• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO piano for ragtime

Share/Bookmark

GPO piano for ragtime

Friends...

I was wondering what your suggestions would be for using the piano in GPO for ragtime music. I just wrote 8 rags and would like to record them through GPO, but when I play it back it doesn't sound so good.... too much reverb, it seems.

How would you advise me to use the piano in GPO in terms of ambience, wet vs. dry, choice of piano, etc. to get a proper sound for a ragtime piano piece?

Thanks,

David

Re: GPO piano for ragtime

David,

One thing you can try is loading the "Honky Tonk" piano listed under multis. There's 2 pianos loaded here, slightly detuned. Just change the midi channel on the piano loaded in the 2nd slot to midi channel 1. I would use the dry samples with not much reverb added. Think of how much reverb you'd hear in a old time saloon as a guideline.

Just a suggestion,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by chambermusic
    Friends...

I was wondering what your suggestions would be for using the piano in GPO for ragtime music. I just wrote 8 rags and would like to record them through GPO, but when I play it back it doesn't sound so good.... too much reverb, it seems.

How would you advise me to use the piano in GPO in terms of ambience, wet vs. dry, choice of piano, etc. to get a proper sound for a ragtime piano piece?

Thanks,

David
    You didn't state your sequencer. If Sonar, select the FxReverb, diddle with it until you find a setting that you like. You can also fiddle with the Ambience reverb, but I find I can control the Sonar Rever easier. Never load the Wet instruments, which require too much memory. I always use X-Custom instruments.

Richard

Styxx wrote a "Tip and Technique on how to get the GPO Piano to sound like a Honky Tonk piano.

"Styxx achieves a honky-tonk piano sound by putting one of the GPO Steinways on Track 1 of his sequencer and the other on Track 2, but makes the second track slightly out of tune to give it that honky tonk player piano sound. An MP3 rendition of Scott Joplin's "Bethena"using this technique is here": http://www.garritan.com/mp3/ms-bethena.mp3

Check the "Demos, MIDI's and Songfiles" section in this forum for some of my original ragtime compositions, if you wish.

I use either two instances of GPO piano with one detuned or two instances of the GPO 'honkytonk' piano (left hand and right hand). Having separate piano insertions for left and right hand gives you better control over all parameters. You can also pan the left and right hand apart by just a small amount for more realism.

Regards,

Larry Alexander
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum