• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Title Screen music

Title Screen music

Hi everyone,

I've heard some really impressive stuff on here lately. I wish I had time to write an insightful response to everybody.

I wrote this piece with the intention of creating something good to go in my portfolio. I suppose it could work as title screen music for a game, or perhaps as intro scene or character creation screen music. Ever since I got my new G5 I've been experimenting with larger orchestras. I went for absolute realism whereever I could, though I'm still figuring out how to use the brass instruments. Made with GPO and Digital Performer, as usual.

I present this piece to you with one question: Is this worthy of becoming part of a professional portfolio? Be honest. I appreciate all your comments and criticisms.

Title Screen Music

Re: Title Screen music

Hi Chris

Worthy indeed! In my opinion at least, I have to admit I'm not a critic or aware of the requirements for such a portfolio, just a simple listener. It's a great piece of music though.

Kind Regards

Hi Chris:

Yes, I think it is worthy of becoming a part of a professional portfolio. You have good melodic content, an excellent choice of instruments, fine accompaniment and your GPO product is very well done.

I also use DP and a Mac PWRBK. I am almost confined to using the AUMatrix reverb. What reverb did you use with your G5? Also, was this all done on your Mac or did you use more than one computer? How many instruments can you play at one time one the G5?

Keep up the good work and send some more of your writing/orchestrating.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Nice piece.I enjoyed it. Some very nice controller work on the Oboe solo.
    I think you could afford to lift the Oboe a little in its general level.For soundtrack type work,wwind solos are often close miked,so i dont think it would hurt the realism too much.Good stuff,keep them coming.

Thanks for listening, guys! I'm really glad you liked it.

joaz - I appreciate the oboe suggestion. I knew something sounded a bit off about it, I think that's what it is.

Rhap2 - It's Dreampoint Freeverb. You can find this audio unit through a google search. It uses about the same amount of CPU power as the AUMatrixReverb. Not the best reverb overall, but sounds really good on certain sources. On my dual 2.7 Ghz G5, using about 30 voices along with reverb and a compressor took up about half of DP's processor meter. Without effects, this same machine could probably achieve 100 voices without breaking up. And yes, I did this piece all on one computer. Peace,

Last edited by lontas; 07-01-2005 at 12:45 AM. Reason: spelling

very Nice work!

I agree, it's totaly professional.. The structure and choice of voice is very distinctive in traditional film score.

..I can envision as a backdrop to a classical animation film.

My only comment was that It ended too soon…. just when it was building up.

Thumbs up Re: Title Screen music

Well done Chris!!!!
    I really enjoy this piece.
    Also the oboe is kept very well.
    Just one thing about the end...
    it comes to fast, maybe you need to smooth that...
    Great job!
    Waiting for more of your music,

Wonderful! The orchestration and choice of instruments suits the piece perfectly. Which oboe did you use? D'amore? I agree that it does sound a little pushed back. If it's not already, try changing it to the classical oboe - which to me, has a slightly fuller sound. Then again, it depends how it is EQed. Also, I would maybe use the glockenspiel a little more sparsely when it follows the melody on strings and oboe, not on each change. The brass is great at the end but maybe create a longer crescendo before the cymbal roll.

Just my suggestions. I certainly think it's worthy of a portfolio.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

"Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall

Thanks for the additional comments, guys!

Kinvint - The first woodwind phrase you hear is actually an English Horn (I forget which Eng. Horn I used). It goes lower than an oboe can go. The actual oboe comes in at the next phrase, eight measures later (the high part). It sounds really close in timbre to the English Horn. It's the modern oboe #2. I always use that oboe because its particular overtones send shivers down my spine, every time.

Lontas, oh my word!

Beautiful! Is this all GPO?
    I didn't know you used DP.... Cool!
    I'm with Joaz here,,,, up a little on the Oboe,
    I also use Oboe 2 modern solo when I use an Oboe, it sounds the best to me too.

Just beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast