• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Default RMX file failing

Share/Bookmark

Default RMX file failing

My default multi is failing. I wrote a special multi and saved it over the default.mlt_rmx as instructed. When I open Stylus, this multi, with its custom learned settings loads and seems to work. However, when I open a song that I made before I developed this new default file, none of the learned controllers function the way they are supposed to, even if I do a multi clear. I was given to understand that a multi clear would default the system to the current default file. It seems to default to neither the current file, nor the original default file, but rather a file where all the sliders on my control surface move one and the same fader and no others. Why?
    Also, I decided to program the first of four sliders on each of my eight available parts in the default multi to pitch change. I assumed that a learned controller was only active on the currently active part. It seems that when I use my physical controllers to move pitch or whatever, that I change that parameter on all eight parts, not just the one that's active. Why is that? Remember that this is only for the default when Stylus RMX first opens. When I assign loops to each part, suddenly my physical sliders only move the power filter and nothing else as mentioned above. Why?
    Last, I'm using Sonar 4.02 Producer.
    Kevin

Re: Default RMX file failing

Quote Originally Posted by kevjazz
    My default multi is failing. I wrote a special multi and saved it over the default.mlt_rmx as instructed. When I open Stylus, this multi, with its custom learned settings loads and seems to work. However, when I open a song that I made before I developed this new default file, none of the learned controllers function the way they are supposed to, even if I do a multi clear.
    That's correct. The song setting currently take precendence.

I was given to understand that a multi clear would default the system to the current default file. It seems to default to neither the current file, nor the original default file, but rather a file where all the sliders on my control surface move one and the same fader and no others. Why?
    Because you loaded a previous song that has RMX settings already in it.

Also, I decided to program the first of four sliders on each of my eight available parts in the default multi to pitch change. I assumed that a learned controller was only active on the currently active part. It seems that when I use my physical controllers to move pitch or whatever, that I change that parameter on all eight parts, not just the one that's active. Why is that? Remember that this is only for the default when Stylus RMX first opens. When I assign loops to each part, suddenly my physical sliders only move the power filter and nothing else as mentioned above. Why?
    Wait for the next update of RMX, which will be coming out with the manual in several weeks. There's a lot of additional functionality for MIDI Learn that we've added specifically to address the types of issues you are having.

Thanks!

spectrum

Spectrum,
    am I to understand that the next version of RMX will isolate MIDI Learned controllers to the currently active part in a multi?

Not exactly sure of your question, but the next version will allow you to use MIDI Learn in a lot more flexible way that should cover every type of usage. There's a lot of improvements.

spectrum

[QUOTE=spectrum]Not exactly sure of your question, but the next version will allow you to use MIDI Learn in a lot more flexible way that should cover every type of usage. There's a lot of improvements.
    Currently, if I "Learn" pitch to a slider and I expect that to only alter the pitch on the currently active part, say part 1, it actually moves the pitch slider on all eight parts simultaneously. will the new version isolate a learned behavior to the currently active part in a multi?
    Kevin

That behavior is not correct for the current version of RMX....it's something on your side. MIDI learn is one to one (1 MIDI Control to 1 RMX parameter), unless you use the Clone feature or have specifically done multiple MIDI learn assignments.

Maybe you didn't "MIDI Unlearn All" at the beginning of the process?

Sounds like you did something incorrectly, or you are sending multiple MIDI channels from your controller or something along those lines.

?

spectrum

I've tried everything I can think of and I still send on multiple RMX parts but don't know why or how to change it. You mentioned that I must have done multiple MIDI learn assignments. Yes, I'm using the same controller to send the same CC value for each of eight parts. but I assume that can be done individually. How would one do "multiple MIDI learn assignments." I don't see a command for that on the RMX interface.
    for your information, I have a Korg Triton Studio and a Pevey PC1600X, which is a box with 16 faders and 16 buttons that are assignable. I've tried using controllers on the Korg and on the Pevey with the same result. I'm using all this in Sonar 4. What MIDI channel and port should I be coming in and out of to send MIDI messages so that I don't send on multiple RMX parts?
    thanks,
    Kevin

I've tried everything I can think of and I still send on multiple RMX parts but don't know why or how to change it. You mentioned that I must have done multiple MIDI learn assignments. Yes, I'm using the same controller to send the same CC value for each of eight parts.
    but I assume that can be done individually. How would one do "multiple MIDI learn assignments." I don't see a command for that on the RMX interface.
    It's the Clone Part function.

for your information, I have a Korg Triton Studio and a Pevey PC1600X, which is a box with 16 faders and 16 buttons that are assignable. I've tried using controllers on the Korg and on the Pevey with the same result. I'm using all this in Sonar 4. What MIDI channel and port should I be coming in and out of to send MIDI messages so that I don't send on multiple RMX parts?
    thanks,
    Kevin
    For the Peavey, are you rechannelizing the tracks when you change tracks, or is it routed to RMX separately from you keyboard?

spectrum

PS. We're rapidly approaching the limitations of what service I can provide by my sporadic forum postings. It's pretty hard to diagnose MIDI systems in this kind of communication, and probably a phone call to tech support would be better.

I would also say, that at this point....it might be better to wait for the next version since many of the more complex MIDI Learn issues regarding channelization are addressed with that new version. It's quite possible that it's premature for you to be investing so much time in version 1.2, getting your system configured...it's probably better to wait until the next version which will also have a specific tutorial on how to setup MIDI Learn with a hardware controller.

Thanks for all the help. I spoke to Adam in tech support today and he says that the situation I describe IS the way the product is designed to work as of now. He didn't mention what the next version would or wouldn't do. I expect he works under an NDA. Whatever the next version is suppoed to do, please consider some of the following possibilities for future (left of the decimal point) versions.
    It would be excellent if one could tab around the interface and operate the controls with the arrow keys. Are you familiar qwith a VST wrapper called DirectiXer, pronounced Directizer? This product wraps VSTs with an option for what the developers call a generic interface that makes the various controls accessible to the blind user. Currently, neither Atmosphere, which I love, nor RMX can do this trick. It would be really cool if they could.
    In the end, think this way. While the blind user market isn't large enough to influence development directly, it usually works out that when you make something possible for the blind, you invariably make it effortless for the sighted.
    Thanks again,
    Kevin

Thanks for all the help. I spoke to Adam in tech support today and he says that the situation I describe IS the way the product is designed to work as of now. He didn't mention what the next version would or wouldn't do. I expect he works under an NDA. Whatever the next version is suppoed to do, please consider some of the following possibilities for future (left of the decimal point) versions.
    It would be excellent if one could tab around the interface and operate the controls with the arrow keys.
    Yeah...that's tough because those key commands will interfere with operations in the host application, which always takes top priority.

Are you familiar qwith a VST wrapper called DirectiXer, pronounced Directizer? This product wraps VSTs with an option for what the developers call a generic interface that makes the various controls accessible to the blind user. Currently, neither Atmosphere, which I love, nor RMX can do this trick. It would be really cool if they could.
    In the end, think this way. While the blind user market isn't large enough to influence development directly, it usually works out that when you make something possible for the blind, you invariably make it effortless for the sighted.
    Thanks again,
    Kevin
    What models of Virtual Instruments are working well for you in this way? I'd be curious as to what it is in their design that's so different from ours.

All the best,

spectrum

Go Back to forum