• Register
  • Help

Topic: Please help! I'm running out of midi i/o's

Share/Bookmark

Please help! I\'m running out of midi i/o\'s

Hello everyone,

I need some advice about my midi interface. I have 10+ sound modules in my rack and I\'m running out of midi outputs from my midi interface (Opcode 8port/se) which has 8 inputs/outputs.

Can someone give any advise on their setup? Do I have to buy another midi interface for every 8th module that I buy (since my midi interface has a maximum of 8 i/os)?? There must be a better way. I thought about using the midi-thrus to daisy-chain my modules together, but wouldn\'t each module have to be powered up to send the midi information from one module to the next?

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate any advice from people who have a lot of modules or keyboards.

Thanks a bunch!!

Re: Please help! I\'m running out of midi i/o\'s

I use a port for anything which is multitimbral/multi midi channel (and which I USE that way) and I daist chain gear which I tend only to use one channel on. Saves a heck of a lot on ports, but you DO need to have it all powered.

Ideally, I suppose you could use a star network with a midi port for each module (two for some dual midi port modules)and soundiver and the world\'s your oyster - but it\'s a major expense for the convenience.

MTC

Hi!

Yes, I do exactly the same as Chadwick. Everything multitimbral on its own MIDI port. I also have my Yamaha VL70m on a separate port because I use it as a interface for a Breath Controller which means enormous data flow over the MIDI. So although expensive I go for \"1 module - 1 MIDI port\" solution.
    As regards the THRU port, all my modules must be powered on to pass the MIDI through.

ondrej

Hi!

Yes, I do exactly the same as Chadwick. Everything multitimbral on its own MIDI port. I also have my Yamaha VL70m on a separate port because I use it as a interface for a Breath Controller which means enormous data flow over the MIDI. So although expensive I go for \"1 module - 1 MIDI port\" solution.
    As regards the THRU port, all my modules must be powered on to pass the MIDI through.

ondrej

Go Back to forum