• Register
  • Help

Topic: Controller number

Share/Bookmark

Smile Controller number

I'm new to computer music, so any help is appreciated.

I've bought a M-Audio Ozonic, which is a portable midi keyboard with audio interface and definable controllers (faders, knobs, buttons, mod wheel, after touch). I have a painful time making it works with logic 7.

Now, GPO uses controller #18, #20 and #22.
    However, in the Appendix E of the M-Audio Ozonic user manual, it contains a list of Standard Midi Controller numbers, it said that CC 84 is the Portamento Control.

Since Ozonic is fully programable, so I could also re-program it to use with GPO, however, my question is, if I buy another product, is it likely that it will use arbitary CCs so that I have to reprogram again?

Is the information contained in the Apendix E wrong? If CC 84 is the standard for Portamento Control, is there a reason for GPO to use another CC?

Re: Controller number

GPO does not use cc#18. Please check the latest documentation from last fall's update. http://www.garritan.com/support/GPOUpdate.pdf

Of the assignable controllers, GPO uses cc#1, cc#16, cc#17, cc#19, cc#20, cc#21, cc#22, cc#23, and cc#64. The controllers cc#20 through cc#23 are chosen because those are the only ones available for representation as knobs in the Kontakt player. Design limitations like this often impose choices on developers.

GPO departs from standard MIDI assignments in many other ways - in the Expressive instruments, using cc#1 (normally modulation) for volume/timbre control is the most obvious departure but using sustain pedal for legato switching instead of standard sustain and using velocity for attack strength instead of volume are a couple of others. These things were done to allow convenient real-time expressive control for users even if they only had a velocity-sensitive keyboard, a mod wheel, and a sustain pedal.

I use an M-Audio keyboard with assignable sliders and knobs when I'm programming. I usually configure the assignments to correspond to the controllers I listed above. I save this as a setup by using M-Audio's configuration software on my computer. I also created other setups for other situations and saved them as well. Any saved setup can be easily recalled and sent to the keyboard when I need different assignments, eliminating the need to manually re-program the sliders and knobs each time I change setups.

Tom

Re: Controller number

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    GPO does not use cc#18. Please check the latest documentation from last fall's update. http://www.garritan.com/support/GPOUpdate.pdf

Of the assignable controllers, GPO uses cc#1, cc#16, cc#17, cc#19, cc#20, cc#21, cc#22, cc#23, and cc#64. The controllers cc#20 through cc#23 are chosen because those are the only ones available for representation as knobs in the Kontakt player. Design limitations like this often impose choices on developers.

GPO departs from standard MIDI assignments in many other ways - in the Expressive instruments, using cc#1 (normally modulation) for volume/timbre control is the most obvious departure but using sustain pedal for legato switching instead of standard sustain and using velocity for attack strength instead of volume are a couple of others. These things were done to allow convenient real-time expressive control for users even if they only had a velocity-sensitive keyboard, a mod wheel, and a sustain pedal.

I use an M-Audio keyboard with assignable sliders and knobs when I'm programming. I usually configure the assignments to correspond to the controllers I listed above. I save this as a setup by using M-Audio's configuration software on my computer. I also created other setups for other situations and saved them as well. Any saved setup can be easily recalled and sent to the keyboard when I need different assignments, eliminating the need to manually re-program the sliders and knobs each time I change setups.

Tom

Thank you for your clarifications.
    As I'm just beginning to use Logic and Ozonic, and now GPO, I want to config them sensibly. If I can avoid as much as possible future conflicts with new hardware/software, my life will be easier.

I have already using Enigma for programming Ozonic, thank you for the advice.

I know that midi have been defined quite a long time, and I think some of the definitions must have already be out-dated, do you know any reference that I can find, so that I could know which controllers are more safe to use?
    (What I'm currently doing is to use the undefined controllers only, but that makes my definition difficult to remember.)

Go Back to forum