• Register
  • Help

Topic: Realistic Timpani Rolls

Share/Bookmark

Realistic Timpani Rolls

I'm having difficulty programming a timpani roll that sounds realistic. Any suggestions?

Re: Realistic Timpani Rolls

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjurado
    I'm having difficulty programming a timpani roll that sounds realistic. Any suggestions?
    Well, if you search this forum, you will find good information. Something like this is what you want, I think:

in your GPO player, load ks timpnai, reduce polyphony to 13, play your roll alternately with left and right hand choosing the correct note for each hand from the shaded keyboard. .

Richard

A quick search reveals THIS.
    Bill

Alternatively:

because I can't play rolls (timps, snares, or other) on a keyboard (maybe it's my premature arthritis?) I draw in lots of little notes into the piano roll on my sequencer (remembering to do left and right hand strikes), and do the following:

(1) apply a script against all the notes to give them a 10% randomness of velocity and timing... this adds an incredibly realistic texture (gone is the "machine-gun effect")

(2) if artistically required, apply relative crescendos/decrescendos over the whole phrase (being careful not to undo the relative random velocities.)

Listen to the following cue from my demos to hear the result... you'll hear timp rolls in second half of the cue, when it gets suspensful.
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Go Back to forum