• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Help with Cakewalk HomeStudio

Share/Bookmark

Angry Help with Cakewalk HomeStudio

Hi
    Could anyone help me to set uo Home studio 2002 to operate with Gigastudio. I just cannot seem to understanding what the relationship is between the ports, midi ins and outs etc. of both programs. My GigaStudio, (NDB Pipe Organ Sound Samples), work fine with my 2 keyboards and one pedal board. However when I try to play when Cakewalk is loaded I cannot get the three sounds, one per keyboard, to play simultaniously, or if I get all 3 operating simultaneously it is only with the same sound.

I haven't assigned any sounds in the HomeStudio instruments as it is not clear how to do this when using GigaStudio and this may be part of the problem but I just do not understand what I need to do!

Thanks

Re: Help with Cakewalk HomeStudio

Quote Originally Posted by pipeorgan
    Hi
    Could anyone help me to set uo Home studio 2002 to operate with Gigastudio. I just cannot seem to understanding what the relationship is between the ports, midi ins and outs etc. of both programs. My GigaStudio, (NDB Pipe Organ Sound Samples), work fine with my 2 keyboards and one pedal board. However when I try to play when Cakewalk is loaded I cannot get the three sounds, one per keyboard, to play simultaniously, or if I get all 3 operating simultaneously it is only with the same sound.

I haven't assigned any sounds in the HomeStudio instruments as it is not clear how to do this when using GigaStudio and this may be part of the problem but I just do not understand what I need to do!

Thanks
    I am not very familiar with Gigastudio, but with Cakewalk Home Studio, you must select devices and instruments. I expect your setup would require something similar to DXi or VST. First move would be to look at your options in Cakewalk to see what is available in terms of input/output devices, and be sure to select your midi interface device. This is only a starting point for you, since I don't have gigastudio, and have not used Cakewalk Home Studio 2002 for a while, since I have Sonar 4.

Richard

Giga creates it's own virtual MIDI prots. Make sure they are enabled in HS.

In Giga (which version are you using?), set HS as your sequencer. Open Giga first, then launch HS by clicking on the Sequencer button on the tool bar.

There are several poisblities for getting the audio recorded back into HS. What sound card to you use?

Pipeorgan - I use Gigastudio V2 here with Sonar 4, so I started to write a bit about that, figuring that you could see if that help, but then figured a coupla of questions first - Is it V2 or V3 of Giga you are using? Are all your keyboards/pedals set up to the same midi channel? How are they linked together - Are they all chained on the same midi bus? I'll have more of a clue (and less to type!) after that...

Rwayland, for info, unfortunately GS2 doesn't integrate as a VST/DXi (which has always made it much harder work!) and stays as a seperate app just taking a midi feed from the sequencer - GS3 apparently works as a Rewire client in Sonar, so it still operate on its own outside of the sequencing application but the audio is plumbed back in so that you can control it from within Sonar.

Cheers
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by moops
    Pipeorgan - I use Gigastudio V2 here with Sonar 4, so I started to write a bit about that, figuring that you could see if that help, but then figured a coupla of questions first - Is it V2 or V3 of Giga you are using? Are all your keyboards/pedals set up to the same midi channel? How are they linked together - Are they all chained on the same midi bus? I'll have more of a clue (and less to type!) after that...

Rwayland, for info, unfortunately GS2 doesn't integrate as a VST/DXi (which has always made it much harder work!) and stays as a seperate app just taking a midi feed from the sequencer - GS3 apparently works as a Rewire client in Sonar, so it still operate on its own outside of the sequencing application but the audio is plumbed back in so that you can control it from within Sonar.

Cheers
    Paul
    Well, thanks for the Cakewalk information. I had forgotten about that, since deciding against Gigastudio, probably for that very reason!

Richard

Oops - Sorry about that Richard...didn't see your name was at the bottom of your post, hence using your userid (and sounding very formal!)

Seriously though, if you decided not to go GS before because of the integration thing with GS2 and Sonar, then GS3 now might well be worth a look - From an integration POV it should be pretty transparent and be pretty much like a VST functionally except in an external window.

Anyrate, I'll not steer this thread away from Pipeorgan's original question any further...

Cheers
    Paul

Red face Re: Help with Cakewalk HomeStudio

Hi Biill

Many thanks for your response.

Giga creates it's own virtual MIDI prots. Make sure they are enabled in HS. Yes I have then enabled as the first 3 Giga Midi out ports in the Devises.

In Giga (which version are you using?), GigaStudio Orchestra.

Set HS as your sequencer. Open Giga first, then launch HS by clicking on the Sequencer button on the tool bar. Yes this is all operational

There are several poisblities for getting the audio recorded back into HS. What sound card to you use? Echo Gina 24.

Red face Re: Help with Cakewalk HomeStudio

Hi Paul

Many thanks for your reply.

I am using GigaStudio Orchestra v3.04

One keyboard is connected to port 1 and transmits on midi channel 1, the other to port 2 and transmits on channel 1, and the pedal board is connected tp port 3 and transmits on channel 3.

Cheers

John

Hi Richard

Thanks or the reply

I have set up my inputs and outputs in devices but am not sure what to do for the instrument settings. Seems as if the gigaoutputs are automatically routed to the defauit instrument, whatever that means! But as I am not sure about the setting I haven't changed it.

I have created a new midi only project file and configured the first three tracks to, Gigaoutport 1, gigaoutport 2 and gigaout port 3. One keyboard is routed to port 1 and transmits on midi channel 1, the other keyboard is routed to port 2 and transmits on midi channel 2 and my pedal board to port 3 and transmits on midi channel 3.

If I click the mouse on a track and play the associated keyboard or pedal board it plays ok and I hear the correct sound/instrument. However if I play all three simultaneously I only hear the one which is highlighted although all three are being recorded. When I play the recording all three instruments play simultaniously and correctly.

What do I need to do to have all three instruments sounding when I am playing/recording?

Regards

John

John,

It sounds like everything is working properly, though you may be relying on ports, when you could be using channels.

For instance, I'll often setup strings on one port, woodwinds on another port and so on. I might have violins on Port 1 Channels 1 and 2, viola on Port 1 Channel 3, cello on Channel 4 and so on. Each track in Cake points to whatever port/channel is needed.

So much for ports/channels. Now on to playing multiple tracks...

Normally, one would set each track to a unique sound and then...
    * record one track at a time
    * play back all previously recorded tracks when recording the next track, and
    * play back all previously recorded tracks during playback.

That allows every track and sound to be played uniquely.

It sounds like you want to stack things, i.e. make multiple sounds play back identically in unison. There are two ways to do this: you can stack multiple sounds on one port/channel, or you can gang ports together.

The first case is stacking. This is done in GigaStudio. Drag one sound (say piano) to a given port/channel. Now hold down the CTRL key and drag/drop another sound (say organ) to the same port/channel. Set one track in Cake to this port/channel and record to it. You will hear both piano and organ when you record, and when you play back the recording.

In the second case, you can gang multiple ports together. Port 1 is always the master. Load an instrument into Port 1, Channel 1. Load another instrument into Port 2, Channel 1 (it must be the same channel). Now click the port indicator for port 2 in the lower right of GS3. The indicators for ports 1 & 2 will turn red. Now anything sent to port 1 will also be sent to port 2. Set a Cake track to Port 1, Channel 1, and record into it. The instruments in Ports 1 & 2, Channel 1 will both play.

I've got Sonar 3, and I can make it send sounds to multiple Giga ports/channels. I don't know if Cake Home can do the same...

Just to the right of the [M] [S] [R] buttons is an arrow [->>]. Click one until it turns green. Now click the arrow for another track. Now you should be playing simultaneously into multiple Giga ports/channels.

Now you have three methods to accomplish what you want. Play with them all. Choose the one that makes the most sense for what you are trying to accomplish.

For my money, stacked instruments are the most powerful. Upgrade to GS3.1, read the "recent changes" documentation, and you'll see what I mean.

For isntance, you can stack an acoustic and electric piano, then set the velocity in the stack such that soft playing triggers the acoustic, and hardest playing triggers the electric. You can then save this stack as a *.GSI file, and use it again and again.

GS3.1 stacking rocks!

Enjoy...

-JF

Edit: when you gang the ports together, they turn bright green, rather than red. They are red when they receive active MIDI data.

Go Back to forum