it is a AMD Athlon Thunderbird 266/1.2, ASUS A7V133 Motherboard, 768 megs of PC133 RAM

No pops or clicks at all and getting the full 160 without even breaking a sweat!

The cool thing about having someone like Soundchaser do this is that everything works flawlessly about of the box. Everything is configured to it\'s max. I think my boot drive is only about 700 megs full right now!

Donnie

p3 800 cumine
    512 pc133 RAM
    asus cuv4x mobo
    creamware luna 2
    promise fasttrak 100 raid
    2x ibm dtla307030 (in striping on the fasttrak, holds samples)
    1x ibm dtla307030 (on the onboard ata 66 controller, holds software)
    win98 se
    midi interface: sblive (temp solution to get at least one i/o, to be replaced with a real interface, 4 port one)

-Markus

Hi Guys..

Does this system sound like it\'s going to run Giga OK? This is of course, without sound cards....

Antec Atx Midtower
    Intel 815 Motherboard with Video, sound and Lan
    Sony 1.44
    Creative 52x Cdrom
    Intel P3 1000mhz
    Western Digital 20gb
    Western Digital 60gb
    Kingston 512mb
    Geforce2 mx 200 32mb video card
    Microsoft Keyboard
    Microsoft Optical Trackball
    Microsoft Windows 98 Se

Appreciate ANY feedback...thanks

Kenn159,

I\'m trying to figure out the IDE vs SCSI thing. Are you playing gigasamples directly from the 60gig IDE drive? In general, I want to know if the larger cache and better IDE drives are okay for a sample drive vs a smaller SCSI drive. It sounds like you got some current advice from SoundChaser. Can you pass the scoop along?

Go Back to forum