• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: aardvark 24/96 new driver...

Share/Bookmark

Re: aardvark 24/96 new driver...

I have aark 24
    I installed the 5.14 driver and it simply won\'t work.
    I get PCI Bus Efficiency = error
    I went back to 5.04
    I could not find the reason.
    Eilam

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eilamgross:
    I have aark 24
    I installed the 5.14 driver and it simply won\'t work.
    I get PCI Bus Efficiency = error
    I went back to 5.04
    I could not find the reason.
    Eilam
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eilam:

What sequencer are you using. I am having the same difficulty albeit with the LX6. I am using LAG and was having a great deal of latency clicks under 5.12.

Michael

Elle:

I have the LX6 and have had nothing but problems with the Aardvark upgrades. They are very buggy and NOT WELL TESTED evidently. I had horible latency problems with the 5.12 upgrade and like you could not get the 5.14 to work at all. I use Logic Audio Gold and with 5.14 it would not playback audio files in Logic without having to cause the ASIO drivers to reload.

Like you I reverted to the original drivers that came with my card and voila\' the audio tracks play flawlessly. I contacted support about this and so far no real response as to the reasons for this problem. I also let them know of your problem as well as my own.

Will post here as soon I have a response from them.

Michael

[This message has been edited by midirat1255 (edited 07-03-2001).]

I am using Cubase.
    I was told by the Cubase support that the Audio card should have its OWN interrupt.
    Go to control/system/device manager
    and click on the
    \"computer\"
    there you will get a list of interrupts.
    Your Aadvark card should have its own interrupt .
    Steering interrupts though, are allowed (when you
    do it, you will see what I mean).
    I have not yet managed to get it done,
    you really need to change the location of the card to get a diofferent interrupt etc
    (thats whgat they told me).
    I am a musician spending TOO MUCH time on computers.
    CRAZY!!!
    Dont you miss the hardware days?
    Eilam

I\'ve had no problems with the Aardvark driver updates. However, I noticed they have different versions for giga/non-giga users as well as drivers for several different cards.

Lucas I am glad you are not having any problems with the upgrades...and Eliam my soundcard does have its own IRQ.

The IRQ issue is moot. If this was the problem then it would have showed up at the initial install and subsequent use of the card. But that is not the case. With the original drivers bundled with the card it performs flawlessly. The only reason I upgraded at all was because of the new Nemesys drivers that were supposedly included in the 5.12 update and the only reason I updated to the 5.14 was for the newly included drivers for Logic Audio.

No!...this is simply a case of very sloppy programming and testing on Aardvark\'s part. If they tested it at all.

The problems caused by the updates are software based. And I have a feeling the difficulty is in the program logic itself. The driver updates are self-conflicting, writing and rewriting the memory modules until it comes to a point where the driver is basically useless.

Whe new hardware and software is introduced it goes through a series of intensive beta testing, working out the bugs as they come up until such a time as it qualifies for release as an alpha program. That is why the original drivers work so well. Evidently the subsequent upgrades have not had the luxury of good beta testing. Therefore no chance to work out any bugs in the program.

Additionally, I have yet to hear back from Aardvark on what if any solutions they have in regards to the problems I was having. The only response I ever got out of them was saying they do not have the problem and the inquired as to what version of Logic Audio I am using.

Michael

Lucas
    Where did you see different versions for Giga Non Giga users (5.14).
    I would really like to know.
    Thanks
    Eilam

Yes, Aark doesn\'t use IRQ...it bypasses this even though it shows up on an IRQ.

I had latency problems with 5.12 and had to adjust Direct sound buffer to correct this.

Now i have 5.14 and the latency issue is gone.
    I but I do get random burst attacks of static sound thru my speakers (it\'s not a pleasant experinece for me or my speakers). The static is loud and lasts about 1-3 seconds.
    After static happens then, 1) every is fine or
    2)I can\'t record anymore in Cakwalk 9 or
    3) I was previously records thru Aark 1,2 right which I now have to switch to Aark 1,2 left in order to get a reading on my Cakwalk meters.

This has been the small frustrating part of my Aark. The converters quality have been the positive side.

Anyone know why this static happens?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marty:
    Yes, Aark doesn\'t use IRQ...it bypasses this even though it shows up on an IRQ.

I had latency problems with 5.12 and had to adjust Direct sound buffer to correct this.

Now i have 5.14 and the latency issue is gone.
    I but I do get random burst attacks of static sound thru my speakers (it\'s not a pleasant experinece for me or my speakers). The static is loud and lasts about 1-3 seconds.
    After static happens then, 1) every is fine or
    2)I can\'t record anymore in Cakwalk 9 or
    3) I was previously records thru Aark 1,2 right which I now have to switch to Aark 1,2 left in order to get a reading on my Cakwalk meters.

This has been the small frustrating part of my Aark. The converters quality have been the positive side.

Anyone know why this static happens?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are right..I forgot the Aark doesn\'t use an IRQ even though it reports using one. And I agree the converters and shielding is absolutely phenomenal. That is what is so irritating about the upgrades. Yes, 5.14 did eliminate the latency problem, but like you I could not playback audio files without causing the ASIO drivers to be reloaded, which is totally unacceptable!

Another thing that I noticed when I reverted to the drivers bundled with the card was that Gst reported much less CPU usage than it did under the 5.12 or 5.14 drivers. Under these drivers Gst was reporting no less than 69% CPU usage with NO INSTRUMENTS LOADED! Now with the original driver I am getting proper CPU readings. Whether the actual CPU usage was this much I don\'t know as I was occupied with resolving the other Aark problems. It may have been a false reading. But nonetheless still incorrect at any rate.

Michael

Go Back to forum