• Register
  • Help

Topic: volume mixing with GPO (and HS2)

Share/Bookmark

volume mixing with GPO (and HS2)

I would appreciate anybody's advice:

I use GPO with Cakewalk Home Studio 2 (lite version of Sonar). I am finding some problems controlling and manipulating volume, both on individual tracks, and overall. I load GPO as a DXi when I am working on a project, and assign each track to a GPO player, which I load in the Kontakt player that comes up.

I have 2 particular volume issues. The first is that I tend to load a MIDI file into HS2 to work with. These files always contain key velocity data, which other DXi programs respond to, but GPO does not seem to respond to. I will have a track which tapers from a key velocity of 64 all the way to 5 (for a noticeable diminuendo), but the GPO track just keeps going at one level. I know that GPO does not respond to key velocity info, so there may be some extra step or data conversion process I am not doing.

Also, other DXi programs, such as Edirol, respond totally to envelopes, particularly volume envelopes. This is important for fading out a complete piece properly. I will draw a volume envelope in each track, and the envelopes are uniform in all tracks for a smooth fade out of the entire piece. I have tried these on some GPO/HS2 piees, and the GPO tracks totally ignore the volume envelopes.

Volume control is really important (obviously). I would appreciate if anybody can give me guidance on the two problems listed above.

Thanks!

Re: volume mixing with GPO (and HS2)

Key velocity is used for 2 different ways in GPO.

1. Strings, Woodwinds and brass - Velocity controls the instrument attack. Higher velocities cause faster attacks while low velocities are slow attacks.

2. Percussion, harp, piano - Velocity controls both volume and timbre.

Use Modulation (CC1) for controlling the volume (and timbre) of the non-percussive instruments.

Re: volume mixing with GPO (and HS2)

Quote Originally Posted by boisty music
    I know that GPO does not respond to key velocity info, so there may be some extra step or data conversion process I am not doing.
    Check out the "Velocity to CC" plug on Markleford's site. Go HERE and look for the "MFX Velocity to CC" plug.

It's a temporary solution. The best is to record the CC#1 changes for the track. Velocity is strictly for attack in many GPO instruments, volume in others. See Haydn's post above.

I have tried these on some GPO/HS2 pieces, and the GPO tracks totally ignore the volume envelopes.

Volume control is really important (obviously). I would appreciate if anybody can give me guidance on the two problems listed above.
    GPO will respond to volume and pan if you turn on the option. In the player, open the "Options" window and turn on the "Use Std CC#7 / CC#10..." button. Opinion on this forum is mixed as to whether to turn this on. I do, others don't. If you turn it on, keep volumes modest or you will overdrive the player(s).

If envelope handling in HS2 is anything like SONAR's, you can right-click the envelope and change it from a "Volume" envelope to a "CC" envelope, in this case, a "CC#1" envelope.
    Bill

Go Back to forum