• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Rain" (Solo Cello 2 and piano)

Share/Bookmark

"Rain" (Solo Cello 2 and piano)

Hey gang. Long time no post. Hope things are well with y'all.

Was messing around with the TruePianos grand piano sample (very ringy, bright...really grabs ya) and I wrote a tune and then "heard" cello in it so I fired up GPO and used Solo Cello 2 and some Lexicon Hall reverb and here you go:

http://kevinselby.com/musicfilespublic/palouse/Rain.mp3

Named it "Rain" because the repetitive motions of the piano remind me of a steady rain.

The solo piano version of it is kind of cool too since you can then hear the counterpoint melodies happening...but I think I like it best with cello and piano both.

It will be on my upcoming album "Palouse" if I can ever get it done!!

Take care and have a nice holiday!
    Kevin B. Selby
    http://kevinselby.com <-- Public site
    http://kevinselby.com/gpo <--My music catalog FREE to GPO users: username: gpo - pword: garritan

Thumbs up Re: "Rain" (Solo Cello 2 and piano)

Kevin,
    I really enjoy your piece.
    It is really full of emotions. It is blendy perfectly for a movie,
    Thanks for sharing it with us.
    I hope to hear more of your music...
    My best regards,
    Roberto

Re: "Rain" (Solo Cello 2 and piano)

Very nice piece. The cello was superb. Thanks.
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Kevin:

Really great writing here. One thing disturbed me though, as I was listening: The piano overshadows the gorgeous Cello 2 almost all the way. Reducing the volume of the piano would make this a lush, concert piece (in my opinion).

John
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

A very beautiful piece. Nicely written. The sequencing seems to capture the spirit of your composition.

A note about the title of your piece. . . "Rain". I see that you're from the state of Washington. Does not Washington receive an awful lot of rain?

Thank you for sharing. . .

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Hey gang. Finally got back from Camp Meriwether (Boy Scout camp on the Oregon coast). I am from the Eastern side of Washington state where it's a desert (normally about 100 degrees this time of year and NO rain). Boy was Oregon rainy though!!

Anyhoo...to answer Rhap 2: the whole purpose of the song is that the piano is actually the solo instrument with the cello adding harmony and inner melodies and only at peak moments does the cello come out and shine. In fact, it is meant to be in the absolute background (almost like it's in another room, and/or sitting far away from the piano) in the early stages of the piece. Then around 0:54 it finally starts to acquire a voice in the piece. It only is meant to add to the overall tonality, but then come out on top of the phrase. 1:40 is a good example of how it finally takes over the melody, and never reaches the climax at 1:59. Then it fades back a little....waiting for the next time it can shine.

Another interesting note (don't know if you picked up on it or not), is that the cello never hits "resolution" (or climax, or whatever you want to call it) until nearly its very last note, which I find interesting, and I absolutely did that on purpose. I would hover at the note right before the resolution note (usually a 2nd or perhaps a 4th or 7th, 3:18 and 3:48 were good examples of this) and not hit what the listener would expect it to hit. Then at 3:50 it fades back to being in another room. Finally, at 4:24, it is allowed to hit the climax note, and then fall slowly down into a nice ending note at 4:43. Any similarities to the concensual act of expressing love are purely coincidental.

Anyway...that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!
    Kevin B. Selby
    http://kevinselby.com/gpo <--My music catalog FREE to GPO users: username: gpo - pword: garritan

Better understanding of the piece now, Kevin. Thanks for the analysis.

John
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

However, now that you mention it (and I've had a week off from listening to it and have fresh ears)...I think you're on to something.

If I leave the current levels of the cello at the front and end of the song, it may reduce the "believability" of the cello sound (or at least make the listener scratch their head wondering why the cello is so low).

I may raise the volume on those two sections (at least up to a similar level as the sections 00:50 to 01:15 and the ending section of 03:20 to 03:50 - or maybe slightly lower)...however, I also don't want to belabour the point and have the cello bore you to tears either...

This will take some thought.

But thanks for all the comments!!
    Kevin B. Selby

Kevin:

If you modify it, I would be interested in listening to it again. Sometimes volume changes can alter one's concept of a composition which is directly associated with its interpretation. But, in the final analysis, you must be the judge of how the piece will be dynamically engineered. You plan sounds like you gave the piece a lot of consideration as far as what you wanted presented by the instruments involved. Even the smallest change needs to convince you that your model will be improved.

John

Mayor

Thumbs up Re: "Rain" (Solo Cello 2 and piano)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. Selby
    Hey gang. Long time no post. Hope things are well with y'all.

Was messing around with the TruePianos grand piano sample (Yamaha, very ringy, bright...really grabs ya) and I wrote a tune and then "heard" cello in it so I fired up GPO and used Solo Cello 2 and some Lexicon Hall reverb and here you go:

http://kevinselby.com/musicfilespublic/palouse/Rain.mp3

Named it "Rain" because the repetitive motions of the piano remind me of a steady rain.

The solo piano version of it is kind of cool too since you can then hear the counterpoint melodies happening...but I think I like it best with cello and piano both.

It will be on my upcoming album "Palouse" if I can ever get it done!!

Take care and have a nice holiday!
    Hi Kevin,
    What a beautiful piece - I found this absolutely delightful! Beautifully expressive and massively addictive!
    I too found the 'cello a bit too quiet at the beginning, I think it would almost have to be in another room to be at such a low level in comparison with the piano - but I soon forgot all about that as I was drawn into the piece and shortly afterwards the balance is totally perfect (to my ears anyway!)
    Isn't that Solo Cello 2 in GPO absolutely brilliant?!!
    As I said - absolutely delightful and I look forward to hearing more from you.
    Nice family on the website too - say hello from me here in GB
    Best wishes,
    John

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast